Christians' feelings hurt

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Christians' feelings hurt

Post #1

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.
Do you see this to be true?
Can you give examples either way?
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that tyically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?

Wootah
Savant

Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 7 by Zzyzx]
A realist need not "numb feelings" to accept that death is a feature of all life forms.
I can agree with this because I am a realist.
A supernaturalist may choose to alleviate their fear of death by denying that organisims (including themselves personally) will eventually die naturally -- and that religious beliefs will entitle a "soul" (not demonstrated to exist) will transcend death into an "afterlife(* (not demonstrated to exist).
Finally you use a term that indicates religion is natural. Show me any Christian within the supernaturalist subset that denies death occurs.
Perhaps this is comforting for those who wish to deny that they and loved ones will eventually die.
Agreed it is comforting. There is no comfort for evolutionists because everything dies.
Some may think of death as "the enemy", others regard it as simply the termination of life functions.
Yes it's a mindset.
Religionists are certainly free to "hope" that they will not die (or that their "soul" will transcend death. Hope often needs no basis in reality to be comforing to the hopeful.
Yes but that's the issue in this thread - why might one be more or less sensitive - not whether our hopes are valid.

I realistically argued the situation we are in. The atheist/evolutionist view offers no hope and so it makes sense to be less sensitive. Death is all you can hope for. Life is all I can hope for. No wonder, the more I follow Christ, the more sensitive I become. Whilst my body decays as yours does, I'm becoming more spiritually alive.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]
Actually if you were confident in your belief you should be less sensitive. Why should you be more sensitive? Being more sensitive suggests that you are afraid someone might burst your bubble of hope precisely because it is fragile.
More sensitive to life not more sensitve to opinions.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #13

Post by Divine Insight »

I'd like to address the questions of the OP as to how they specifically applied to me back when I was a Christian.

To begin with I didn't actually "become" a Christian because I was raised by a Christian family and attended a Christian church from very early childhood. So Christianity wasn't something I 'discovered' because I felt that I was a lost soul or whatever.

From a very early childhood I was innately spiritual. I innately believe in a "God". Therefore as I was growing up I simply accepted that the Bible and Christianity was "God's Word". I confess also that I was extremely naive when I was young. I thought that Christianity was true and all other religions were as fake as flying witches on Halloween. That's how our family and church viewed other religions. They simply had no more merit than fairytales. I fell for this line of baloney. After all, my very own parents seemed to believe it, therefore it must be truth. Surely my parents wouldn't be fooled?

So I accepted the religion, not "On Faith in God", because after all God never told me the religion was true. My faith was clearly "Faith in my Parents". And in our church clergy and congregation etc. Surely all these good people can't be fooled?

So I accepted the religion and began to study the Bible.

Was I offended when people didn't believe in Christianity? Actually no, I wasn't. The Bible itself suggests that there will be people who don't believe and that we should not argue with them. Evangelism, (as I understood it) was for the purpose of reaching out to people who had a genuine interest in learning about Jesus and God.

So my goal was to learn as much about Jesus and God as I could so that I could help other people learn. That's when I started to study the bible intently. Not to question it, but to simply understand its truths so I could help other people see these truths. It was during that process that I came the vivid realization that the Bible cannot possibly be true and holds no truth at all.

But putting all of that aside for the moment, and getting back to having feelings hurt. What I discovered as I was trying to learn more about the bible is that it was often quite devout "Christians" who caused me to become upset. Not the non-believing atheists.

And I'm not even sure if it was "Hurt Feelings" as much as basically "Anger".

I tried my very best to interpret the Bible as positive and compassionate as I possibly could. I tried my very best to make an intelligent, loving, caring, forgiving, and compassionate Jesus. But ironically I found that my greatest adversaries in this question was not atheists, but other Christians. Not so much Christians from within our church, but certainly from there denominations, etc.

They seemed to be hell-bent on making Jesus into a monster of damnation. Not only toward non-believers, but they would even use Jesus as a caustic weapon of hatred toward other Christians (i.e. me). They did not seem to like the idea of a truly forgiving Jesus.

I mean, part of my belief as a Christian was that Jesus did not require the people believe in him or in Christianity. I've used the Gospels to show this to be the case in the actual accounts of Jesus. But there were many Christians who would become extremely irate, and even hostile toward a Jesus who would allow anyone to not believe in Christianity or that Jesus was "The Christ" etc.

It was that attitude that cause me more emotional anguish than anything. So my "feelings" were hurt not by non-believing atheists, but by very strongly believing hardcore Christian fundamentalists. And trust me, there's a LOT of them out there. We even had a few in our church. However, our church as a whole did not preach that view.

So in any case, I found Hardcore Christian fundamentalists to be the most obnoxious of all people. Atheists who didn't believe in Christianity didn't bother me in the least. I don't think they would have bothered Jesus either. Jesus didn't seem to have a problem with pagans. In the Gospels themselves Jesus acknowledges that strong "faith" of many pagans. They weren't believing in Jesus because they thought he was the only begotten son of Yahweh. They were simply believing in Jesus because to them he appeared to be a magi. They didn't care from whence his powers came. They just wanted him to do his magic healing and that's where they placed their "Faith".

So in any case. It was never the atheists who bothered me. When I was a Christian my greatest antagonists were other Christians. Ironically when I finally rejected Christianity as being impossible to defend or support, nothing has changed. :lol:

Christians are still my greatest antagonists. I never had a problem with atheists or pagans at any time.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:]Perhaps this is comforting for those who wish to deny that they and loved ones will eventually die.
Agreed it is comforting. There is no comfort for evolutionists because everything dies.
If comfort is what one seeks above all else, they might be well advised to adopt one of the religions that promises "hope" in an "afterlife." Perhaps those in need do not require that the "hope" be at all realistic or be anything more than imaginary.
Wootah wrote: The atheist/evolutionist view offers no hope and so it makes sense to be less sensitive.
This Non-Theist view does NOT require "hope" from a promised (but not proved) "god" or "afterlife" or any approval from a congregation.

Life, to me, is grand, fulfilling, satisfying, rewarding, interesting, exciting. I feel no need to "hope" for something better in an "afterlife" that cannot be shown to be anything more than imagination.
Wootah wrote: Death is all you can hope for.
How, exactly, do YOU know what I can "hope" for or if "hope" is significant to me? Are you a mind reader? Omniscient?

Correction: I LIVE a full and interesting life without any need to "hope" for more "after you die" – and regard that conjecture as irrational.
Wootah wrote: Life is all I can hope for. No wonder, the more I follow Christ, the more sensitive I become. Whilst my body decays as yours does, I'm becoming more spiritually alive.
May you continue to believe that you are becoming more "spiritually alive" and that I have no "hope" if that makes you feel better about yourself and your life. Sad though that position / belief may be it is not uncommon for religionists to feel superior by virtue of their worship practices and rituals.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #15

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]
Actually if you were confident in your belief you should be less sensitive. Why should you be more sensitive? Being more sensitive suggests that you are afraid someone might burst your bubble of hope precisely because it is fragile.
More sensitive to life not more sensitve to opinions.
But this thread is about "Christian's feelings being hurt".

If you're not more sensitive to that, then you're not addressing the subject of the thread.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily.
Or, they suffer various psychological conditii, such that triggers get invoked. Some folks, maybe it is, it ain't near as much their feelings getting hurt, but their memories getting jogged.
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!
I gotta fess up about this'n. This atheist can go from happy-go-lucky to furious in the blink of a sentence.
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.
I can't imagine a scenario where I become a Christian, that I'd rail even more'n I do from my own 'atheist triggers'.
If I tell it, that they do it, honor compels me to say I'm better at it than any of 'em ever was.
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that tyically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?
Some of us, maybe we're super-sensitive before we get us any other label.

Conclusions?

I could only ever comment about all this, while it was, it was a mirror my audience.

Sure, folks who think their god'll get upset, well, maybe it is, they get upset too.

Me, I got no god, other'n that breakfast making goddess over yonder.

"Emotionalism" ain't such an exclusive club, that some of us atheists ain't allowed to join. Heck, some of us is grandfathered in!

I note that my own "emotional outbursts" (where I read "triggers") got me banned from this site. Only it was, it was a Christian who saw some unseen - and perhaps unseeable - merit in my humanity. By his, or his god's grace, was it, that I was forgiven.

I don't ever wanna call the Christian "emotional, such that, well, they's too much of it." Though I respect the "emotional" impact of the god concept.

But I'll still swear up and down they've come to them some wrong conclusions.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by dianaiad »

Wordleymaster1 wrote: I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.

