Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

Where is Malaysia Flight 370?

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

CNN has been wearing this out.

What do you think happened? I want to hear all ideas.

I think it is in the ocean. It never broke apart, and therefore did not leave any debris. If it landed somewhere, people would have used some sort of media. Occam's razor works best for me.

Let's hear those crazy "theories."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I've been listening to NPR radio. And thus far here is what they have reported:

They claim that the communications with the flight was deliberately switched off in the plane, suggesting that the plane was potentially being hi-jacked. Although they have no leads on who might have been responsible for this or why they might have done it.

They also claim that there is information from a satellite that has kept in communication with a transponder on the plane that had not been shut off that suggests that the plane remained in flight for up to 5 hours from the time it disappeared from radar.

So I guess one potential theory is that the plane was hi-jacked. Then instantly flown to a very low level where it simply disappeared from radar. Then redirected in a new unknown direction. Flown for up to 5 or 6 hours, and possibly even landed somewhere.

They didn't actually suggest this last detail that the plane might have actually landed somewhere. But if it flew for 5 or 6 hours is surely could have reached land in that amount of time.

This leaves the people who had loved ones on the plane in an extreme state of limbo since they really have no clue whether the plan crashed, or was indeed hi-jacked and possibly landed safely somewhere.

Who would have hi-jacked this plane, and for what reason, is unknown. At least to the public.

How they could have flown it for 5 hours without anyone having reported it is another mystery.

I have no clue what happened, I'm just reporting what I heard on NPR radio. They offered this information without any assurance that any of it is confirmed.

They plane may have crash at sea as you have suggested. And just sank in one piece. But it's hard to imagine that nothing at all would have been left. Even if the plane sank in once piece you'd think that it would have imploded from the water pressure and everything that would have floated would have gushed to the surface with the air bubbles.

I have no clue. It's an interesting mystery. I hope they find that it was indeed hi-jacked and it landed safely somewhere, and everyone is still alive. But that sounds too good to be true.

Only time will tell. Surely the truth will come out eventually.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Re: Where is Malaysia Flight 370?

Post #3

Post by Hatuey »

[Replying to post 1 by Nickman]

Afghanistan. A friend of mine believes this idea with convincing conviction, and it's possible and interesting.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Furrowed Brow »

I think the plane was either hijacked or one of the pilots went rogue, they turned of the transponder, flew into someone's airspace, failed to respond to hails and were shot down. The country that did the shooting has decided to keep very quiet, and if they know where there is any retrievable wreckage they're covering up.

Apparently - I saw on one interview - Rolls Royce monitor via satellite all 8,000 engines they have in the air at any one time and they do this real time. My suspicion is that quite a few folk have god idea where the plane is or went down, but are keeping quiet for diplomatic reasons.

If the flight was not shot down then either the hijackers/pilots miscalculated and ran out of fuel and eventually some wreckage is going to be located, or the jet is parked up on some remote airfield somewhere, that or aliens....or maybe a worm hole.....or there never was a flight 370 and this is some kind of psy ops.....or Lost.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Nickman »

Hatuey wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Nickman]

Afghanistan. A friend of mine believes this idea with convincing conviction, and it's possible and interesting.
Can you provide the details of this idea?

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Hatuey »

Nickman wrote:Can you provide the details of this idea?
It is within range and a possible flight path. I think he believes it is a terrorist plot. Don't know much more, but I'll ask him? I'm interested, too.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Nickman »

Hatuey wrote:
Nickman wrote:Can you provide the details of this idea?
It is within range and a possible flight path. I think he believes it is a terrorist plot. Don't know much more, but I'll ask him? I'm interested, too.
I am intrigued too. Please do report later with any information. I am still stuck on the idea that it went in the ocean. The news media has reported that the black box and sequential transponders were about 30 days from losing battery power, but I can't imagine a battery powered device that is not connected to a power source (charger) in the plane. That just makes no sense with our current technology.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

According to one commercial airline pilot, it could be an electrical fire, with no terrorism involved at all.
The Boeing 777 is one of the safest airplanes in the world. “But there could have been an electrical fire,� suggests Chris Goodfellow, a former commercial and corporate jet pilot whose analysis, first posted on Google+, strike some aviation experts as plausible. “Dense smoke would not have taken long to overcome the pilots� even if they were wearing protective equipment, he said in a telephone interview.

Even without anyone at the controls, the plane would have continued to fly on its own until it ran out of fuel whether or not it was on auto-pilot, according to aviation experts. “That plane would have been able to run pretty much on its own,� says Ron Bishop, a former US Air Force flight engineer.

“If the engines are set to a setting they will keep going, and as long as wings get air across them they will keep aloft…steady, straight and level� with minor changes in altitude, he adds.

Mr. Goodfellow argues that the pilots changed direction in search of an airport because of an onboard crisis. That theory “is very plausible,� says Prof. Jason Middleton, head of the school of aviation at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. “It makes sense.�

He cautions, though, that there is no proof. “All the theories have some problem with them and they are all improbable,� Prof. Middleton says.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Peter
Guru

Post #9

Post by Peter »

Electrical Fire in the electronics bay under the cockpit knocks out the systems people think were turned off deliberately. Pilots punch in turn around flight path in autopilot and attempt to fight fire but are quickly overcome by smoke. Fire smoulders filling cabin with smoke until additional electrical malfunction depressurizes cabin at altitude putting out fire and finishing off anyone still alive. Plane flies on via autopilot until fuel runs out.

I'd like to know how the autopilot responds when the fuel runs out. In the simulator they demonstrated that one engine going offline didn't even phase the autopilot. It compensated and continued to fly the plane straight and level albeit at a slower speed. What would happen when the last engine failed? The answer would tell us what kind of debris field to be looking for. Is it possible the plane glided down smoothly and kissed the ocean? If so, there may not be any debris to find on the surface.
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by connermt »

Nickman wrote: CNN has been wearing this out.

What do you think happened? I want to hear all ideas.

I think it is in the ocean. It never broke apart, and therefore did not leave any debris. If it landed somewhere, people would have used some sort of media. Occam's razor works best for me.

Let's hear those crazy "theories."
Originally I thought it may have been taken to another country and landed there for some reason. As the days passed, it seems the simplist answer is the best: bottom of the ocean.
One thing's for sure: the media needs to back off of the coverage! Good grief... :confused2: