Sin limit

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Sin limit

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

Is there a sin limit for saved Christians? Say a man (or woman) is saved and a devout Christian, but they have a wild shooting spree and kill a few people. Will they still go into heaven if they ask for forgiveness? Why or why not? Is there a limit, or is god's forgiveness boundless as long as the perpetrator prays afterwards?

This is tying in with the loophole where one can do whatever that want and still be forgiven, making Christianity nothing more than 'the god band-aid.' I'm not saying it is, I'm just curious to see if anyone here thinks there is such a limit.

Jolly_Penguin
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Jolly_Penguin »

One tin soldier rides away.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Ooberman »

1. I have been told you can kill all you want as long as you repent fully. Even Stalin could be in Heaven right now.

2. Calvinist believe everyone but they are doomed to Hell, so kill all you want, it doesn't matter.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

bluethread
Savant

Re: Sin limit

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: Is there a sin limit for saved Christians? Say a man (or woman) is saved and a devout Christian, but they have a wild shooting spree and kill a few people. Will they still go into heaven if they ask for forgiveness? Why or why not? Is there a limit, or is god's forgiveness boundless as long as the perpetrator prays afterwards?

This is tying in with the loophole where one can do whatever that want and still be forgiven, making Christianity nothing more than 'the god band-aid.' I'm not saying it is, I'm just curious to see if anyone here thinks there is such a limit.
I can not speak for Christianity, but from my understanding of the Scriptures, prayer does not get one into paradise. It is putting one's faith in the Promise and faith is an action. So, theoretically one could commit mass murder and then live in accordance with Adonai's ways, as one who trusts in Adonai would. However, that is kind of like a fighter jet heading full speed into the ground, coming to a complete stop, turning 180 degrees and proceeding in the opposite direction before it hits.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Ooberman »

bluethread wrote:
Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: Is there a sin limit for saved Christians? Say a man (or woman) is saved and a devout Christian, but they have a wild shooting spree and kill a few people. Will they still go into heaven if they ask for forgiveness? Why or why not? Is there a limit, or is god's forgiveness boundless as long as the perpetrator prays afterwards?

I can not speak for Christianity, but from my understanding of the Scriptures, prayer does not get one into paradise. It is putting one's faith in the Promise and faith is an action. So, theoretically one could commit mass murder and then live in accordance with Adonai's ways, as one who trusts in Adonai would. However, that is kind of like a fighter jet heading full speed into the ground, coming to a complete stop, turning 180 degrees and proceeding in the opposite direction before it hits.
That would me its impossible. I think, occassionally, people have had such changes of behavior. Rather, its been known to happen. Perhaps due to medical intervention (andrea yates), intervention (a brutal thug was asked to recreate his actions, for the camera, in which he was to portray hisvictims, brainwashing), medical condition( many people with schizo-typal traits exhibit drastic changes of personality, cancer can change a person), etc... Its rare, but its not miraculous.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote:

That would me its impossible. I think, occassionally, people have had such changes of behavior. Rather, its been known to happen. Perhaps due to medical intervention (andrea yates), intervention (a brutal thug was asked to recreate his actions, for the camera, in which he was to portray hisvictims, brainwashing), medical condition( many people with schizo-typal traits exhibit drastic changes of personality, cancer can change a person), etc... Its rare, but its not miraculous.

That depends on how one sees miracles, even though I did not use that term.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Ooberman »

bluethread wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote:

Doesnt matter, the point is that such changes are not impossible like a jet acting in the way you described.

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote:

Doesnt matter, the point is that such changes are not impossible like a jet acting in the way you described.
It is you who says it is impossible. I am leaving the door open, even though it may be a crack.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Ooberman »

bluethread wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote:

It is you who says it is impossible. I am leaving the door open, even though it may be a crack.
Its not for the jet, but is for the people. You analogy is flawed.

However, I think you meant for it to be ambiguous. I think religious people use such examples as evidence of Faith. The dichotomy between and impossible act in the Natural world, is paired with a rare act in the natural world and made to sound like the impossible can happen as 'exampled in the dichotomy".

The temptation if for the supernaturalist to say "Ah, but if something intervened, then, like the Jet, the impossible becomes possible. And, so, if I can show you a rare event, I can claim it was a miracle, and then, likewise, say I have hope in a jet miracle..."

I think it's superstitious thinking and has no part in rational discourse or skepticism.

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote:

Its not for the jet, but is for the people. You analogy is flawed.

However, I think you meant for it to be ambiguous. I think religious people use such examples as evidence of Faith. The dichotomy between and impossible act in the Natural world, is paired with a rare act in the natural world and made to sound like the impossible can happen as 'exampled in the dichotomy".

The temptation if for the supernaturalist to say "Ah, but if something intervened, then, like the Jet, the impossible becomes possible. And, so, if I can show you a rare event, I can claim it was a miracle, and then, likewise, say I have hope in a jet miracle..."

I think it's superstitious thinking and has no part in rational discourse or skepticism.
As I said, you are the one who used the word miracle. You are the one arguing for absolutes here. Since we are using what we think someone else means as justification for our points, if I were to have presented an analogy that had the slightest more possibility of occurring, I have little doubt that would have been used as proof that Stalin is indeed going to Paradise. I think it's unwarranted nit picking and has no part in rational discourse.