Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Homosexuality is changeable

Post #1

Post by OpenYourEyes »

In response to this member's post:
Pinhead wrote: I'm curious...this is a question for Christians who oppose same sex couples because they understand the Bible to state that God feels homosexual relationships are unnatural and a sin.

When science eventually proves that homosexuality is not a choice and is a trait governed by genetics and influences on the brain during early gestation...will all those who state that God opposes homosexuality as it's unnatural still feel that way? i.e. when science proves it is natural for those people as they were born that way. Hence we can assume God made them that way. Will those Christians still say the Bible says it's wrong? Or will they consider the possibility that the Bible has been misinterpreted?
Marriage is an important moral issue and since you posted 2 years ago I felt the need to ressurect your thread.

Christian thinkers here and elsewhere have already responded to your homosexuality objection but I will also add a scientific study into the mix.

Here are the facts:
- Homosexuality is a sin (1 Corinthians 6)
- It has not been proven that homosexuality is innate nor regulated only by biology. Sexuality develops throughout the early years of life so culture, psychology, and nurture plays a role.
- There is increasing evidence that homosexuality is changeable and I'll elaborate with a scientific peer-reviewed study...

Dr. Stanton L. Jones and Dr. Mark A. Yarhouse completed a study a few years ago and here's their conclusion:

"we found considerable evidence that change of sexual orientation occurred for some individuals through involvement in the religiously�mediated change methods of Exodus Ministries (23% by self�categorization)." (Pg. 8 Discussion section).

Here are the links to read more..
1 http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... -Final.pdf
2. http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/usmt20/c ... 011.607052

As an extra here is a debate where Dr. Michael Brown defends traditional marriage while destroying arguments for same-sex marriage..
Dr. Michael Brown vs. Dr. Eric Smaw..http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcncyKCi3vk

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #51

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Aaron Lindahl wrote: [Replying to post 48 by OpenYourEyes]

OpenYourEyes, why do you completely ignore the enormous amount of studies worldwide that show that not only does this 'therapy' not work, but rather causes incredible amounts of real and tangible harm, including suicide?

In addition, the study you site was based on people within Exodus International, which has since shut down and which has acknowledged that its therapy did not work.

Alan Chambers, the ministry's president, said in a statement. "For quite some time we've been imprisoned in a worldview that's neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical." The announcement was made just one day after Chambers issued an apology to the gay community for the trauma he and the organization caused them.

"I have heard many firsthand stories from people called ex-gay survivors," wrote Chambers. "Stories of people who went to Exodus affiliated ministries or ministers for help only to experience more trauma. I have heard stories of shame, sexual misconduct, and false hope. In every case that has been brought to my attention, there has been swift action resulting in the removal of these leaders and/or their organizations. But rarely was there an apology or a public acknowledgement by me."

Exodus formerly promoted the idea that same-sex attraction can be reduced or eliminated through reparative therapy, a type of therapy that involves prayer and counseling, but now has disassociated itself with the practice.
Because your point ignores the scientific study that I posted. At best it shows that there is conflicting evidence or as I suggested earlier, the reparative therapy, in its current form, does not work for the majority of the gay population.

Ignoring the miniority that reparative or conversion therapy works for with little to no harm is unreasonable and misleading.

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Post #52

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

OpenYourEyes wrote: [quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?

Because your point ignores the scientific study that I posted. At best it shows that there is conflicting evidence or as I suggested earlier, the reparative therapy, in its current form, does not work for the majority of the gay population.

Ignoring the miniority that reparative or conversion therapy works for with little to no harm is unreasonable and misleading.
That's utterly irrational. Your 'scientific' study was based on members of a group which no longer exists because the leaders of the group themselves acknowledged it was a complete failure and rather than 'help', it caused enormous harm to the subjects.

In addition, you're choosing 'one' discredited study when 'all' reputable studies around the world are in complete agreement that such 'therapy' doesn't work and is harmful, which is why more and more places are making it illegal to subject people to such psychological torture.

You also ignore that homosexual people are created that way by God, and that it's entirely natural. One fundamental premise in social debates has been that homosexuality is unnatural. This premise is entirely wrong. Homosexuality is both common and highly essential in the lives of a number of species.

Homosexuality is quite common in the animal kingdom, especially among herding animals. Many animals solve conflicts by practicing same gender sex.

The pairing of same sex couples had previously been observed in more than 1,500 species including penguins, dolphins and primates.

However, in the latest study it was found that the phenomenon is not only widespread but part of a necessary biological adaptation for the survival of the species.

On the Hawaiian island of Oahu, almost a third of the Laysan albatross population is raised by pairs of two females because of the shortage of males. Through these 'lesbian' unions, Laysan albatross are flourishing. Their existence had been dwindling before the adaptation was noticed.

