Moderator: Moderators

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Secular Religions

Post #1

Post by Ooberman »

First, I want to clear up one thing:

Theism is to atheism like Christianity is to Humanism.

Theism nor atheism are religions. They are single positions on a single question that Theists claim is true. Atheists claim the argument for Theism is either unconvincing (weak atheism, or agnostic atheism), or strongly unconvincing (strong atheism).

There are two subsets, in which agnostics are part of a overlapping group of both circles, and hold a section that is neither atheist or theist, but entirely agnostic; or unknowing. A feral child, perhaps. A baby.

If theism is true, then there is still a lot of work to work out what we should do about it. Should we worship the gods of our Fathers? Why? Tradition, and religionists who argue for the truth of ancient religions, they would claim there is a God; a Standard for moral behavior, and it is a moral being, as well.

It is both author and paradigm of moral values.

Written in their texts, and, for some, the hearts of men, are guidelines for a Good Life. The best, maximal life you could imagine for yourself, and the sacrifices to make in order to get it. And what kind of behavior is permitted; what is forbidden.

The strength of the Religionists position for moral values is that she only need allude to the Divine Power of the Book she is about to quote, but then, can select a verse that supports her view about the topic. All religions have ample wiggle room - because they claim to live on the border of the visible and invisible.

To the atheist or skeptic, or rational inquirer, this is not an argument for validity.

And, so, the Bright (let's use a Bright as an example, regardless of the connotations. I think it's fine, but I don't think I'd call myself a Bright, even if I met the qualifications. The point is that Brights are a denomination within Atheism).

From the Bright's perspective, she believes there is no God, and so, if this is true - or if it isn't - what is the Bright to do?

This is where I think all of humanity is: at a point in which they can decide which moral values they would like if they could have everything they want, but innately understand, if this was equal for everyone, there might be some very troubling Desires.

Religion, either theistic, deistic or secular, must have a plan that holds true.

Many theistic religions simply declare "God is God, the Book says so." Presuppositionalists, Muslims, many other theists cite this argument. This is not a rational position, since it is clearly an aesthetic choice. (The "This religion looks right to me, so I choose it as the Truth" syndrome.)

So, religion is important for the transmissions of myths, certainly. This is important. We are a species that obviously enjoys mythology and responds to it. And, religion helps form a basis for moral values.

However, we know Philosophers debate about moral values, and we also know there are fundamental differences between which view we are to take. Are morals "real"? What are they at all?

These are questions among theist and atheist alike. Trying to discover what God Desires, is a complex job. Trying to find out what "Purpose" there is to our life and how we relate to the world is a big deal.

The atheist can use the same terms the religious use, and visa versa. Atheists can talk of "sin", but it means something different to the theist.

The point:

Which Secular Religion is best? Just as we should compare Christianity to other religions, we should also consider the benefits of other religions, too.

Which Secular Religion has the best moral precepts/doctrine?

To start I'll offer the Humanist Manifesto:

Humanist Manifesto III, a successor to the Humanist Manifesto of 1933*

Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

The lifestance of Humanism—guided by reason, inspired by compassion, and informed by experience—encourages us to live life well and fully. It evolved through the ages and continues to develop through the efforts of thoughtful people who recognize that values and ideals, however carefully wrought, are subject to change as our knowledge and understandings advance.

This document is part of an ongoing effort to manifest in clear and positive terms the conceptual boundaries of Humanism, not what we must believe but a consensus of what we do believe. It is in this sense that we affirm the following:

Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and rational analysis. Humanists find that science is the best method for determining this knowledge as well as for solving problems and developing beneficial technologies. We also recognize the value of new departures in thought, the arts, and inner experience—each subject to analysis by critical intelligence.

Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of unguided evolutionary change. Humanists recognize nature as self-existing. We accept our life as all and enough, distinguishing things as they are from things as we might wish or imagine them to be. We welcome the challenges of the future, and are drawn to and undaunted by the yet to be known.

Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience. Humanists ground values in human welfare shaped by human circumstances, interests, and concerns and extended to the global ecosystem and beyond. We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.

Life's fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships. Humanists long for and strive toward a world of mutual care and concern, free of cruelty and its consequences, where differences are resolved cooperatively without resorting to violence. The joining of individuality with interdependence enriches our lives, encourages us to enrich the lives of others, and inspires hope of attaining peace, justice, and opportunity for all.

Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness. Progressive cultures have worked to free humanity from the brutalities of mere survival and to reduce suffering, improve society, and develop global community. We seek to minimize the inequities of circumstance and ability, and we support a just distribution of nature's resources and the fruits of human effort so that as many as possible can enjoy a good life.

Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to diversity, and respect those of differing yet humane views. We work to uphold the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process and a planetary duty to protect nature's integrity, diversity, and beauty in a secure, sustainable manner.

Thus engaged in the flow of life, we aspire to this vision with the informed conviction that humanity has the ability to progress toward its highest ideals. The responsibility for our lives and the kind of world in which we live is ours and ours alone.

For historical purposes, see preceding Humanist Manifestos: I and II.

Click here for a version in Spanish (pdf).
Click here for a version in Portuguese (pdf).

Humanist Manifesto is a trademark of the American Humanist Association-© 2003 American Humanist Association

For comparison, Jainism:
The twelve vows are described as follows:

Five Main Vows of Limited Nature (Anuvratas):

Non-violence Anuvrat - Ahimsa Anuvrat (Sthula Pranatipat Viraman)
Truthfulness Anuvrat - Satya Anuvrat (Sthula Mrisavada Viraman)
Non-stealing Anuvrat - Achaurya Anuvrat (Sthula Adattadana Viraman)
Chastity Anuvrat - Bhramacharya Anuvrat (Sthula Maithuna Viraman)
Non-attachment Anuvrat- Aparigraha Anuvrat (Sthula Parigraha Viraman)
Three Merit Vows (Guna-vrats):

Dik Vrata - Limited area of activity vow
Bhoga-Upbhoga Vrata - Limited use of consumable and non-consumable items vow
Anartha-danda Vrata - Avoidance of purposeless sins vow
Four Disciplinary Vows (Siksha-vratas):

Samayik Vrata - Meditation vow of limited duration
Desavakasika Vrata - Activity vow of limiting space
Pausadha Vrata - Ascetic's life Vow of limited duration
Atithi Samvibhaga Vrata - Limited charity vow

Obviously, knowledge of the terminology is important, but I bet it's basically the same thing: Golden Rule + other good ideas.

Here is a religious test:
http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/ ... Matic.aspx

My test showed I most agree with Secular Humanism.

I don't know if I am, but I like what they have to say.

So, if there is no God and we knew it, which Secular Religion would you join?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

bluethread
Savant

Post #11

Post by bluethread »

jerrygg38 wrote:
My own belief in God is of a creative ethical power that is far above the pettiness of the religious Gods. Religion is about big business and power over the masses.
So, your belief in your god requires nothing of you? What good is a creative ethical power if it does not provide a creative ethical code of conduct?