Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Are all atheists nihilists?

Post #1

Post by Tim the Skeptic »

Got this from Widipedia:
Nihilism as a philosophical position argues that the world, and especially human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value. Nihilists believe either (1) nothing exists (all there is is nothing); (2) the reality we humans experience does not exist at all as we see it; or (3) reality is unknowable, and thus understanding externality will always be practically fruitless and theoretically pointless.
My first thought is that all nihilists must be atheists, but not all atheists are nihilists. But I'm not sure why I feel that way. Any thoughts?
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow

Cmass
Guru

Post #21

Post by Cmass »

My first thought is that all nihilists must be atheists, but not all atheists are nihilists. But I'm not sure why I feel that way. Any thoughts?
I would agree that all atheists are nihilists but it is not necessarily depressing. It certainly CAN be depressing because it involves an admission of lack of control over your environment (can't pray for changes) but not necessarily. Deism it limiting - which is very depressing because it leaves out so much of what is being discovered about reality every day. On some level, if the deist reads any current science, they must have a depressing feeling that they are missing out on a lot of truth....

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Cathar1950 »

Cmass wrote:
I would agree that all atheists are nihilists but it is not necessarily depressing. It certainly CAN be depressing because it involves an admission of lack of control over your environment (can't pray for changes) but not necessarily. Deism it limiting - which is very depressing because it leaves out so much of what is being discovered about reality every day. On some level, if the deist reads any current science, they must have a depressing feeling that they are missing out on a lot of truth....
If you enjoy living and others even an atheist would not be a nihilist. Meaning is a human construct. Yet their are some that could very well claim Belivers are Nihilist as they condem flesh and look at humans as fallen creatures. Some think they can only be saved thru the grace or favoritiism of God making it largely meaningless and arbitary.

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #23

Post by AClockWorkOrange »

atheism seems to ring more true with "absurdism" which is a form of nihilism. "Absurdism" accepts the pointlessness of life and existance, but finds solace in the journey. That is to say that instrad of simply stopping at the realization of nihilism, they take one step further and resolve to appreciate briefness and find what can be construed as meaning with existance. in fact, "absurdism" accepts existance with a lack of meaning.

full circle, real zen.

ShadowRishi
Apprentice

Re: Are all atheists nihilists?

Post #24

Post by ShadowRishi »

Tim the Skeptic wrote:Got this from Widipedia:
Nihilism as a philosophical position argues that the world, and especially human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value. Nihilists believe either (1) nothing exists (all there is is nothing); (2) the reality we humans experience does not exist at all as we see it; or (3) reality is unknowable, and thus understanding externality will always be practically fruitless and theoretically pointless.

Buddhists are atheists, but not nihilists.

I happen to be a nihilist, so... I think that nihilism is the most true philosophy.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Goat »

ShadowRishi wrote:
Tim the Skeptic wrote:Got this from Widipedia:

Buddhists are atheists, but not nihilists.

I happen to be a nihilist, so... I think that nihilism is the most true philosophy.
Some Buddhists are atheists. Buddhism appears to be non-theistic, since it does not address the issue of god/gods at all.

ShadowRishi
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by ShadowRishi »

goat wrote:
Some Buddhists are atheists. Buddhism appears to be non-theistic, since it does not address the issue of god/gods at all.
Buddha however stated that their is no creator god or gods, and if there were, they wouldn't be effecting human lives.

So technically one might be able to be a Deist Buddhist, but it wouldn't be a very standard for a Buddhist to be a theist.