Selling the bible

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Selling the bible

Post #1

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

I don't think it appropriate that ANYONE should be forced to buy a bible if they want one. If you want one bad enough you can get one for free. But why do so many companies and outlets SELL the bible?
By these companies and outlets selling bibles, that seems to show they believe in it. But shouldn't they just give them away? If it's so real and great, shouldn't it be given out to anyone who wants it for free? No matter how awesome the cover is or how many cool tricks the electric versions have, why the need to profit off of one's need to learn about God.
To me, that seems quite disingenuous.
What do you think: should any form of the bible be sold, or should they all be given away?

bishblaize

Re: Selling the bible

Post #2

Post by bishblaize »

[Replying to post 1 by Wordleymaster1]

I seem to recall that its the most widespread book of all time. The Gideons claim there are 6 billion copies distributed (that seems unlikely, but that's what they claim).

http://www.statisticbrain.com/bibles-printed/

So obviously the cost has to be met somehow. I mean, if it costs £1 to print each copy that comes up to... err..a lot?

On the other hand plenty of people do leech money from Christians. I guess if they're a Christian themselves it could be considered sinful?

Personally I don't see it as any worse than targeting mothers by making them feel guilty about their child's health, or targeting kids by putting adverts for toys in the middle of cartoons. Its all pretty cynical.

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

bishblaize wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wordleymaster1]

I seem to recall that its the most widespread book of all time. The Gideons claim there are 6 billion copies distributed (that seems unlikely, but that's what they claim).

http://www.statisticbrain.com/bibles-printed/

So obviously the cost has to be met somehow. I mean, if it costs £1 to print each copy that comes up to... err..a lot?

On the other hand plenty of people do leech money from Christians. I guess if they're a Christian themselves it could be considered sinful?

Personally I don't see it as any worse than targeting mothers by making them feel guilty about their child's health, or targeting kids by putting adverts for toys in the middle of cartoons. Its all pretty cynical.
Can't God cover the costs? If it's as important as many claim, it would be needed by everyone even those who can't afford one.
Targeting someone for anything other than their eternal soul seems very anti-god to me.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #4

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 3 by Wordleymaster1]

Outreach bibles are given away for free Gideon specifically manufactures bibles to give away for free. There is nothing wrong with making a fancy product and selling it to those of whom would buy it. If its not for outreach whats the issue

Jashwell
Guru

Post #5

Post by Jashwell »

I don't have a problem with people selling the Bible any more than people selling second hand books.

I think it might, however, be dishonest and disrespectful to forget to mention the sheer quantity and availability of free bibles (including multiple online websites with multiple translations each).

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Wordleymaster1]

Outreach bibles are given away for free Gideon specifically manufactures bibles to give away for free. There is nothing wrong with making a fancy product and selling it to those of whom would buy it. If its not for outreach whats the issue
As said, bibles are given for free. But when it comes to selling bibles, no matter how fancy, I think it's wrong. Sell the 'fanciness' alone and give the bible for free. It seems they're profiting from religion which to me is unbecoming to say the least. Not that it effect me personally - I can't say I ever BOUGHT a bible. It just seems less than sincere to SELL and bible of any fashion at any cost.
But then again, I don't think preachers should be paid by people, nor should people pay to build churches or give $ to any God-charity. If God wants them to be fed, churches built, preachers paid He would provide for that.
Why God expects people to do His work is funny in a sad way
But that's just me

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 6 by Wordleymaster1]
If God wants them to be fed, churches built, preachers paid He would provide for that.
So you're OK with God providing for His followers. But you're not OK with Him providing for His followers through normal economics?

I guess we should all just get manna from heaven?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Wordleymaster1]
If God wants them to be fed, churches built, preachers paid He would provide for that.
So you're OK with God providing for His followers. But you're not OK with Him providing for His followers through normal economics?

I guess we should all just get manna from heaven?
Absolutely! Your God should provide for HIS children - He shouldn't ask others to do His work.
Unless He's a lazy bum
Or not real
EDIT:
I wonder, why do you not expect grand things from your God? I mean, He's not a politician and really needs NOTHING from us mere mortals. And He did more than providing free bibles to people in the bible, so why not now?
Are we to discount Him from the awesomness of the bible to just a elevated dude?
I mean come on - why not expect Him to be and give and do grand things like in the bible days today? Are we not good enough? Or is He not good enough?
Or, like I suspect, we are to assume He is what you guys claim Him to be and be comfortable with missing on His grandness?!?
People attribute so many grand things to Him - like protecting their family from the house fire, or curing disease or getting a better job, but when it comes to simple things like free bibles or building churches, we're left to our own whims then we can attribute the things WE do to God?
Super convenient for God

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #9

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 6 by Wordleymaster1]

To some it is not the message that they are spending money on but the "art" itself. Most people don't read the bible but have it for display purposes. If it was all about the message then no one would purchase a bible. There is no reason to especially nowadays. So something else is driving that purchase. Are they profiting off of religion possibly but that's a real tough sell when you are competing with an absolutely free product. It's like saying hey don't take that free box of sticks over there because we have the exact same sticks over here in a fancy box. People are not buying the sticks they are buying the fancy box.

It would only be profiting off of religion if they were forced/coerced to buy the bible either by their religious leader or the religious peer pressure. Which I am sure happens and the immoral thing is not the selling of the book or manufacturing of it it is the act of coercion itself.

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Wordleymaster1]

To some it is not the message that they are spending money on but the "art" itself. Most people don't read the bible but have it for display purposes. If it was all about the message then no one would purchase a bible. There is no reason to especially nowadays. So something else is driving that purchase. Are they profiting off of religion possibly but that's a real tough sell when you are competing with an absolutely free product. It's like saying hey don't take that free box of sticks over there because we have the exact same sticks over here in a fancy box. People are not buying the sticks they are buying the fancy box.

It would only be profiting off of religion if they were forced/coerced to buy the bible either by their religious leader or the religious peer pressure. Which I am sure happens and the immoral thing is not the selling of the book or manufacturing of it it is the act of coercion itself.
I get 'the art' thing, which is why I said they should sell the art (or whatever) and give the bible for free.
Your point about the sticks is interesting.
To me, if it's not 'free' it's selling your religion in terms of the bible. I mean, it's supposed to be SO important that some say you can't really get eternal life without it, so they sell it? :? Religious profiting for sure. If it's SO important give it away - eat the costs of making the bible - God should be able to take care of the $ missed or lost due to the manufacturing of it.
But then again, God doesn't give his preachers their salary build His own churches or feed his own people - relying on us to do it. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised Hmmmm..... :-k Maybe I should rethink the whole thing