Just as in humans, animals often form long-term same-sex relationships. In species in which this normally occurs in heterosexual couples, that shouldn't come as a great surprise, but it does come as a surprise in species where heterosexual pair-bonds don't normally form for long if at all.

This is true of bottlenose dolphins and killer whales, which are not known to form heterosexual pair bonds, but which do in fact form homosexual pair bonds, including sex, and often lasting for life.

In animals in which "bachelor groups" form, such as bison, gazelles, antelope, sage grouse and Guinean cocks-of-the-rock, it is not uncommon for same sex pair bonds to form and last until one or the other member of the pair departs the relationship and breeds. It is also not uncommon for homosexual preference to form among members of such bachelor groups; when offered the opportunity to breed unencumbered with members of the opposite sex or the same sex, they choose the same sex.

The human pattern of bisexuality also appears in animals. In some cases, animals prefer same sex at one point in their lives, and change preference later. They may even change back and forth. In some cases, animals may seek sex with partners of either sex at random.

In animals with a seasonal breeding pattern, homosexuality can even be seasonal. Male walruses, for example, often form homosexual pair bonds and have sex with each other outside of the breeding season, but will revert to a heterosexual pattern during the normal breeding season.

Homosexual behavior is not only common, but even more common in other species than in humans. There are a few that present some interesting patterns. In ostriches, male homosexuality is much more common than bisexuality, but among mule deer, bisexuality is more common than homosexuality. Among our closest living relatives, the bonobo chimpanzees, few if any are either exclusively heterosexual or homosexual. Indeed, all that have been observed are exclusively permanently bisexual.

Homosexuality in the animal kingdom is an undeniable fact, just as it is for humans. It is as natural and beneficial as can be seen above, just as God created it.

For further study- Same-Sex Behavior Seen in Nearly All Animal Groups, Review Finds- http://newsroom.ucr.edu/2122

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #53

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 48 by OpenYourEyes]

http://drdoughaldeman.com/doc/ScientificExamination.pdf is another

The two previous studies I listed used your study as a citation. They directly examined yours...

If you want to see who has examined a study published to peer review you can simply check to see who has cited the work in other studies published. It is not hard to find. There are also no positive citations of the work presented. Which should be considered troubling
Last edited by DanieltheDragon on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #54

Post by OpenYourEyes »

[Replying to post 51 by Aaron Lindahl]

How were the people who reported sexuality change w/ no harm in the study I posted in post #1 'discredited'? Did you or any other scientific peer-review source evaluate the the exact participants and/or the study itself? Seems odd you keep sweeping these peope under the rug and then posting massive amounts of irrelevant info. that actually addresses my point.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #55

Post by OpenYourEyes »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 48 by OpenYourEyes]

http://drdoughaldeman.com/doc/ScientificExamination.pdf is another

The two previous studies I listed used your study as a citation. They directly examined yours...
Where does this new linked article mention the study I posted in post #1? Page # would help because I cant find it. I dont even see a journal title.

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Why are you ignoring all the following facts?

Post #56

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

OpenYourEyes wrote: [Replying to post 51 by Aaron Lindahl]

How were the people who reported sexuality change w/ no harm in the study I posted in post #1 'discredited'? Did you or any other scientific peer-review source evaluate the the exact participants and/or the study itself? Seems odd you keep sweeping these peope under the rug and then posting massive amounts of irrelevant info. that actually addresses my point.
Why are you ignoring the following refutation by a peer?

By Patrick M. Chapman. Dr. Chapman has a PhD in biological anthropology.

In the opening chapter Jones and Yarhouse honestly and correctly state this study cannot establish if long-term, permanent and enduring change occurs because that would require a long-term study (p. 17). Contrarily, they later suggest the results demonstrate sexual orientation is changeable (pp. 42, 325), evidenced by 11 “Success: Conversion� cases out of the original 98. The conclusion is unwarranted because: 1) they acknowledge multiple anecdotal cases from previous “ex-gay� success stories who later recanted their “conversion� to heterosexuality (pp. 63-64, 72); 2) they freely acknowledge that people in ex-gay programs declare they are heterosexual even if they experience exclusive and powerful homosexual attractions (p. 220); 3) they admit that one of their 11 “Success: Conversion� cases recanted his claim of change, confessing his homosexual attraction was unchanged after the book manuscript neared completion (p. 285; Jones and Yarhouse did not remove his “success� from their data); and 4) the only way to determine if change actually occurred is through a long-term study, which this is not.

