Can we have something milder than an Ignore?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

wiploc
Guru

Can we have something milder than an Ignore?

Post #1

Post by wiploc »

The Ignore function can be useful, but I don't want to ignore too many people.

I don't remember people that well. I can get into a fruitless argument with someone rude, and then tangle with him again six months later because I forget who he is.

What I'd like (what we have at freeratio.org) is the ability to flag people. Imagine that I flag Able---I hope there's nobody here by that name---with a warning like, "Pisses me off so I want to insult him." Nobody but me should see the flag, so I can write anything I want.

Baker is worse. If I flag him, "I've already insulted him once," I will be exceedingly unlikely to engage him again.

Our flags should show up in color, at the top of any post by someone we've flagged.

If I flag Charlie with, "Encourages pedophilia," or, "recommends assassinating political figures," then, any time I notice one of Charlie's posts, I will inspect it for this offence, with an eye towards reporting the post if I find another instance. (This could keep DCaR from becoming a defendant.)

If I ever become a moderator, I might flag Delta this way: "Has a hard-on for Easy. Most likely to go off when discussing free will. On probation."

It's an hugely useful thing, if we can get it.