Apprentice

The war on Christmas

Post #1

Post by Aximili23 »

Many of you have probably heard of the so-called "War on Christmas":

Lines drawn in battle over Christmas
Secular Extremists Still Lying About Their War on Christmas
What 'War on Christmas'?

I have my own opinion on this matter, but as a non-American I'd first like to hear what you guys think. Is there really a war being deliberately waged against the acknowledgement of the christian holiday? Or is this a ploy of the conservative christian right? Has political correctness gone too far and diminished the joy of Christmas? Or is acceptance of other cultures and traditions more in keeping with the spirit of the holiday?

melikio
Guru

Ditto!

Post #21

Post by melikio »

Personally, I think this was Republican plant story to try and distract the nation from our current administration's real problems. This is a silly, ridiculous non-issue like flag burning that people have very strong opinions about and which can be inflamed at various times in order to get minds on something other than real news. Republican divisiveness at its best. Karl Rove, I salute you! No, not like that... like this!
I also believe you are correct. IF THIS aspect of reality can bring "Christianity" down, then it isn't the "faith" I have in Christ.

Respecting the sensitivities and/or sensibilities of non-believers, is NOT going to destroy the faith of the faithful. Just maybe it means (among other things) that those who "believe", have to buckle down and believe/live more earnestly what they SAY they believe.

I'm disgusted with this politicizing of "Christianity", THAT is a tremendous blow to the effectiveness of "Christians" (in the spiritual sense), and few Christians are aware of it. Some foolishly believe that the "superficial" honoring of God via political modes actually means something... it is SO VERY SAD indeed. :(

Find me ONE so-called "conservative-Christian" who hasn't sinned, and I'll raise you one, by showing that person unconditional-love (in Christ).

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

Aximili23
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by Aximili23 »

1John2_26 wrote:The season IS Christmas. Why the need to horn in on the action?
Haven't you been reading the other posts? You're missing the whole point; the season IS NOT ONLY Christmas. There are other winter holidays celebrated by other cultures and traditions. By asking why they need to "horn in on the action", you imply that they have no right to celebrate their own winter holidays at all! Are you so arrogant as to think that only christian holidays should be permitted?

Aximili23
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Aximili23 »

melikio wrote:I'm disgusted with this politicizing of "Christianity", THAT is a tremendous blow to the effectiveness of "Christians" (in the spiritual sense), and few Christians are aware of it. Some foolishly believe that the "superficial" honoring of God via political modes actually means something... it is SO VERY SAD indeed.
I totally agree. It's this whole politicization of Christianity, highlighted by the dirty and hateful tactics of the religious right (creationism, anti-gay marriage, etc) that has caused me to turn away from organized religion. Christians would get so many more converts if they did exactly the opposite of what their doing, and include and embrace other beliefs, cultures, and religions. Instead of condemning women who wish to have abortions, why not set up institutions that can help them? Instead of condemning gays and spreading falsehoods about them, why not try to understand the real difficulties they go through in a hostile "straight" world? Instead of condemning science, why not appreciate it as an attempt to better understand god's creation? And now there's a condemnation not merely of the people who don't celebrate Christmas, but of the stores that dare acknowledge them! It's ridiculous!

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #24

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

In the context of human relations as they are generally understood, I ask:

How should "Christians" deal with ANY opposition to their beliefs?

I feel this question deserves an answer, seeing as many Christians are so prone to forget.

2Ti 2:25
He must be gentle in correcting those who oppose the Good News. Maybe God will allow them to change the way they think and act and lead them to know the truth.

melikio
Guru

Amen.

Post #25

Post by melikio »

2Ti 2:25
He must be gentle in correcting those who oppose the Good News. Maybe God will allow them to change the way they think and act and lead them to know the truth.
AMEN! O:)

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

USIncognito
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by USIncognito »

1John2_26 wrote:...Atheists seem to have the most power of all...
What planet are you living on because I thought Bizarroworld was just a creation of the Superman comics.

1John2_26
Guru

Post #27

Post by 1John2_26 »

It is either jealousy or hatred that has the Christians so attacked by secularists and the likes of the guy that invented Kwaanza. Yes horning in on the action is what it is all about.

I also do not deserve this kind of personal insult:
What planet are you living on because I thought Bizarroworld was just a creation of the Superman comics.
It appears that Christian-bashing is the only legal discrimination.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Cephus »

1John2_26 wrote:It is either jealousy or hatred that has the Christians so attacked by secularists and the likes of the guy that invented Kwaanza. Yes horning in on the action is what it is all about.
Maybe it's not jealousy or hatred, but that a lot of Christians are becoming a complete pain in the backside. Try that one on for size.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #29

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

I also do not deserve this kind of personal insult
Indeed. USIncognito, evicting members to imaginary realms is generally frowned upon here.

Aximili23
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Aximili23 »

I rather loved this article. (The highlighted text was by me.)
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ebenezer Scrooge would enjoy Christmas in America this year.

Drowning out the sounds of sleigh bells ringing and children singing are the sounds of arguing. At issue is how to greet people, how to decorate main street and how to sell gifts -- all without offending someone.

Religious conservatives are threatening lawsuits and boycotts to insist that store clerks and advertisements say "Merry Christmas." Countering are those who argue they are being inclusive and inoffensive with the secular "Happy Holidays."

In the middle seem to be most Americans, who not only aren't offended but find the whole spat rather ridiculous.
http://tinyurl.com/8cjmw