Does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

I have read the bible up and down left and right. There are lots of things about abominations etc etc. What it doesn't say though is whether or not non-believers can have gay marriage. In fact the laws and commandments in the bible are specifically for the Jews. Jesus opened that up and through Paul's doctrine that became inclusive of the gentiles(those who were believers).

So question for debate does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Can anyone find a verse saying that non-believers cannot have gay marriage?

Overcomer
Guru

Post #11

Post by Overcomer »

God sets down what is sin in the Bible. God's laws regarding sin are eternal and universal. They apply to all people through all time in all cultures.

However, people are free to ignore them -- and they do. But, as bluethread noted, God will not be mocked and, at some point, justice will be served to every single human being who ever lived. In other words, ultimately we will have to stand before God and account for the way we have lived on earth.

The good news is that Jesus has atoned for all the sins of all humankind. He will give his righteousness to us, the unrighteous, and God will consider justice served. However, those who refuse Christ's righteousness will remain unrighteous and face the consequences. It's a matter of choice.

KCKID
Guru

Post #12

Post by KCKID »

Overcomer wrote: God sets down what is sin in the Bible. God's laws regarding sin are eternal and universal. They apply to all people through all time in all cultures.

However, people are free to ignore them -- and they do. But, as bluethread noted, God will not be mocked and, at some point, justice will be served to every single human being who ever lived. In other words, ultimately we will have to stand before God and account for the way we have lived on earth.

The good news is that Jesus has atoned for all the sins of all humankind. He will give his righteousness to us, the unrighteous, and God will consider justice served. However, those who refuse Christ's righteousness will remain unrighteous and face the consequences. It's a matter of choice.
Hmmm ...does not paragraph one seriously contradict paragraph two . . .? Accepting Christ's righteousness does not mean that we humans will cease to 'sin' so isn't 'accepting Jesus' no more than lip service? I mean, we don't accept Jesus, we sin. We DO accept Jesus, we sin. Besides, what is the sin in two people who love one another wanting to marry? Chapter and verse and REASON for such being a sin ...please.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #13

[Replying to post 11 by Overcomer]

Ok well then we can't lie fault with the individuals though as god whom is supposedly omniscient knows exactly what would convince me that what is written in the bible is real. Him failing to do so is a sign of his apathy towards 6/7's of his supposed creation that is currently alive.

Can I nor anyone else really be blamed for not believing in a creator that doesn't really care if we believe? I mean seriously there is a 1/40,000+chance we would have picked the right god on faith alone and that in of itself isn't a compelling reason just to believe in something that on its face is logically impossible.

The bible shouldn't need apologetics to be convincing. It should be convincing without the use of an intermediary.

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Re: Does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Post #14

Post by Tiberius47 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: I have read the bible up and down left and right. There are lots of things about abominations etc etc. What it doesn't say though is whether or not non-believers can have gay marriage. In fact the laws and commandments in the bible are specifically for the Jews. Jesus opened that up and through Paul's doctrine that became inclusive of the gentiles(those who were believers).

Who cares? If they don't believe the claims of the Bible, why should they be bound by it's laws?

Is a non-Muslim required to eat only Halal meats? Are non-Jewish people allowed to eat food that isn't kosher? Why should anyone feel that they are bound by the rules of a religion they don't follow?

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Tiberius47 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: I have read the bible up and down left and right. There are lots of things about abominations etc etc. What it doesn't say though is whether or not non-believers can have gay marriage. In fact the laws and commandments in the bible are specifically for the Jews. Jesus opened that up and through Paul's doctrine that became inclusive of the gentiles(those who were believers).

Who cares? If they don't believe the claims of the Bible, why should they be bound by it's laws?

Is a non-Muslim required to eat only Halal meats? Are non-Jewish people allowed to eat food that isn't kosher? Why should anyone feel that they are bound by the rules of a religion they don't follow?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #16

[Replying to post 14 by Tiberius47]

I think that is the point. Is that you have one group enforcing its religious laws upon another group. That is an issue.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #17

Post by shnarkle »

KCKID wrote:
Overcomer wrote: God sets down what is sin in the Bible. God's laws regarding sin are eternal and universal. They apply to all people through all time in all cultures.

Hmmm ...does not paragraph one seriously contradict paragraph two . . .? Accepting Christ's righteousness does not mean that we humans will cease to 'sin' so isn't 'accepting Jesus' no more than lip service? I mean, we don't accept Jesus, we sin. We DO accept Jesus, we sin. Besides, what is the sin in two people who love one another wanting to marry? Chapter and verse and REASON for such being a sin ...please.
I agree there is a contradiction. However, I don't hold the same view due to the fact that the New Testament points out that Jesus came to fulfill the law, and the law makes a distinction between those who keep the commandments and those who don't. The unsaved believer places their trust in the sacrifice to cover their sin whereas the saved believer no longer sins. This is not to say that the saved believer never sinned, just that he no longer sins; both are covered by the sacrifice.

The "sin" in wanting to marry is that the word itself comes from a Latin word which means "to impregnate". The Greek word for sin means "to miss the mark". Therefore those who are wanting to miss the mark can't impregnate anyone in the first place. Pretty simple. However let them pretend if they want to. Who really cares?

no1special
Student

Post #18

Post by no1special »

[Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]
Yes . Do the non-believers care ?

Talishi
Guru

Post #19

Post by Talishi »

Tiberius47 wrote: Are non-Jewish people allowed to eat food that isn't kosher?
There is the Noahide covenant embracing all mankind, and which forbids eating meat with blood. This was affirmed at the Council of Jerusalem. The Philippine dish called dinuguan is right out.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Peds nurse »

Hello Daniel!! I hope all is well in your world.

I probably am not addressing the topic in the way in which you hoped, nonetheless, I feel I need a voice to my thoughts.

Nonbelievers are not held accountable to Biblical tenants, how could they be? If I was to work at Wendy's, I could not be held accountable to McDonald's protocols and practices. More importantly, I wish to state this: God thinks more highly of us than we do ourselves. This means that we are definitely worth more than our choices or lifestyles could ever be. Christianity has really done some huge damage in this area. For some reason we think that we have to have it all together first, and then we can approach the throne of His grace. God doesn't care as much about our messy lives and choices, as he does the condition of our hearts.

Rant over....Carry on!