Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Homosexuality is changeable

Post #1

Post by OpenYourEyes »

In response to this member's post:
Pinhead wrote: I'm curious...this is a question for Christians who oppose same sex couples because they understand the Bible to state that God feels homosexual relationships are unnatural and a sin.

When science eventually proves that homosexuality is not a choice and is a trait governed by genetics and influences on the brain during early gestation...will all those who state that God opposes homosexuality as it's unnatural still feel that way? i.e. when science proves it is natural for those people as they were born that way. Hence we can assume God made them that way. Will those Christians still say the Bible says it's wrong? Or will they consider the possibility that the Bible has been misinterpreted?
Marriage is an important moral issue and since you posted 2 years ago I felt the need to ressurect your thread.

Christian thinkers here and elsewhere have already responded to your homosexuality objection but I will also add a scientific study into the mix.

Here are the facts:
- Homosexuality is a sin (1 Corinthians 6)
- It has not been proven that homosexuality is innate nor regulated only by biology. Sexuality develops throughout the early years of life so culture, psychology, and nurture plays a role.
- There is increasing evidence that homosexuality is changeable and I'll elaborate with a scientific peer-reviewed study...

Dr. Stanton L. Jones and Dr. Mark A. Yarhouse completed a study a few years ago and here's their conclusion:

"we found considerable evidence that change of sexual orientation occurred for some individuals through involvement in the religiously�mediated change methods of Exodus Ministries (23% by self�categorization)." (Pg. 8 Discussion section).

Here are the links to read more..
1 http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... -Final.pdf
2. http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/usmt20/c ... 011.607052

As an extra here is a debate where Dr. Michael Brown defends traditional marriage while destroying arguments for same-sex marriage..
Dr. Michael Brown vs. Dr. Eric Smaw..http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcncyKCi3vk

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Teachings that lead to murder..

Post #41

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

Overcomer wrote: Dear Aaron:

Here's the problem with simply listing the recorded homosexual relationships of ancient times -- the fact that people engaged in them doesn't make it right. It simply shows that people have been engaging in the sin for a long time. I can also list lots of examples of adultery, pedophilia, bestiality, incest, etc. tolerated in the Roman Empire. Does the fact that people engaged in them make them right, too?

I know that parents will often decide that homosexuality is all right based on the fact that they have a child who says he is gay. That means they are accepting it on the basis of emotion rather than fact. Instead of helping their children break free of the stronghold, they encourage it. In doing so, they are actually doing their children a great disservice instead of helping them.

Here is a site devoted to helping parents of ex-gays and gays who want to leave the lifestyle:

http://www.pfox.org/about-us/what-we-do/

Note what they say about themselves:

Founded in May 1998, PFOX was created specifically to be an alternative to the misinformed gay family groups which insist that parents can only prove their love for their gay child if they support gay rights and affirm their child's self-proclaimed gay identity.

Love means helping one's child to realize the best life possible, not simply condoning the life they think they need to live without criticism. It may feel right to a homosexual man to desire men. But it also feels right to a pedophile to molest children and an adulterer to cheat on his wife. We cannot base our morality on feelings. They are too unreliable. Make no mistake about it: Sin can totally blind us and make us think that it's perfectly good and right when it is the worst thing for us.

There are numerous secular reports on how unhealthy the homosexual lifestyle is, how homosexuals have shorter life spans, are more likely to commit suicide, are more likely to be in an abusive relationship and are more likely to have multiple partners with relationships being far more transient than heterosexual ones. Check out the CDC material on it, for example.

Here is more information from the site I noted above:

http://www.pfox.org/ex-gays/

Please check out the video on that page from Dennis Jernigan who left homosexuality behind thanks to the freeing power of Jesus Christ. Anybody can follow in his footsteps and be freed from the lifestyle. The fact that there are so many ex-gays in the world prove this.

