Is the US a Christian Nation?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

r~
Sage

Is the US a Christian Nation?

Post #1

Post by r~ »

Are governments such as these United States based on the Spirit of Christ?

seeing eye to eye
Please respond short and sweet and fewer words are sometimes better.
Are Governments such as the United States of America based on the Spirit of Christ.et.al?

You go first.
What is the greatest commandment? The fewer Words the better.

ItS
peace
r~

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #181

Post by Strider324 »

If 'Christian Nation' means most people follow the teachings of Jesus, this is definitely NOT a Christian nation. Jesus never preached condemnation, so he would weep at the FRFA bigotry promulgated by so many self-proclaimed Christians. Jesus says to welcome everyone into your land, so marginalizing humans as 'illegals' would not please him. Jesus called for an ascetic lifestyle, and so American Christians lust for material possessions is just spitting in his eye.

In fact, in seems to me that I have never actually met a Christian. None of those who make the claim even remotely follow his core teachings. They should just call themselves Paulians, since everywhere that Paul contradicts Jesus, Christians seem to side with Paul.

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Re: Is the US a Christian Nation?

Post #182

Post by Hamsaka »

r~ wrote: Are governments such as these United States based on the Spirit of Christ?

seeing eye to eye
Please respond short and sweet and fewer words are sometimes better.
Are Governments such as the United States of America based on the Spirit of Christ.et.al?

You go first.
What is the greatest commandment? The fewer Words the better.

ItS
peace
r~
It's pretty clear that many Christians want the US to be a "Christian country", which doesn't make it so, but anyway.

As noted by another poster, the majority religious group is Christian in the US, which perhaps amplifies the desire for it to be so, such that Christian entitlement overreaches itself in hopes that this premise will just be accepted as truth, whether it is or isn't, and regardless of what the Founding Fathers intended when they designed the constitution.

I haven't read the preceding 18 pages either, so I'm probably repeating that Christians, in their majority and subsequent entitlement, may not realize they could not exist as such a majority, with all it's benefits, if these Christians did not (in the first place) live in a country based on secular values.

Unless I was misled in my earliest schooling, early American emigrants fled the Church of England seeking religious freedom from it.

And unless a significant number of neurons aren't firing together, what I see happening now is Christianity (in America) has assumed a Church of England-like privilege, and is attempting strong-arm tactics to enforce Christian ideologies via law and public education upon the various minorities.

The 'heterodox' Christian emigrants to America were an oppressed minority, and now a privileged majority seeking to inflict what plagued them on an increasingly wary minority of 'nones'. Just sayin'.

mubasher1984

Post #183

Post by mubasher1984 »

[Replying to post 1 by r~]

US is apparently a christian nation, but it does not abide by laws of Christianity.

mubasher1984

Post #184

Post by mubasher1984 »

Instead of following Christian laws, US is totally arrogant to the nations which do not accept its slavery, in terms of financial aspects. But God of world has now started to break its arrogance. Recent Floods and storms and quakes have shaken the arrogance of US.

Neatras
Guru

Post #185

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 183 by mubasher1984]

Alright man, you've shown you'll capitalize on national disasters to preach your own arrogant message, but I don't really wanna do this dance all over again. Let's skip ahead. When is your god gonna destroy America, which Republican nominee is the only hope of salvation, and when are you and a bunch of other Christians gonna get Raptured? I'm assuming you're "wise" enough to have already made some answers up.

Oh, and while we're at it, what constitutes a Christian nation, and how can we determine a non-Christian nation? Maybe I'd rather the US be secular, ever think of that? :P

mubasher1984

Post #186

Post by mubasher1984 »

[Replying to post 184 by Neatras]

Sorry brother, purpose of message was not to show arrogance. I am not happy to what loss of people have been there in US. And I pray that may God make them easy and make remedy of their loss.

My purpose was to say that the behavior of US Government, to other Governments is too much arrogant. For example, Trump has recently threatened Pakistan to do more, otherwise he will take strict actions against it. This threat has come at a time while Pakistan has already given 60,000 lives in terrorism and has been fighting a long war since a decade. Therefore, God does not love such behavior.......

KenRU
Guru

Post #187

Post by KenRU »

mubasher1984 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by r~]

US is apparently a christian nation, but it does not abide by laws of Christianity.
How so? Please elaborate.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #188

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by r~]

Is the US a Christian nation? I believe so, and that it is, on the whole, a force for good in the world. And I am not even an American.

But, judging by conversations I have had here and elsewhere, I think the US has it's own, rather peculiar, take on Christianity. It does not seem too sure whether it should worship the almighty dollar, or God, or if these two are one and the same thing. It seems to want to reconcile Mammon and God by assuming that God is bestowing His blessing on the nation by making it the richest in the world. And that to be rich is synonymous with being good.

Ultimately, it will be that each American, and America itself, will have to choose between wealth and virtue. I hope they make the right choice.

Best wishes, 2RM.

KenRU
Guru

Post #189

Post by KenRU »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 1 by r~]

Is the US a Christian nation? I believe so, and that it is, on the whole, a force for good in the world. And I am not even an American.

But, judging by conversations I have had here and elsewhere, I think the US has it's own, rather peculiar, take on Christianity. It does not seem too sure whether it should worship the almighty dollar, or God, or if these two are one and the same thing. It seems to want to reconcile Mammon and God by assuming that God is bestowing His blessing on the nation by making it the richest in the world. And that to be rich is synonymous with being good.

Ultimately, it will be that each American, and America itself, will have to choose between wealth and virtue. I hope they make the right choice.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Wealth and virtue (despite the bible saying otherwise) are not mutually exclusive.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #190

Post by 2ndRateMind »

KenRU wrote:
Wealth and virtue (despite the bible saying otherwise) are not mutually exclusive.

-all the best
I didn't say they were. But, given the sad plight of the world's poor, I'm inclined to the view that they are currently incompatible.

Best wishes, 2RM.