Civil and engaging debate on Christianity and religious issues

Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 pm
If God went away, what would happen?

Like this post
If God disappeared tomorrow, what would change? Say he simply went away to higher dimensions for reasons we can't know and wouldn't understand.

I posted this on another forum, and it rather went sideways. I know I shouldn't have to say it here; but we start with the assumption that God exists, but has gone away for some reason.

What would change?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:14 am
Re: If God went away, what would happen?

Like this post
Willum wrote:

If God disappeared tomorrow, what would change? Say he simply went away to higher dimensions for reasons we can't know and wouldn't understand.

I posted this on another forum, and it rather went sideways. I know I shouldn't have to say it here; but we start with the assumption that God exists, but has gone away for some reason.

What would change?

In Judaism, absolute nothing. Judaism is a works based religion to a large extent, and not a faith based one. THere are a number of practicing, religious Jews, even in the orthodox that are atheists. The Reconstructionist Jews have eliminated the belief in the supernatural, but follow Jewish traditions, holidays, and philosophy. God in Reconstructionist Judaism is more the god of Spinoza, the natural processes of the world.

The Humanistic Judaism are similar to the reconstructionist Jews in the fact they go a bit further

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:38 pm

Like this post
[Replying to post 2 by Goat]

Hmmm, how can Spinoza be rectified with Judaism? It more spiritualism isn't it? An impartial deity more in line with Modern Greek deism, that God is infinitely powerful, but also infinitely remote and unconcerned?

Probably need to truncate the thread pretty quick, as it's trending outside Judaism...

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 4: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Like this post
Willum wrote:

[Replying to post 2 by Goat]

Hmmm, how can Spinoza be rectified with Judaism? It more spiritualism isn't it? An impartial deity more in line with Modern Greek deism, that God is infinitely powerful, but also infinitely remote and unconcerned?

Probably need to truncate the thread pretty quick, as it's trending outside Judaism...

NO, it's more Nature as God , rather than spiritualism. It is closer, but not quite pantheism

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 5: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Like this post
Seems to me a better question might be -- If God disappeared tomorrow, how would we KNOW?

Goto top, bottom

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter