How did you find out that Christianity was just bull manure?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

trencacloscas
Sage

How did you find out that Christianity was just bull manure?

Post #1

Post by trencacloscas »

This is a question topic applied only to atheists/agnostics in general and former Christians specially.

When and how did you reach the conclusion that Christianity doesn't bear anything sacred or true? I agree with that writer who said "abandoning God and religion was my most priced spiritual adventure". So, how was your personal path to deconversion? What made you suspect it was all fake? How did you cop out with it?

Just for the sake of exchanging vital experiences.. :|
Last edited by trencacloscas on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.
Dr. Gregory House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

(HOUSE MD. Season 1 Episode 5)

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #21

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Its always the come back someone will say when a Christian points out an error, they are immediately called arrogant or judgemental, when all we are doing is telling you honestly what the bible says.
"What the Bible says" is up for interpretation. If it's message was clear and unambiguous, there would not be the hundreds upon thousands of different denominations that we see today.

Eph 5:10
Determine which things please the Lord.

1Co 10:15
I'm talking to intelligent people. Judge for yourselves what I'm saying.

All we are asking is that you be tolerant of other perspectives.
You also misquote Pr 16:18 like so many people have who claim to know the bible. Pride comes before destruction, a haughty spirit comes before a fall.
Haughty spirit=pride.

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by Tim the Skeptic »

I think the first crack happened when I learned that the Gospels were not written during Jesus' life. Now as more books about the historical Jesus are published, the questions just built.

Then you throw all the questions about God on top of the questions about Jesus and the whole house of cards just collapsed. Also, the churches I did attend seemed much more concerned with tithing than with spiritual questioning. Church-going began to seem more and more like a big waste of time and money.

My questions still continue. Contemplative Christianity still holds an appeal for me. I've read some modern interpretations of "The Cloud of Unknowing" and it's fascinating. I love many of the Zen tales I've read on the web. I've read a little about the Sufis and almost nothing of the Kabbalists. They're on my to-do list.

QED
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by QED »

Sender wrote:You guys are TERRIBLE. You guys not only make a mockery of his creation, but now you are mocking his death and ressurection. You guys are gonna fry in hell son unless you change your way and ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior..
In the topic titled [url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]Questioning the Crucifixion [/url]QED wrote:Sure he was the son of god (or one third of the trinity if that makes a difference) but he was also supposed to be supernatural, with the ability to perform miracles such as returning to life (I'm thinking PlayStation character here). So in what way was his 'death' a set-back for god, in what way was it a loss to anyone?
I am not mocking in my question here. It is an sincere and innocent enquiry into something that I honestly do not understand. I would very much appreciate it if you would go to that topic and add your thoughts as to why it is so significant that Jesus died on the cross rather than simply joining in with the chorus of people simply saying that it is so.

Vianne
Student

Post #24

Post by Vianne »

Old thread, I know, but I couldn't resist. :D

I'm glad that I was a Christian for the time that I was, because I did learn how to cultivate my spirituality and several other valuable tools for growth. A difficult time in my life was made easier because I believed I had Jesus to rely on and guide me when things became rough.

There was a point, however, when my gut and my Bible told me two different things concerning the issue of dating a non-believer. I struggled for quite some time, not wanting to be unequally yoked and whatnot, but I knew the relationship could be a very positive thing: we had similar temperaments and shared a common interest in religion, though he was a dissatisfied Catholic and I was the evangelical Christian trying to convert him.

I went with my gut, and promptly found myself in a cloud of spiritual confusion. While I absolutely did not regret my choice to become "yoked" to this unbeliever, and was committed to staying with him, I knew my beliefs would have to change or I would be forever miserable. I didn't want to just up and go become Buddhist, though. If I was going to desert the faith, I had to do it properly: by finding something genuinely more convincing, or not leaving at all. God was still a very real, flesh-and-blood person in my mind, one that I couldn't just wave my hand and have disappear.

After several years of reading books and articles, I finally stumbled upon one that cracked the whole system for me.

