Tampons

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Tampons

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

There is an article on the examiner.com blog about a woman who ran a marathon without a tampon, or anything other than standard running cloths. The article stated:

"Ordinarily, the sight of a woman on her period having an "accident," is embarrassing -- and uncomfortable to watch. However, this runner deliberately ran the race without a tampon to bring awareness to women in less developed countries that don't have access to feminine products. And for those that do, the marathoner wants childbearing women to embrace their periods."

So, I ask the people on this site who called the separation for Niddah misogynist if they also believe "feminine protection" is a misogynist plot, and/or is it misogynist for the government to not provide "feminine protection" to all women.

help3434
Guru

Re: Tampons

Post #2

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

¿Que? Is this related to another thread elsewhere on this site?

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

There have been comments regarding certain Torah requirements of women being misogynist. The woman in the story seemed too be arguing one of two things , or both. That we all need to be aware that women all over the world are suffering, because they don't have tampons and/or women should not be afraid to just let it flow, a la the "burn the bra" movement of the '60's. I was just wondering what the judgment of the resident authorities on misogyny thought of this. Are these serious social concerns, or is this just a woman in search of a cause?

help3434
Guru

Post #4

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 3 by bluethread]

Since you didn't bother linking to those posts I am going to have to assume that forum members thought the concept of labeling menstruating woman as "unclean" and forbidding them to have contact with anyone for a period of time as sexist. What does that have to do with tampons?

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 3 by bluethread]

Since you didn't bother linking to those posts I am going to have to assume that forum members thought the concept of labeling menstruating woman as "unclean" and forbidding them to have contact with anyone for a period of time as sexist. What does that have to do with tampons?
Sorry for not doing all of the due diligence. It was in the Aug. 9, 2015 examiner.com blog and is titled "Tampon-less marathoner on period wants women to 'embrace monthly flow". Yes, according to HaTorah, a menstruating woman could not go to the Temple and anyone who had physical contact with her at that time could not go to the Temple until they had bathed themselves and waited until sundown. That said, could you answer the question, where does the wearing of tampons fit if that is misogynist? Are tampons a misogynist plot and/or should women just let it flow without any social restrictions?

help3434
Guru

Post #6

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to bluethread]

Are tampons are misogynist plot? Of course not. According to the article in the examiner the runner "let it flow" in order to raise awareness that in some areas woman don't have easy access to tampons, not to make a statement against tampons. Some woman might not like that the menstrual cycle is a part of female physiology, but that is hardly the fault of men. It is the fault of men if women are treated as pariahs for seven days after menstruating.

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to bluethread]

Are tampons are misogynist plot? Of course not. According to the article in the examiner the runner "let it flow" in order to raise awareness that in some areas woman don't have easy access to tampons, not to make a statement against tampons. Some woman might not like that the menstrual cycle is a part of female physiology, but that is hardly the fault of men. It is the fault of men if women are treated as pariahs for seven days after menstruating.
No, the article states that she says, "If there’s one way to transcend oppression, it’s to run a marathon in whatever way you want." What is the oppression and why do you presume it is oppression by men? Are you saying that it is men and only men who require women to wear tampons? By the way, according to Torah, a man with a seminal emission was subject to the same treatment. The reason for the seven days is the ongoing nature of the emission. A man with a running sore could be restricted for a much longer time. So, it is the nature of the emission, not the sex of the individual that is being regulated.

help3434
Guru

Post #8

Post by help3434 »

bluethread wrote:
help3434 wrote: [Replying to bluethread]

No, the article states that she says, "If there’s one way to transcend oppression, it’s to run a marathon in whatever way you want." What is the oppression and why do you presume it is oppression by men? Are you saying that it is men and only men who require women to wear tampons?
Did you read my last reply carefully? I already said tampons are not misogynist. In the article the runner never says they are either. She takes about women not having access to tampons, and the stigma around menstruation.
bluethread wrote: By the way, according to Torah, a man with a seminal emission was subject to the same treatment. The reason for the seven days is the ongoing nature of the emission. A man with a running sore could be restricted for a much longer time. So, it is the nature of the emission, not the sex of the individual that is being regulated.
Leviticus 15:16 -17:" And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even. Any clothing or leather that has semen on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening."

That is not the same treatment. The man is only unclean until the evening. The things he touches in the meantime are not made unclean.

Man_With_A_Plan
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Man_With_A_Plan »

If I ever run a marathon, I'll be sure to sh*t myself to bring awareness to the babies in third world countries whose parents can't afford diapers.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #10

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Man_With_A_Plan wrote: If I ever run a marathon, I'll be sure to sh*t myself to bring awareness to the babies in third world countries whose parents can't afford diapers.
That might actually not be a bad idea :)
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.