Why separate lockerrooms?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Why separate lockerrooms?

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

A possible NFL draft pick came out this week. Some of the media have quickly pointed out that it is silly to presume that sexual preference should have any effect on a locker room environment. If that is the case, why do we have separate male and female locker rooms? Is this just another silly religious practice that has no place in civil society?

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #21

Post by Wolfbitn »

Ooberman wrote:

Yet, we are animals - Apes - and some of us can't handle civility, especially if they are raised to believe nudity is shameful and their lustful urges are dirty.
How many chromosomes do apes have? How many chromosomes do every primate in the word have? How many does man have?

"I never said it would be easy Neo, I just said it would be the truth."
Morpheous

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 21 by Wolfbitn]

Humans have 46; the other apes have 48. There is a correspondence of human chromosome 2 to two ape chromosomes. The closest human relative, the chimpanzee, has near-identical DNA sequences to human chromosome 2, but they are found in two separate chromosomes. The same is true of the more distant gorilla and orangutan. Normally a chromosome has just one centromere, but in human chromosome 2 there are remnants of a second centromere. Telomeres are normally found only at the ends of a chromosome, but in human chromosome 2 there are additional telomere sequences in the middle.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

bluethread
Savant

Post #23

Post by bluethread »

Ooberman wrote:
I think he's trying to make some kind of point about God, the Bible and some anti-gay remark, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
That might be because you are looking for an agenda. In did not imply let alone say anything about a deity, the bible or make a remark in opposition to homosexuality, that I am aware of. If I did refer me to the post and I will respond.
I think it's something like: "Why can't people who don't like gay people keep gays out of the locker rooms, just like heterosexuals keep opposite sexes apart.
No, if I had asked that question, one might ask why I think heterosexual males don't like females and heterosexual women do not like men.
I think he is trying to reduce the world into "those who have Biblically approved sexual tastes are allowed, those who don't, aren't."

There is some buried comment in his OP that if women don't like being oogled by people who get randy seeing them naked, then why are gay guys allowed in men's locker rooms, if those guys get randy at seeing men?

then he adds something about religious practices..
Yes, why are women who do not wish to be seen naked by men allowed to have separate locker rooms from men, while women who don't want to be seen naked by women not permitted to have separate locker rooms. Is that why you think there are separate locker rooms? If so, do you think that women are justified in that reasoning? What would be the reasoning for catering to women's concerns about men and not women's concerns about women?
He seems fixated on the idea that if we allow (gay) men in Men's rooms - as if they aren't men - then we should simply allow everyone everywhere... but, he might add, thank goodness for religious taboos! Otherwise, women would have to submit to men commanding them to never make a locker room for themselves, if they so see fit... or something...

Honestly, I don't understand his point.

Perhaps he can clarify?

Bluethread, can you - in very simple terms - explain what your issue is?
I did not imply that homosexual men were not men. I asked why we have separate locker rooms for men and women. You appeared to be saying that it is because a man may have an erection if he shared a locker room with women. Are you saying that this is a nonissue, because homosexual men can somehow avoid this, while heterosexual men can not?