Does religion lead to sexual oppression?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Does religion lead to sexual oppression?

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

Homosexuality, premarital sex, divorce, contraception, etc. These acts, and others, are preached against in certain faiths. Is it just human nature to have a set against things like this, or is most of it caused by religion?

Haven
Guru

Re: Does religion lead to sexual oppression?

Post #11

Post by Haven »

[color=deeppink]Princess Luna On The Moon[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Haven]

I know the feeling. I lived in Utah for a time, which had a very similar feeling, except with Mormons.

That reminds me, though. I was watching this documentary on the state of LGBT rights in Uganda. You might have seen it. I forgot the man's name, but it was so depressing. After the Ugandan politician knew of the host's homosexuality, he tried to prevent him from leaving the country, I think. It's been a while since I saw it last.
I think I know which documentary you're talking about (was it this one?). It was ridiculous how Ugandan activist David Kato was murdered and how that crazy politician tried to prevent the reporter from going home.

Because of some asinine interpretation of some ancient mythology, people must die and fear for their lives?! It sickens me to the core.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Goat »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Haven]

I know the feeling. I lived in Utah for a time, which had a very similar feeling, except with Mormons.

That reminds me, though. I was watching this documentary on the state of LGBT rights in Uganda. You might have seen it. I forgot the man's name, but it was so depressing. After the Ugandan politician knew of the host's homosexuality, he tried to prevent him from leaving the country, I think. It's been a while since I saw it last.
I live in NYS, in an area the local LBGQT center is very well funded. I did take in a refugee from SC who was a gay black lesbian with fundamentalist parents until she could get her own place.. so I met quite a few in that community. I did notice that the attitudes between the 'over 30 crowd' in the center and the attitude of the younger crowd was very different. There is more openness in the younger crowed, because they didn't go through a lot of the discrimination that happened earlier.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Apprentice

Post #13

[Replying to post 1 by Haven]

That's the one. It was so very disturbing. How can people be so stupid? It's baffling.

Apprentice

Post #14

[Replying to post 12 by Goat]

That's kind of how it is here. If you speak with younger people about that sort of thing, they're usually much more open minded compared to, say, an older adult. I have this friend whose family has lived in NC forever and rarely goes out of state. On the surface, they're ok people, but if you talk about religion or politics (which is inevitable)... We clash so many times, I'm surprised I haven't been burned at the stake.

Haven
Guru

Post #15

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Goat[/color] wrote: I live in NYS, in an area the local LBGQT center is very well funded.
Ours out here (well, about 50 miles away in the nearest large town) closed down last year. Some people are trying to get it started again, but right now it's defunct.
[color=darkorange]Goat[/color] wrote:I did notice that the attitudes between the 'over 30 crowd' in the center and the attitude of the younger crowd was very different. There is more openness in the younger crowed, because they didn't go through a lot of the discrimination that happened earlier.
I've noticed that, too. Older people in the community tend to be more separatist and "heterophobic" for lack of a better word (wanting to be separate from 'straight' society, keep separate spaces, etc.), while most younger LGBTQs are less skeptical of straights and want to integrate into the wider world. I think it has to do with experiences of discrimination. LGBTQ people who grew up in the 20th century had to face a lot more overt hate than we do today.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Goat »

Haven wrote:
[color=red]Goat[/color] wrote: I live in NYS, in an area the local LBGQT center is very well funded.
Ours out here (well, about 50 miles away in the nearest large town) closed down last year. Some people are trying to get it started again, but right now it's defunct.
[color=darkorange]Goat[/color] wrote:I did notice that the attitudes between the 'over 30 crowd' in the center and the attitude of the younger crowd was very different. There is more openness in the younger crowed, because they didn't go through a lot of the discrimination that happened earlier.
I've noticed that, too. Older people in the community tend to be more separatist and "heterophobic" for lack of a better word (wanting to be separate from 'straight' society, keep separate spaces, etc.), while most younger LGBTQs are less skeptical of straights and want to integrate into the wider world. I think it has to do with experiences of discrimination. LGBTQ people who grew up in the 20th century had to face a lot more overt hate than we do today.
That is the exact analysis my friend gave. She is early 30's, and is on the cusp of being on one side of that equation or the other. She fell into the 'more accepting' side. many of the contemporaries did not. On the other hand, I do have a bi relative that is much younger. Neither her, or her girlfriend have issues (Well, I think maybe her gf a tad, but not in comparison with older folks)
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Haven
Guru

