Why does God need a book?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Why does God need a book?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

The bible tells us about the Book of Life, which contains the names of those who have been saved and are going to Heaven. If your name does not appear you go to Hell. (Chick Tracts even have God asking the chief Angel "Does his name appear in the book of life?")

There are two issues I have with this (and topics for discussion):

1) If God is all knowing and he knows each of us personally, then why does he need a book to record our names? Santa doesn't need a book to know who's naughty and nice. He just knows. But God needs a book. Why does he need a book when he is all knowing?

2) Why a book? Wouldn't they have really amazing technology in Heaven? You'd think they'd have computers, perhaps even something superior to computers. If the bible had described some kind of metal box that contained all the names... or perhaps a flat round disk, that would go a long way to showing that the bible was divine and not just ancient man's ignorance. Imagine how huge the book would have to be! It would be mammoth. So why use a book rather than some other form of data storage?

Feel free to speculate, even if you have nothing solid.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

sf

Re: Why does God need a book?

Post #51

Post by sf »

sfisher wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:The bible tells us about the Book of Life, which contains the names of those who have been saved and are going to Heaven. If your name does not appear you go to Hell. (Chick Tracts even have God asking the chief Angel "Does his name appear in the book of life?")

1) If God is all knowing and he knows each of us personally, then why does he need a book to record our names?
He likely does not need a book. I think of it as an analogy to make it easier for us to comprehend. Nevertheless, I've never given it much thought and am interested in what others have to say.
Before everyone jumps on me for saying a word (analogy) that is similar to metaphor, in reading the posts I realized that I need to ask a clarifying question. OnceConvinced: is your question why does God need a physical record or any kind or why does he need a book specifically? I was thinking you meant a book, which is why I said maybe it's an analogy for whatever the physical record really looks like. Or do you mean why does God need a record outside his "mind" in the first place?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #52

Post by OnceConvinced »

myth-one.com wrote:
Why not a book?
I think I've given enough good reasons why not a book.
sfisher wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:Santa doesn't need a book to know who's naughty and nice. He just knows.
I thought Santa had a list too? You know, he even checks it twice :)
Yeah I forgot all about that song. But whoever wrote that song didn't believe in the one true Santa. He believed in a false Santa. ;)

sfisher wrote: I realized that I need to ask a clarifying question. OnceConvinced: is your question why does God need a physical record or any kind or why does he need a book specifically? I was thinking you meant a book, which is why I said maybe it's an analogy for whatever the physical record really looks like. Or do you mean why does God need a record outside his "mind" in the first place?
Both questions really

Why would he need any type of reference material at all when he's a god.
Why, if he needed one or wanted one would he choose a book?

If the book is simply an analogy or metaphor then it's fine, but I'm not convinced that it was meant to be an analogy or a metaphor. If this question was raised 2000 years ago, I would think it would be reasonable to expect that a book would be sufficient and relevant. However 2000 years on...

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 48:

Noting there's legitimate "wiggle room" in the context of the quoted statement...
myth-one.com wrote: The Bible represents two covenants between man and God.
I reject any accusation that I, being among "man", have made a "covenant" with an entity I can't even show exists.

As relates to this "all of us" notion then, I find it quite bothersome when Christians'd enact legislation based on a "covenant" they can't show to be anything but Christian propaganda.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

sf

Post #54

Post by sf »

OnceConvinced wrote:Yeah I forgot all about that song. But whoever wrote that song didn't believe in the one true Santa. He believed in a false Santa. ;)
I saw a postcard the other day that had Santa in a therapist office saying his OCD is acting up; he's checking his list three or four times now ;)
OnceConvinced wrote:
sfisher wrote: I realized that I need to ask a clarifying question. OnceConvinced: is your question why does God need a physical record or any kind or why does he need a book specifically? I was thinking you meant a book, which is why I said maybe it's an analogy for whatever the physical record really looks like. Or do you mean why does God need a record outside his "mind" in the first place?
Both questions really

Why would he need any type of reference material at all when he's a god.
Why, if he needed one or wanted one would he choose a book?

If the book is simply an analogy or metaphor then it's fine, but I'm not convinced that it was meant to be an analogy or a metaphor. If this question was raised 2000 years ago, I would think it would be reasonable to expect that a book would be sufficient and relevant. However 2000 years on...
Although not all Christians agree, there is a doctrine that once someone is saved, they cannot lose it by making mistakes (sinning). Could this be a reason to have the name in a book instead of God's mind: so that once the name is written down, it cannot be removed?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by Zzyzx »

sfisher wrote: Although not all Christians agree, there is a doctrine that once someone is saved, they cannot lose it by making mistakes (sinning). Could this be a reason to have the name in a book instead of God's mind: so that once the name is written down, it cannot be removed?
Is this to say that God's memory and trustworthiness is trusted LESS than a book?

