Why is it wrong for a human to want to be God?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

lostguest
Student

Why is it wrong for a human to want to be God?

Post #1

Post by lostguest »

Good parents always want their children to eventually do better than they did and surpass them in every possible way. God is the only supposedly "good father" who specifically wants his "children" to remain in an eternal state of subordination and inferiority to himself. Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?
Instead of creating humans in his image, why didn't he just create clones of himself? Is God intimidated by the existence of other beings like himself?

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Can you point to an example in history of a person that wanted to be god that worked out well for anyone involved?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Why is it wrong for a human to want to be God?

Post #3

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by lostguest]
Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?
Good is a rather subjective term so I'm not sure I would use that one characteristic to determine 'goodness' or lack of. Though, on teh surface, it would seem the parent's being a 'hole' for not wanting better for their children.
Instead of creating humans in his image, why didn't he just create clones of himself? Is God intimidated by the existence of other beings like himself?
God seems to want something to praise it for what it considers
reasons', all the while using guilt and fear to reach those means.
I take issue with this god on a couple different levels, as it pertains to this discussion:
1) why would such a supreme being need or want to be praises? Why can't it be content knowing (since it's supposed to be all knwoing) that it's the supreme-o supreme of everything?
2) comparing god to parents. Though that's one of the best possible comparisons, god and parents can't be ligitimately compared and expected to net the same end result. God is perfect, parents aren't.

I'm not sure one can rightly attribute human characteristics/emotions to a supreme being but surely, it seems, the christian god is a tyrant, bully, ego-centric selfish mess.

One thing's for sure (assuming god is real): god didn't want anyone/thing to be its equal. If there are legitimate reasons for that, it hasn't explained it to us en mass and thus, is loosing souls because of it.
Doesn't sound too 'supreme' at all to me, but I've been told I have higher standards. :confused2:

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 3 by connermt]

You realise in a thread on why can't Man be god you wrote
Doesn't sound too 'supreme' at all to me, but I've been told I have higher standards.
The concern I tried to point out is that elevated views of ourselves have not worked out well for others in history.

Is there anyone that doesn't believe in God but also thinks God, if it existed, is morally better than they are?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

lostguest
Student

Post #5

Post by lostguest »

[Replying to post 2 by Wootah]
Can you point to an example in history of a person that wanted to be god that worked out well for anyone involved?
This may be because humans wanting to be Gods are still humans. But if there really was the possibility of becoming Gods that would mean that all their actions would automatically become "good" and "right" just like the actions of the God of the Old Testament.
If God had created clones of himself instead of humans, we would all be perfect while still having free will.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 4 by Wootah]
u realise in a thread on why can't Man be god you wrote
Fully aware, thank you very much
The concern I tried to point out is that elevated views of ourselves have not worked out well for others in history.
I'm aware of your point. That doesn't change the fact that I have higher standards of a deity than the one many today seem to have.
You and others may be content with such a god, which is fine.
I suppose I would expect more from a god.
Is there anyone that doesn't believe in God but also thinks God, if it existed, is morally better than they are?
Perhaps you should start a thread on the subject? :confused2:

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: Is there anyone that doesn't believe in God but also thinks God, if it existed, is morally better than they are?
I absolutely count on this being true. In fact, this is why I reject the Bible because the God portrayed in the Bible is nowhere near as moral as I am. I find it extremely ironic that historically Christianity preaches that people should fear "The wrath of God".

Why should I fear a God who has higher moral values than myself? :-k

No God who has higher moral values than mine could ever be a threat to me. If he was a threat to me that would automatically guarantee that he has lesser moral values than me. For I am a threat to no one.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

If I read the OP right , it did not say "Why is it wrong to be a particular god". It said, "Why is it wrong for a human to want to be god?" It might be good if we addressed that question. I'm just spit balling here, but maybe some people think that by criticizing a particular god, they are elevating themselves to the status of a god. I would like to ask anyone who believes that it is not wrong to want to be a deity how that could take place.

Also, as far as the Scriptures are concerned, the concept of "Children of God" is the only truly new thing that I have found in the Apostolic Writings and does not appear to refer to becoming deities, but it appears to refer to those who live according to Adonai's direction. So, that is not that new of a concept either, just a new way of saying it.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: Also, as far as the Scriptures are concerned, the concept of "Children of God" is the only truly new thing that I have found in the Apostolic Writings and does not appear to refer to becoming deities, but it appears to refer to those who live according to Adonai's direction. So, that is not that new of a concept either, just a new way of saying it.
That was already covered in the OP.

If we are "Children of God" then we should absolutely expect to grow up to become Gods ourselves. In fact, in the New Testament Jesus points to the Old Testament where is says, "Have I not said, ye are gods".

The irony of religions like Christianity and Islam is that they seem to prefer to think of humans are God's pets, rather than as God's children. They imagine that humans will forever be God's pets. Even after they die and go to some eternal heaven, they will forever be beneath God and be God's pets, not his children.

Children grow up to become like their parents as adults. Pets do not. Pets may grow old, but they never become like their owners.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ttruscott »

lostguest wrote: Good parents always want their children to eventually do better than they did and surpass them in every possible way. God is the only supposedly "good father" who specifically wants his "children" to remain in an eternal state of subordination and inferiority to himself. Would you consider a human parent a good parent if he had such expectations from his children?
Does it matter if a dog wants to be human? Not a bit and good luck to him but it is impossible. What is against the law is to abrogate the powers, on earth, of GOD, life and death and declarations of perfect judgment, etc. which only gets us into evil.

So we should emulate and seek GOD in all things:...All orthodox denunciations of Eve surround her wanting to be like God, yet WE ARE TO BECOME LIKE JESUS and emulate the Christ to fulfill HIS plan for us as I John 1, Colossians 3:8-17, and 1 Peter 1:15-16, "But as he which hath called you is holy so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, 'be ye holy; for I am holy'." suggests,

and no one has ever offered where this is wrong. She chose what was right but tried to get it by disobedience, proving she was fallen already.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.