You know, it boils down to the same thing for every single human being who has ever lived: We all have to decide which means more to us -- God or our sins. The homosexual who says he must remain a homosexual is choosing his sin over God. That's his privilege. What is galling is the idea that we must all not just accept it, but celebrate it. Nobody who honestly and sincerely wants to please God could ever do that.
Dear overcomer, are you aware that gay people marrying each other is no different a 'lifestyle' than heterosexual people marrying each other? Each is a beautiful and loving thing of commitment.

Are you aware that the ex-gay therapy movement has been totally discredited as dangerous, false, and extremely harmful? I highly suggest you read the following report: 9 Ex-Leaders of the Gay Conversion Therapy Movement Apologize
http://time.com/3065495/9-ex-leaders-of ... apologize/

Are you aware that the type of teachings you espouse and that certain U.S. evangelical leaders and groups espouse are directly responsible for instigating the following persecution and brutal murders, as observed by this Anglican priest?

Op-Ed- 'How anti-gay Christians evangelize hate abroad', by Kapya Kaoma. Reverend Kaoma is an Anglican priest and the senior religion and sexuality researcher at Political Research Associates in Boston. He wrote the reports "Colonizing African Values" and "Globalizing the Culture Wars."

If you live in the United States, it's easy to be lulled into thinking that the battle for broader civil rights for gay people is nearly over. The last few years have brought important victories in courts, legislatures and at the ballot box, and momentum is firmly on the side of increased equality.

That's not true, however, in other parts of the world. The hateful vitriol that has fueled U.S. culture wars for so long is now being exported, and some of our most ardent culture warriors are finding a far more receptive audience abroad.

The people of Uganda, Nigeria, Russia and elsewhere are leading their own struggles for human rights. Their fight is difficult enough without campaigns of vilification designed by American preachers who distort the meaning of the Gospels to justify the criminalization , and even murder, of innocents.

In nations such as these, an insidious homophobia engineered in America is taking root. I have seen this hate being spread with my own eyes.

People who are gay, or suspected of being gay are being rounded up, beaten, imprisoned, murdered, and even burned alive in public by ‘Christian’ mobs who have learned such hatred from well-known right-wing evangelical preachers and pastors in the U.S., who have exported such teachings abroad.

In March 2009, while in Kampala, Uganda, researching reports of U.S. right-wing evangelical involvement in attacks on LGBTQ equality and reproductive justice, I was invited to a three-day conference on homosexuality hosted by the Family Life Network, which is based in New York. The keynote speaker was Scott Lively from Springfield, Mass., who introduced himself as a leading expert on the "international homosexual agenda." I filmed Lively over the course of two days as he instructed religious and political leaders about how gays were coming to Uganda from the West to "recruit children into homosexuality."

Some of his assertions would have been laughable had he not been so deadly serious. He claimed that a gay clique that included Adolf Hitler was behind the Holocaust, and he insinuated that gay people fueled the Rwandan genocide.

In the United States, Lively is widely dismissed as an anti-gay firebrand and Holocaust revisionist. But in Uganda, he was presented — and accepted — as a leading international authority.

The public persecution of LGBTQ people violently escalated after Lively's conference, with one local newspaper publishing the pictures and addresses of activists under the headline, "Hang Them."

Lively was also invited to private briefings with political and religious leaders, and to address the Ugandan parliament during his 2009 visit. The next month, Ugandan lawmaker David Bahati unveiled his Anti-Homosexuality Bill, which in its original form called for the death penalty as punishment for a new crime of "aggravated homosexuality."

In recent years, millions of dollars have been funneled from anti-LGBTQ evangelical conservatives to Uganda, funding local pastors and training them to adopt and mirror the culture-war language of the U.S. Christian right. Bahati and a notorious anti-gay pastor, Martin Ssempa, were personally mentored by U.S. religious conservatives. And powerful right-wing Christian organizations such as the Family Research Council lobbied Congress to change a resolution denouncing the Uganda legislation.

Other prominent right-wing evangelicals have also made Uganda appearances, including California's Rick Warren and Lou Engle, who founded TheCall ministry. They met with politicians, hosted rallies and public meetings, and used their influence and credibility to contribute to a culture war in Uganda much more intense and explosive than anything seen in the United States; Lively himself described the work as a "nuclear bomb" in Uganda.