Post #17

Post by Haven »

[color=blue]Goat[/color] wrote: That is the exact analysis my friend gave. She is early 30's, and is on the cusp of being on one side of that equation or the other. She fell into the 'more accepting' side. many of the contemporaries did not. On the other hand, I do have a bi relative that is much younger. Neither her, or her girlfriend have issues (Well, I think maybe her gf a tad, but not in comparison with older folks)

Thirty seems to be the cutoff age, at least in the Midwest. I grew up mostly in the 2000s (started high school in 2001, graduated college [undergrad] in 2009), which was a far more accepting time than even the 1980s or 90s. I do know plenty of older people who are much more militant, but hardly anyone near my age who isn't for integration.

Location seems to matter, too. I'm from Michigan (and have lived in Minneapolis and Atlanta), so I'm used to an area with a more vibrant LGBTQ+ community. Out here, almost everyone is either straight or deeply in the closet. Separatism isn't really the issue here -- visibility is.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Goat »

Haven wrote:
[color=blue]Goat[/color] wrote: That is the exact analysis my friend gave. She is early 30's, and is on the cusp of being on one side of that equation or the other. She fell into the 'more accepting' side. many of the contemporaries did not. On the other hand, I do have a bi relative that is much younger. Neither her, or her girlfriend have issues (Well, I think maybe her gf a tad, but not in comparison with older folks)

Thirty seems to be the cutoff age, at least in the Midwest. I grew up mostly in the 2000s (started high school in 2001, graduated college [undergrad] in 2009), which was a far more accepting time than even the 1980s or 90s. I do know plenty of older people who are much more militant, but hardly anyone near my age who isn't for integration.

Location seems to matter, too. I'm from Michigan (and have lived in Minneapolis and Atlanta), so I'm used to an area with a more vibrant LGBTQ+ community. Out here, almost everyone is either straight or deeply in the closet. Separatism isn't really the issue here -- visibility is.
Just like real estate.. location location location. I am sure most of the bible belt is like that too. My mother , even though she is near 90, is probably more flexible that the 95% of the people in Michigan or the bible belt. She is extraordinary for her generation actually.

Steven Novella

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by 99percentatheism »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: Homosexuality, premarital sex, divorce, contraception, etc. These acts, and others, are preached against in certain faiths. Is it just human nature to have a set against things like this, or is most of it caused by religion?
China's secular and communistic culture executes (aborts) unborn and born (throws away) girl babies.

But the preaching against homosexuality, abortion, premarital sex, divorce, contraception, lascivious licentiousness, perversion, depravity etc., etc., is still the human right of every person believing in those certain faiths, that hold to these sensible teachings.
Last edited by 99percentatheism on Thu May 22, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by 99percentatheism »

Haven
[color=deeppink]Princess Luna On The Moon[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Haven]

I think I know which documentary you're talking about (was it this one?). It was ridiculous how Ugandan activist David Kato was murdered and how that crazy politician tried to prevent the reporter from going home.

Because of some asinine interpretation of some ancient mythology, people must die and fear for their lives?! It sickens me to the core.

How many men have obtained HIV and that are going to or have died from AIDS acquired from other men because of some modern interpretation (modern mythology) of a supposed better feeling sexual encounter sans condom? Or have let medical advancements cloud their decisions? And I mean as of the 21st century?:

A study of Australian gay men examining unprotected sex and the beliefs that are associated with it has found that the concept of ‘treatments optimism’ needs to be unpacked. While some men do think that having HIV is less serious than it used to be, there is more of an association between unprotected sex and men believing that treatments have made HIV-positive people less infectious.
But writing in the journal Sexually Transmitted Diseases, the researchers warn that the relationships between information, beliefs and behavior are not straightforward, with individuals managing risk, desire and pleasure in complex ways.

Soon after the advent of combination therapy, commentators began to explain unprotected sex in gay and bisexual men in terms of ‘treatments optimism’ – the theory that reductions in illness and death had caused men to be less concerned about HIV infection, and so more willing to have unprotected sex. While a number of studies have confirmed an association between beliefs characteristic of treatments optimism and risk behaviour, it is unlikely that such beliefs – held by a minority of men – are sufficient to explain rising infection rates in gay men.

Moreover, there has always been controversy over whether treatment optimism leads to unprotected anal sex, or whether it is a way in which men rationalise their sexual behaviour, after the event.

- http://www.aidsmap.com/