Who is a fundamentalist?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

scorpia
Sage

Who is a fundamentalist?

Post #1

Post by scorpia »

Okay, I have already run into some sites that I had thought would have to do with fundamentalism, but have turned out to consist of other kids of people acting like them. I would like to know how would you tell who is really a fundamentalist online or who would be some group of people trying to exaggerate their foolishness.

Granted, I know there are some extremists like Phelps, but the there are more often mediocre fundamentalists like Jack chick, who despite their foibles aren't exactly the hate-filled extremists people have made them out to be. The few times I have run into anything fitting that description, it turned out to be fake.

Again though, there would be some pushy fundamentalists, like the people who tried to teach intelligent design, but even they would have their limits. And some of the behaviour shown by those who are acting seems unfitting for a fundamentalist, although I admit I'd attribute that feeling to trust.

So how would I know who is really a fundamentalist or who is just someone else trying to fake it?
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

Talishi
Guru

Re: Who is a fundamentalist?

Post #2

Post by Talishi »

scorpia wrote: So how would I know who is really a fundamentalist or who is just someone else trying to fake it?
The five fundamentals are:

1) The Bible is the infallible, inspired Word of God
2) Jesus was born of a virgin
3) Christ's death on the cross was atonement for human sin
4) Jesus was raised bodily from the dead
5) The miracles of Jesus were historical, not allegories.

A fundamentalist is someone who holds to these five positions, as a minimum. Even Roman Catholics embrace these five core doctrines. Taking note of this fact, Evangelical Protestants add a number of additional doctrines to differentiate themselves:

6) The Bible is inerrant, aside from what can be attributed to translation errors.
7) Eternal conscious torment in hell awaits lost sinners.
8) Salvation is obtained by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.
9) The Bible is the sole rule of faith.
10) The return of Jesus is immanent.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!