In chapter seven of the book of Isaiah, King Ahaz of Judah is being attacked by the kings of Israel and Aram. God speaks to the resident prophet, Isaiah, to go and comfort the King with the knowledge that all would be well. Ahaz, of course, doesn’t believe him. After all, his city is surrounded! His troops are dying! His people are frantic! What do you mean, everything is going to be fine? Ha! Speaking on God’s behalf, Isaiah prods the distraught King to pick a sign, any sign, to reassure him that God truly means what he says. Ahaz is struck by a sudden sense of piety and refuses, claiming he will not test his god. This irritates Isaiah, who snaps at the King,

"Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of men? Will you try the patience of my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you [c] a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and [d] will call him Immanuel. [e] 15 He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. 16 But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste." Isaiah 14:13-16

When I read this, everything suddenly fit. While this passage is often quoted as a prophesy regarding the future Messiah, I realized that this passage has absolutely nothing to do with any Messiah whatsoever! The oft-quoted phrase regarding the apparently miraculous event of a virgin conceiving a child is no different than passages which claim that those who mourn will laugh, or those who hunger will eat: it simply means that a condition which is now present will be solved or reversed. The way to make a virgin conceive is quite obvious, and in no way implies that some sort of miracle must occur. By the time a virgin (or young woman -- another meaning of the original Hebrew word) who is not yet pregnant today has a son who is old enough to eat semi-solid foods and make basic decisions regarding right and wrong, the two kings who are terrorizing Judah will no longer be a problem for Ahaz.

And this made sense! After all, what kind of logic would it be for Isaiah to approach a terrified King Ahaz and tell him, fear not, these two kings will not destroy Judah, and here’s how you’ll know – seven hundred years from now, a virgin will get pregnant without ever touching a man! There, now doesn’t that make you feel better? Let’s go out and kick some Israelite toosh!

Anyway, that's my (long) story. It's been years since then, and I've never regretted my choice to leave Christianity.

Oh, and that "unbeliever" and I are still together. :D

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by The Happy Humanist »

Anyway, that's my (long) story. It's been years since then, and I've never regretted my choice to leave Christianity.

Oh, and that "unbeliever" and I are still together. :D
Just want to say, that's a great story, and a great ending! A unique perspective as well - I've not heard that path to nonbelief before.

By the way, it's "tush", not "toosh".

Shiksas. Oy.
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

Marishiten
Student

Post #26

Post by Marishiten »

Bull manure ... I like it.
How I found out? I don't know, I'm 20, so I won't go on about my extensive experiences and such (although I have quite a few for my age thank you)

Maybe I just had an epiphany. I was born into a Christian family. Then I studied science a lot and realised it made more sense than the Bible. Then i thought a lot about everything. I always think, so that's maybe it.

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #27

Post by OccamsRazor »

I must say that I have never believed. I often do not like to make such an admission in these sort of groups because I worry that it makes me sound like my philosophy is set in stone.

However there it is. My parents were both atheist as were my grandparents (oh dear that is starting to sound like indoctrination).

My parents were always careful never to tell me their beliefs when I was yound and always tried to teach me about different belief systems. The problem is that I never remember a time that the existence of God made any sense to me.

Later, at University, I studied Physics then the Philosophy of Science. This was, for me, the final nail in the theological coffin.
One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by Sleepy »

Can I pray for you all?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by McCulloch »

Sleepy wrote:Can I pray for you all?
Be careful what you ask for.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Sleepy »

Leading question I know but it does raise these question. If you say no, is that because you believe it will work or because you believe it will not.

If you believe it will not work, and say no, why say no? There is no harm as my intentions are not bad nor will they harm you in any way according to your belief. Your no is then out of a closed mind not a one open to challenge.

If you believe it will work and say no, then you do not believe there is nothing to it.

If you believe it will not work and say yes, you have opened the door to God proving himself (relies on my faith in prayer)

If you believe it will work and say yes, you believe there is something to it.