In December, the Ugandan parliament finally passed the Anti-Homosexuality Bill, and last month President Yoweri Museveni signed it into law. The death penalty provision was removed, but the law includes life sentences for homosexual "repeat offenders" and criminalizes advocacy on behalf of LGBTQ Ugandans.

Uganda has deservedly received widespread attention, but it's not the only country with a culture war that carries the fingerprints of U.S. campaigners. Nigeria has passed a bill almost identical to Uganda's, and Cameroon and Zambia are enthusiastically imprisoning LGBTQ people.

And let's not forget Russia. In 2007, Lively traveled throughout Russia to, as he put it, bring a warning about the "homosexual political movement." He urged Russians, among other things, "to criminalize the public advocacy of homosexuality." Last year, President Vladimir Putin signed a bill into law that criminalizes distribution of "gay propaganda" to minors, including any material that "equates the social value of traditional and nontraditional sexual relations." In Russia, because of this law, gay people are being beaten and even murdered now, with no response from the authorities.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Re: Teachings that lead to murder..

Post #42

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Aaron Lindahl wrote: [

Are you aware that the ex-gay therapy movement has been totally discredited as dangerous, false, and extremely harmful? I highly suggest you read the following report: 9 Ex-Leaders of the Gay Conversion Therapy Movement Apologize

Are you aware that the type of teachings you espouse and that certain U.S. evangelical leaders and groups espouse are directly responsible for instigating the following persecution and brutal murders, as observed by this Anglican priest?
The study that I posted in post #1 addresses harm. It shows that in some cases gay conversion programs are not harmful. So there must be ways go through therapy without harm that may really depend on the person and the type of program. Rather than trying to ban such programs we can also try to improve how we conduct gay conversion therapy based on what we learned from the bad ways.

Danielthedragon,
The study was published in a scientific peer-reviewed journal. Exodus has since closed their doors but that doesnt mean that tgere were no successes (maybe lot more failures than successes) and other programs are still out there. If other scientists refuse to review these things themselves than we wont get much replicating of gay conversion therapy.

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Post #43

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

OpenYourEyes wrote:

The study that I posted in post #1 addresses harm. It shows that in some cases gay conversion programs are not harmful. So there must be ways go through therapy without harm that may really depend on the person and the type of program. Rather than trying to ban such programs we can also try to improve how we conduct gay conversion therapy based on what we learned from the bad ways.

Danielthedragon,
The study was published in a scientific peer-reviewed journal. Exodus has since closed their doors but that doesnt mean that tgere were no successes (maybe lot more failures than successes) and other programs are still out there. If other scientists refuse to review these things themselves than we wont get much replicating of gay conversion therapy.
All of the nation’s leading professional medical and mental health associations have rejected conversion therapy as unnecessary, ineffective, and dangerous.

http://www.nclrights.org/bornperfect-th ... n-therapy/

John Paulk, 'Ex-Gay' Leader, Apologizes For Involvement In Reparative Therapy Movement:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/2 ... 55536.html

Robert Spitzer has written a letter to Kenneth Zucker, editor of the Archives of Sexual Behavior, in which he expresses his regrets for publishing his 2003 study of highly religious individuals who said their sexual orientation was changed by reparative therapy.� I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy. I also apologize to any gay person who wasted time and energy undergoing some form of reparative therapy because they believed that I had proven that reparative therapy works with some "highly motivated" individuals.�

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/faculty_s ... nging.html

A 2009 APA task force found that conversion therapies, despite being touted by religious organizations, have almost no evidence to back them up.

http://www.livescience.com/25082-gay-co ... facts.html

Conversion therapy has no grounding in mainstream medicine. It is a pseudoscience—junk science.

http://www.tolerance.org/therapy-of-lies

A Christian ministry that led the so-called ex-gay movement, which professes to rid people of their homosexuality, has announced that it will shut down, and its leader apologized extensively to gays for causing “pain and hurt.�

