Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

corky
Student

Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Post #1

Post by corky »

Romans 13 say's we are supposed to obey our government. Since abortion is not illegal, why do Christians have a problem with it?

mitty
Sage

Re: Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Post #51

Post by mitty »

bluethread wrote:
mitty wrote:
bluethread wrote:
mitty wrote: So what is the difference in the physiological/biochemical process in adulteresses and non-adulteresses after they drink medications of "bitter water" and say "so be it, so be it"?
Why do the bellies of pregnant adulteresses swell and their thighs "rot" after drinking the medication of "bitter water" whereas the bellies of pregnant non-adulteresses don't swell and their thighs don't "rot" after drinking the medication of "bitter water"?
Are you actually requiring a definitive scientific explanation of a rare practice that has not occurred for over 1900 years? I thought the criticism of hyper-literal readings of the KJV were extreme. I guess I didn't know how far people would go to justify the taking of a life.
It depends whether or not the bible has any relevance today or is just an old book written by men, for men, about a small society, and their history and laws and culture and myths, including the gods they created in their images & likenesses. As for taking life, the biblical writers didn't condemn the crimes against humanity committed by Joshua etal, including the butchering of children and the unborn (Josh 6:21 8:26 10:37 Numbers 21:35).
So, are you saying that Churchill, FDR and Truman should have been tried for murder because of Dresden & Hiroshima?
Why not. They were crimes against humanity since they targeted civilians and not just military targets, and war crimes aren't just committed by the other side. And even given that my father was a POW on the Burma-Siam railway and worse in a coal mine near Nagasaki, and that there were plans to execute all POWs. Indeed, after capitulation he was recuperated on a hospital ship in Nagasaki Harbour.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Abortion is not illegal. God oversees gov't.

Post #52

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Yahu wrote:
corky wrote: Romans 13 say's we are supposed to obey our government. Since abortion is not illegal, why do Christians have a problem with it?
Raping or beating to death a slave was not illegal in Roman times. Should a Christan have a problem with that? Local laws in conflict with Yah's laws are not to be obeyed.

This is clearly presented in the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego when they were required by law to bow down to the statue of Nebuchadnezzar. They refused, suffered the consequences by were protected by Yah.
Thank you Yahu,

I think this is a good point, that is to say, the premise of the question is wrong based on a faulty understanding of Romans 13.

All Christian submission to human governments is subjective. Jesus said to "give cesars things to cesar and God's things to God" ie. If Cesar demands something that belongs to God, the Christian will refraiin. On the same line of reasoning, if the Goverment were to authorize something (such as abortion) that God condemns, Chriristians, while doing nothing subversive or violent and making no attempt to overthrow or change the law through political endeavor, would feel no moral obligation to support such a thing.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Further reading
http://wol.jw.org/fr/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200004262
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8