Interesting thread, this.

I read all the responses, and almost all of them either answer as if it were already settled that Christians get their feelings hurt more often than do non-Christians. Perhaps that's because, although you began your OP reasonably, you ended with the conclusion already come to; yes, they do, now who can explain why?

Well, that's begging the question.

A lot.

Would you care, before you explore the question of why "Christians get their feelings hurt more," you prove to us that, hey, they actually DO?

And that they react more strongly when it happens?

I'd like some honest to goodness data on that.

Because frankly, judging from my experience (which, admittedly, is personal, subjective and certainly anecdotal) it's quite the other way around.

So perhaps you could explain to me why non-theists, especially non-Christians, get so upset, and react so aggressively, at perceived insults?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 6:
Wootah wrote: I do think that if you accept death as part of life then you are choosing to numb your feelings and if you think death is the enemy then you will be sensitive to all the death there is.
How "numb" is the feelings of those who think some dude died, only he didn't?
Wootah wrote: I find myself with hope and so I am more sensitive than before for sure.
Being sensitive to death doesn't mean folks don't do it.

From Post 11:
Wootah wrote: I can agree with this because I am a realist.
If you're such a realist, why is it, that you think dead folks come out of caves and stroll through town?
Wootah wrote: Finally you use a term that indicates religion is natural. Show me any Christian within the supernaturalist subset that denies death occurs.
My 'pologies.

Here it was, I thought that since you declared you're a Christian, it was that you thought Jesus done rose from the dead.

Or am I wrong for having thought it?
Wootah wrote: Agreed it is comforting. There is no comfort for evolutionists because everything dies.
This "evolutionist" finds comfort in the it don't matter if the lady does do die, she'll still leave a corpse to fondle.

If "everything dies", how come it is, your Jesus didn't?
Wootah wrote: ...
I realistically argued the situation we are in. The atheist/evolutionist view offers no hope and so it makes sense to be less sensitive.
That you find "no hope" in the idea - that you express - that folks die, well that's on you.

I find much hope in knowing terrorists, idiots, and scoundrels have a limited time on this planet. But find myself saddened to know I'm in among 'em.
Wootah wrote: Death is all you can hope for. Life is all I can hope for. No wonder, the more I follow Christ, the more sensitive I become. Whilst my body decays as yours does, I'm becoming more spiritually alive.
But don't it beat all, you'll never be as "alive" as the dude you revere who, well he died there, only it was, well he didn't after all, such that he opened him up a church come the first Sunday it was, that he could.

I ABHOR your arrogant, unsupported, and downright supercilious argument.

You offer nothing - where it is, nothing is the complete absence of something - to support your argument.

Beyond your religious pride.

Pride borne of nothing other'n you're real proud it is, it's you that thinks it.

By all means - nefarious or not - offer up your evidence.

Present your evidence to the light of day.

Or let it forever cower in darkness, like so many vampires!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

[Replying to post 17 by dianaiad]
Would you care, before you explore the question of why "Christians get their feelings hurt more," you prove to us that, hey, they actually DO?
No because that's NOT what I said. For your clarification I said "It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian." I'm sure you will notice the difference in what I said and what you CLAIM I said. I will NOT discuss something I never said. You need to be more careful in here.
Pa-leeze no where - NO WHERE - did I say this. What you're doing here is a set up from your own assumptions. I'm not playing that game. Comment on what was SAID, not what you ASSUME
So perhaps you could explain to me why non-theists, especially non-Christians, get so upset, and react so aggressively, at perceived insults?
Perhaps you could answer the question addressed and not try to change the subject - again?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by dianaiad »

Wordleymaster1 wrote: [Replying to post 17 by dianaiad]
No because that's NOT what I said. For your clarification I said "It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian." I'm sure you will notice the difference in what I said and what you CLAIM I said. I will NOT discuss something I never said. You need to be more careful in here.
Pa-leeze no where - NO WHERE - did I say this. What you're doing here is a set up from your own assumptions. I'm not playing that game. Comment on what was SAID, not what you ASSUME
Perhaps you could answer the question addressed and not try to change the subject - again?
You are, as you have just repeated, begging the question. Before you start exploring why Christians 'get upset over things WAY more easily and faster...' you need to actually show us that they do.

That's what "begging the question' IS.