This study is littered with biased and sloppy scholarship. The authors suggest the results presented in Tables 7.4 through 7.6 (pp. 239-240) present a “modest portrait of positive progress� in the change process (p. 246). Yet, there is no change based on the data presented in Table 7.4: at both the start and end of the study nine participants declare themselves heterosexual while 51 declare themselves homosexual. Jones and Yarhouse state there is “no indication of significant change� based on the data presented in Table 7.5 (p. 248) and no statistically significant change in Table 7.6 (p. 249). Nonetheless Jones and Yarhouse declare the results represented in these three tables to be “positive progress.� Simply put, their conclusion is not based on the evidence: progress requires positive change.

When one examines the statements of the “Success: Conversion� participants it is once again clear that Jones and Yarhouse’s claim of change is unfounded. In addition to the “Success: Conversion� male who recanted his success, another male admits to still having “unwanted sexual attraction to men� (p. 297), while a third admits to continuing homoerotic dreams (p. 298).

Meanwhile, the authors report 23 percent of the participants achieved success in changing their sexual orientation by embracing chastity. However, once again the actual desires and longings of the individuals remain homosexual.

Despite explicitly stating that this study cannot demonstrate whether long-lasting change is possible, despite admitting that individuals in ex-gay ministries misreport their condition, despite knowing that previous testimonies of change were untrue, despite knowing that one of their own “Success: Conversion� participants later recanted his proclaimed “conversion� to heterosexuality, and despite the fact that “Success: Conversion� and “Success: Chastity� participants retain a homosexual orientation (using Jones and Yarhouse’s own definition), the authors still claim that homosexual orientation is changeable! Clearly their conclusion is not consistent with the evidence: a continued homosexual orientation is not evidence of “healing� from homosexuality.

Why are you ignoring that the group included in the study you cite was disbanded and admitted by its founders to not work, and in fact to be harmful ?

Why are you ignoring all of the following reports?

All of the nation’s leading professional medical and mental health associations have rejected conversion therapy as unnecessary, ineffective, and dangerous.

http://www.nclrights.org/bornperfect-th ... n-therapy/

John Paulk, 'Ex-Gay' Leader, Apologizes For Involvement In Reparative Therapy Movement:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/2 ... logy_n_315...

Robert Spitzer has written a letter to Kenneth Zucker, editor of the Archives of Sexual Behavior, in which he expresses his regrets for publishing his 2003 study of highly religious individuals who said their sexual orientation was changed by reparative therapy.� I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy. I also apologize to any gay person who wasted time and energy undergoing some form of reparative therapy because they believed that I had proven that reparative therapy works with some "highly motivated" individuals.�

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/faculty_s ... nging.html

A 2009 APA task force found that conversion therapies, despite being touted by religious organizations, have almost no evidence to back them up.

http://www.livescience.com/25082-gay-co ... facts.html

Conversion therapy has no grounding in mainstream medicine. It is a pseudoscience—junk science.

http://www.tolerance.org/therapy-of-lies

A Christian ministry that led the so-called ex-gay movement, which professes to rid people of their homosexuality, has announced that it will shut down, and its leader apologized extensively to gays for causing “pain and hurt.�

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06 ... its-shutti...

Evangelical leader Russell Moore denounces ex-gay therapy- Southern Baptist leader Russell Moore denounced reparative therapy at a conference here, saying the controversial treatment that attempts to change a person’s sexual orientation has been “severely counterproductive.�

http://www.religionnews.com/2014/10/28/ ... e-denounce...

Earlier this year, a group of former ex-gay leaders — individuals who made a career at some point in their lives promoting or administering ex-gay therapy — published an open letter decrying all forms of sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE). “It is our firm belief,� they wrote, “that it is much more productive to support, counsel, and mentor LGBT individuals to embrace who they are in order to live happy, well-adjusted lives.� The letter helped launch the National Center for Lesbian Rights’ #BornPerfect campaign, which calls for more laws protecting people from the harms of reparative therapy. Among the signatories was Tim Rymel, who at one point in his life was an evangelical Christian minister and a vocal advocate for ex-gay therapy, offering his own personal testimony to support his cause.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/10/2 ... el-ex-gay/

There has been no proven evidence that efforts to change sexual orientation are effective. There is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of reparative therapy as a treatment to change one's sexual orientation. Alternatively, the attempt to change one’s sexual orientation can cause serious mental health problems, such as depression and thoughts of suicide. Every major American health organization and the United Nation’s human rights charter has discredited conversion therapies.

http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/article ... on-therapy

For a more detailed analysis, please go here:

http://www.exgaywatch.com/2007/11/a-cri ... ys-part-2/

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Re: Why are you ignoring all the following facts?

