To what extent does determinism diminish responsibility?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Should we punish/reward people that cannot but behave a certain way?

If you are a hard worker should we still redistribute your wealth because others are not made that way?

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: To what extent does determinism diminish responsibility?

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Should we punish/reward people that cannot but behave a certain way?
Sure, as deterrent or incentive to influence behavior. Determinism is irrelevant here.
If you are a hard worker should we still redistribute your wealth because others are not made that way?
Assuming you mean taxation by redistribute ones wealth, I don't see why not. Perhaps I can reply a more detailed answer if you tell me why a hard worker should not pay tax because others are not made that way?
We blame naturalistic entities without consciousness (land slide, weather and so on) all the time, If consciousness doesn't matter, then determinism shouldn't matter.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Should we punish/reward people that cannot but behave a certain way?

No, I do not believe that would be just.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Bust Nak]
Sure, as deterrent or incentive to influence behavior. Determinism is irrelevant here.
Well determinism seems relevant. JW believes punishing someone that is determined would be unjust.
We blame naturalistic entities without consciousness (land slide, weather and so on) all the time, If consciousness doesn't matter, then determinism shouldn't matter.
I don't think anyone seriously blames a land slide. I've never seen one brought to court.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote:Well determinism seems relevant. JW believes punishing someone that is determined would be unjust.
That is correct.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Jashwell
Guru

Post #6

Post by Jashwell »

[Replying to post 4 by Wootah]

Civil action against the land is unlikely to discourage it from sliding in future.
I don't see why determinism is a big issue for responsibility.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Well determinism seems relevant. JW believes punishing someone that is determined would be unjust.
Well, what is and isn't just is subjective. Can't really argue opinion. I will just point out the seemly contradictory acceptance of God punishing animals for the sins of man as just.
I don't think anyone seriously blames a land slide. I've never seen one brought to court.
That's because punishing soil will not influence its behavior.