Is there a fear that God will change his mind about someone's "salvation" or worthiness or whatever?

Actually, doesn't it seem reasonable that ancient writers invented the book concept to promote their ideas -- while having no concept of what God or advanced technology could do?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Clownboat
Savant

Post #56

Post by Clownboat »

no1special wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Zzyzx]
Do you assume that story (or a bible story) is true if the writer claims it is true (as you said previously)?
I did not say I assume , I said I accept .
Do you assume that a person has not read the entire bible if they misquote it?
I did not say I assume , I said I realized .
Do you speculate about the existence of God (since that cannot be shown to be true)?
I do not speculate , I believe . You speculate about God's existence and for you to say it can not be shown to be true it would mean that you know everything .
There is a difference in meaning between the words believe , realize and the words assume and speculate .
spec·u·late
ˈspekyəˌl�t/Submit
verb
form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence

You don't speculate you say. Great, please provide the evidence that caused you to accept that the god of the Bible is real.

Since you don't speculate, I must assume you have evidence. Please supply it for examination, or perhaps admit that you do speculate.

To believe without evidence would be to speculate. To believe due to evidence, would not be speculating. Please provide the evidence that causes your beliefs to not be speculations or assumptions. Anyone can make claims of course....
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #57

Post by OnceConvinced »

sfisher wrote: Although not all Christians agree, there is a doctrine that once someone is saved, they cannot lose it by making mistakes (sinning). Could this be a reason to have the name in a book instead of God's mind: so that once the name is written down, it cannot be removed?
I can understand why they would disagree. Rev 3:5 very much implies it is possible for you to have your name removed. It also strongly indicates it's possible to be an ex-Christian.

Rev 3:5
He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

It would be scarcely necessary to say "I will not erase his name" if it were something that couldn't happen.

DefenderofTruth
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by DefenderofTruth »

OnceConvinced wrote: The bible tells us about the Book of Life, which contains the names of those who have been saved and are going to Heaven. If your name does not appear you go to Hell. (Chick Tracts even have God asking the chief Angel "Does his name appear in the book of life?")

1) If God is all knowing and he knows each of us personally, then why does he need a book to record our names? Santa doesn't need a book to know who's naughty and nice. He just knows. But God needs a book. Why does he need a book when he is all knowing?

2) Why a book? Wouldn't they have really amazing technology in Heaven? You'd think they'd have computers, perhaps even something superior to computers. If the bible had described some kind of metal box that contained all the names... or perhaps a flat round disk, that would go a long way to showing that the bible was divine and not just ancient man's ignorance. Imagine how huge the book would have to be! It would be mammoth. So why use a book rather than some other form of data storage?

Feel free to speculate, even if you have nothing solid.

I don't think its a question of "needs", thats a strong word that you are assuming and "needs" is not used in the scripture either... right?

and this question has kind of a literal since to it. You talk about it like its a literal book, but it is not a literal statement. In fact, I believe that is talked about in Revelations, right? Revelations is a book that was a vision... There is not a lot of literal content in revelations. The entire book is full of symbolic metaphors, and such...
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes ~ Paul

Regens Küchl
Scholar

Post #59

Post by Regens Küchl »

I dare to take for granted that the apostles (and all disciples) of Christ in general were christians. So that raises this question:
Did Judas become an ex-christian when he went traitor on Christ or was he never truly saved ?

Some will read out of earlier Judas-references that it is rather the latter, but then that raises the question:
Why would Christ appoint a none-christian to apostleship?

To Santa:
I am pretty sure he has a list researched by his elfs through the year. It would also be in character for him to be a very talented cold reader and it is difficult to lie to him.

Remember that when he meets kids he loves to ask simply if they have been good.

DefenderofTruth
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by DefenderofTruth »

Regens Küchl wrote: I dare to take for granted that the apostles (and all disciples) of Christ in general were christians. So that raises this question:
Did Judas become an ex-christian when he went traitor on Christ or was he never truly saved ?

Some will read out of earlier Judas-references that it is rather the latter, but then that raises the question:
Why would Christ appoint a none-christian to apostleship?

To Santa:
I am pretty sure he has a list researched by his elfs through the year. It would also be in character for him to be a very talented cold reader and it is difficult to lie to him.

Remember that when he meets kids he loves to ask simply if they have been good.
Do we know Gods judgement of another persons soul?
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes ~ Paul