Post #57

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Aaron Lindahl wrote:

In the opening chapter Jones and Yarhouse honestly and correctly state this study cannot establish if long-term, permanent and enduring change occurs because that would require a long-term study (p. 17). Contrarily, they later suggest the results demonstrate sexual orientation is changeable (pp. 42, 325), evidenced by 11 “Success: Conversion� cases out of the original 98. The conclusion is unwarranted because: 1) they acknowledge multiple anecdotal cases from previous “ex-gay� success stories who later recanted their “conversion� to heterosexuality (pp. 63-64, 72); 2) they freely acknowledge that people in ex-gay programs declare they are heterosexual even if they experience exclusive and powerful homosexual attractions (p. 220); 3) they admit that one of their 11 “Success: Conversion� cases recanted his claim of change, confessing his homosexual attraction was unchanged after the book manuscript neared completion (p. 285; Jones and Yarhouse did not remove his “success� from their data); and 4) the only way to determine if change actually occurred is through a long-term study, which this is not.

This study is littered with biased and sloppy scholarship. The authors suggest the results presented in Tables 7.4 through 7.6 (pp. 239-240) present a “modest portrait of positive progress� in the change process (p. 246). Yet, there is no change based on the data presented in Table 7.4: at both the start and end of the study nine participants declare themselves heterosexual while 51 declare themselves homosexual. Jones and Yarhouse state there is “no indication of significant change� based on the data presented in Table 7.5 (p. 248) and no statistically significant change in Table 7.6 (p. 249). Nonetheless Jones and Yarhouse declare the results represented in these three tables to be “positive progress.� Simply put, their conclusion is not based on the evidence: progress requires positive change.

When one examines the statements of the “Success: Conversion� participants it is once again clear that Jones and Yarhouse’s claim of change is unfounded. In addition to the “Success: Conversion� male who recanted his success, another male admits to still having “unwanted sexual attraction to men� (p. 297), while a third admits to continuing homoerotic dreams (p. 298).

Meanwhile, the authors report 23 percent of the participants achieved success in changing their sexual orientation by embracing chastity. However, once again the actual desires and longings of the individuals remain homosexual.

Despite explicitly stating that this study cannot demonstrate whether long-lasting change is possible, despite admitting that individuals in ex-gay ministries misreport their condition, despite knowing that previous testimonies of change were untrue, despite knowing that one of their own “Success: Conversion� participants later recanted his proclaimed “conversion� to heterosexuality, and despite the fact that “Success: Conversion� and “Success: Chastity� participants retain a homosexual orientation (using Jones and Yarhouse’s own definition), the authors still claim that homosexual orientation is changeable! Clearly their conclusion is not consistent with the evidence: a continued homosexual orientation is not evidence of “healing� from homosexuality.

Why are you ignoring that the group included in the study you cite was disbanded and admitted by its founders to not work, and in fact to be harmful ?
Although this is not the scientific peer review analysis that I asked about but I'll still compare your analysis to the study. The rest of your post is irrelevant since they dont directly address my study or the subjects that were examined.

Aaron Lindahl
Student

Re: Why are you ignoring all the following facts?

Post #58

Post by Aaron Lindahl »

OpenYourEyes wrote:
Aaron Lindahl wrote:

Although this is not the scientific peer review analysis that I asked about but I'll still compare your analysis to the study. The rest of your post is irrelevant since they dont directly address my study or the subjects that were examined.
Thank you for that, but all the sources you're completely ignoring are completely relevant since they directly address both the topic at hand, and the subject group of the 'one' study you focus on, while ignoring all the 'multitudes' of other studies around the world that completely destroy your premise.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #59

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 54 by OpenYourEyes]

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/citedby/ ... #tabModule

you can see all responses to the study you presented listed here

bluethread
Savant

Post #60

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 38 by bluethread]
even fraternal behavior can be the basis of a sexual harassment charge

What kind of fraternal behavior are you engaging in?
Why are you presuming that I am doing anything? You seem to have a great talent for setting aside the point being discussed and focusing on side issues. I was originally pointing out that a few paraphrases differing from the KJV in using the term "homosexual", in a particular passage, does not support the view that biblical preference for male/female marital relationships is a 20th century invention.

You then asked if "homosexual" is an accurate term for what is in that passage. To that I replied that, of all the sexual identity jargon, the term "homosexual" is probably the best, because the concept of "sexual identity" isn't even on the radar in a Torah submissive society. I then referred to how unclear sexual standards make nonsexual relationships more difficult. You then imply that difficulty is due to being "highly repressed". I then give an example showing how having certain sexual proclivities "repressed" through social standards makes fraternal relationships less "repressed", ie councilor and camper. You then latch on to the concept of fraternal relationships and enquire regarding what fraternal behavior I am engaged in.

If I may repeat what the OP poster asked me, what does all of this have to do with whether homosexuality is changeable or not? I was just responding to a side issue he brought up. Do you agree that the use of the term "homosexual" in the NIV and a couple other paraphrases, does not really change the Scriptural preference for male/female matrimonial sex and really says nothing about whether homosexuality is changeable or not. If so, I have made my point. The reset is just differences in social preferences.