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06 ... n-and-hurt

Evangelical leader Russell Moore denounces ex-gay therapy- Southern Baptist leader Russell Moore denounced reparative therapy at a conference here, saying the controversial treatment that attempts to change a person’s sexual orientation has been “severely counterproductive.�

http://www.religionnews.com/2014/10/28/ ... y-therapy/

Earlier this year, a group of former ex-gay leaders — individuals who made a career at some point in their lives promoting or administering ex-gay therapy — published an open letter decrying all forms of sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE). “It is our firm belief,� they wrote, “that it is much more productive to support, counsel, and mentor LGBT individuals to embrace who they are in order to live happy, well-adjusted lives.� The letter helped launch the National Center for Lesbian Rights’ #BornPerfect campaign, which calls for more laws protecting people from the harms of reparative therapy. Among the signatories was Tim Rymel, who at one point in his life was an evangelical Christian minister and a vocal advocate for ex-gay therapy, offering his own personal testimony to support his cause.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/10/2 ... el-ex-gay/

There has been no proven evidence that efforts to change sexual orientation are effective. There is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of reparative therapy as a treatment to change one's sexual orientation. Alternatively, the attempt to change one’s sexual orientation can cause serious mental health problems, such as depression and thoughts of suicide. Every major American health organization and the United Nation’s human rights charter has discredited conversion therapies.

http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/article ... on-therapy

That stated, I notice you did not address the subject of all the brutal persecution, and murder being perpetrated under the name of Christ around the world as a direct result of 'teachings' originating from evangelical leaders and groups here in the U.S. Why is that?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #44

Post by DanieltheDragon »

OpenYourEyes wrote:

Danielthedragon,

The study was published in a peer-reviewed journal and peer review rejected the study as there were many errors in it.

1. There was no control group to draw comparisons from
2. The study did not account for a whole host of variables including subjects lying about their orientation out of fear or repression, bi-sexual individuals, etc.
3. The data provided to them from exodus international was innacturate
4. Incredibly small sample size.
5. No stringent set of parameters.

It was a poorly poorly poorly designed study that has 0 merit in psychological circles. You claim the study was to measure harm and present a highly flawed study to back up your claim. However, there is a ton of data on the subject and the overwhelming verdict is that ex-gay therapy causes more harm than whatever "help" it could provide.

Furthermore you would have to actually establish that homosexuality is something that needs to be cured. There is a saying among doctors Primum non nocere. It comes from the hippocratic oath and it means Do no harm.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #45

[Replying to post 38 by bluethread]
even fraternal behavior can be the basis of a sexual harassment charge

What kind of fraternal behavior are you engaging in?

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #46

Post by OpenYourEyes »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:

Danielthedragon,

The study was published in a peer-reviewed journal and peer review rejected the study as there were many errors in it.

1. There was no control group to draw comparisons from
2. The study did not account for a whole host of variables including subjects lying about their orientation out of fear or repression, bi-sexual individuals, etc.
3. The data provided to them from exodus international was innacturate
4. Incredibly small sample size.
5. No stringent set of parameters.

It was a poorly poorly poorly designed study that has 0 merit in psychological circles. You claim the study was to measure harm and present a highly flawed study to back up your claim. However, there is a ton of data on the subject and the overwhelming verdict is that ex-gay therapy causes more harm than whatever "help" it could provide.

Furthermore you would have to actually establish that homosexuality is something that needs to be cured. There is a saying among doctors Primum non nocere. It comes from the hippocratic oath and it means Do no harm.
Interesting. Can you post the scientific peer-reviewed source that says the results are all bad?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #47

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Post #48

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

By Patrick M. Chapman. Dr. Chapman has a PhD in biological anthropology and is author of “Thou Shalt Not Love�: What Evangelicals Really Say to Gays (Haiduk Press: in press).

In the opening chapter Jones and Yarhouse honestly and correctly state this study cannot establish if long-term, permanent and enduring change occurs because that would require a long-term study (p. 17). Contrarily, they later suggest the results demonstrate sexual orientation is changeable (pp. 42, 325), evidenced by 11 “Success: Conversion� cases out of the original 98. The conclusion is unwarranted because: 1) they acknowledge multiple anecdotal cases from previous “ex-gay� success stories who later recanted their “conversion� to heterosexuality (pp. 63-64, 72); 2) they freely acknowledge that people in ex-gay programs declare they are heterosexual even if they experience exclusive and powerful homosexual attractions (p. 220); 3) they admit that one of their 11 “Success: Conversion� cases recanted his claim of change, confessing his homosexual attraction was unchanged after the book manuscript neared completion (p. 285; Jones and Yarhouse did not remove his “success� from their data); and 4) the only way to determine if change actually occurred is through a long-term study, which this is not.

This study is littered with biased and sloppy scholarship. The authors suggest the results presented in Tables 7.4 through 7.6 (pp. 239-240) present a “modest portrait of positive progress� in the change process (p. 246). Yet, there is no change based on the data presented in Table 7.4: at both the start and end of the study nine participants declare themselves heterosexual while 51 declare themselves homosexual. Jones and Yarhouse state there is “no indication of significant change� based on the data presented in Table 7.5 (p. 248) and no statistically significant change in Table 7.6 (p. 249). Nonetheless Jones and Yarhouse declare the results represented in these three tables to be “positive progress.� Simply put, their conclusion is not based on the evidence: progress requires positive change.

When one examines the statements of the “Success: Conversion� participants it is once again clear that Jones and Yarhouse’s claim of change is unfounded. In addition to the “Success: Conversion� male who recanted his success, another male admits to still having “unwanted sexual attraction to men� (p. 297), while a third admits to continuing homoerotic dreams (p. 298).

Meanwhile, the authors report 23 percent of the participants achieved success in changing their sexual orientation by embracing chastity. However, once again the actual desires and longings of the individuals remain homosexual.

Despite explicitly stating that this study cannot demonstrate whether long-lasting change is possible, despite admitting that individuals in ex-gay ministries misreport their condition, despite knowing that previous testimonies of change were untrue, despite knowing that one of their own “Success: Conversion� participants later recanted his proclaimed “conversion� to heterosexuality, and despite the fact that “Success: Conversion� and “Success: Chastity� participants retain a homosexual orientation (using Jones and Yarhouse’s own definition), the authors still claim that homosexual orientation is changeable! Clearly their conclusion is not consistent with the evidence: a continued homosexual orientation is not evidence of “healing� from homosexuality.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #49

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately neither if the links you posted gives access to the full article like my link in post #1 does.

The first link talks about reparative therapy methods and the ethics of it but talking about how reparative therapy is done is not the same as talking about the studies done about reparative therapy, inclufing the study i refer to in post 1.

The second link does not address my study in post 1. It conducts its own study on reparative therapy subjects, also using a small sample size. We already accept that reparative therapy in its current form does not work for the MAJORITY of people but that doesnt mean it does not work for all people. Perhaps the scientists should study the exact same subjects in the study in post #1 that report change and no harm.

So for now, i see no evidence that your studies examined my study specifically.

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Post #50

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

[Replying to post 48 by OpenYourEyes]

OpenYourEyes, why do you completely ignore the enormous amount of studies worldwide that show that not only does this 'therapy' not work, but rather causes incredible amounts of real and tangible harm, including suicide?

In addition, the study you site was based on people within Exodus International, which has since shut down and which has acknowledged that its therapy did not work.

Alan Chambers, the ministry's president, said in a statement. "For quite some time we've been imprisoned in a worldview that's neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical." The announcement was made just one day after Chambers issued an apology to the gay community for the trauma he and the organization caused them.

"I have heard many firsthand stories from people called ex-gay survivors," wrote Chambers. "Stories of people who went to Exodus affiliated ministries or ministers for help only to experience more trauma. I have heard stories of shame, sexual misconduct, and false hope. In every case that has been brought to my attention, there has been swift action resulting in the removal of these leaders and/or their organizations. But rarely was there an apology or a public acknowledgement by me."

Exodus formerly promoted the idea that same-sex attraction can be reduced or eliminated through reparative therapy, a type of therapy that involves prayer and counseling, but now has disassociated itself with the practice.