James Frey's book

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

James Frey's book

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

Jame Frey is the guy who wrote a "memoir" based on his years as a drug addict. It has recently come to light that he exaggerated some parts of the book and made up other parts. I found it interesting that the diverging responses to this were eerily similar to responses to the Bible.

1) If one or a few parts of it are factually inaccurate, then the whole text gets thrown into question, and it shouldn't labeled non-fiction.

2) Even if it's not all technically true, it still contains ideas that resonate with others and serve to help them lead better lives.

I haven't read the book, so I can't speak to its contents, but I'm curious how others responded to this.

What is your response to the revelation that parts of this book were made up?

Can somene give false testimony and still convey truths?

Does a written work have to be factually accurate to be called Non-fiction?
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Chimp
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Chimp »

maybe it should be labeled "historical fiction" in quotes :D

I think the issue is that it was presented as an unflinching recounting
of this guys crappy life turned not so crappy, and that it was all a true
story.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Cathar1950 »

I guess his life just wasn't crappy enough . It has to have that real quality, you know blood, guts, and pictures.
I wonder how they found out it wasn't true? Did some one come forward and say that is a lie, his life wasn't that crappy.
He lived in a much better alley? The drugs were not that bad?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

Cathar1950 wrote:I guess his life just wasn't crappy enough . It has to have that real quality, you know blood, guts, and pictures.
I wonder how they found out it wasn't true? Did some one come forward and say that is a lie, his life wasn't that crappy.
He lived in a much better alley? The drugs were not that bad?
Some journalists (I forget where from) were trying to do some background on a story they were writing about him (a semi-panegyric), and they wanted to get the straight story from the cops who busted him. Much of the cops' stories were very different from what appeared in the book. Some of the worst offenses he claims to have committed were not corroberated by the other people who were involved (assaulting a police officer, etc.). "It has to have that real quality". Indeed. A real "quality" nowadays isn't the same thing as what actually happened. Reality is often more quotidian than we'd like to think it was, not quite as compelling as what should be publishable.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

ST88
"It has to have that real quality". Indeed. A real "quality" nowadays isn't the same thing as what actually happened. Reality is often more quotidian than we'd like to think it was, not quite as compelling as what should be publishable.
I see what your saying. I was trying to say something along the same lines only I was being a smart a**. They had an interesting take on the "daily show" about standards of truth in politics. I wonder how many books out there such as self help books and such are true to the last word. True tv movies are usually a little bent to sell. I often wonder about autobiographies that are written by young people. Postman may be right , we are amusing out selves to death.

kilczer15
Student

Post #6

Post by kilczer15 »

I read it. It's pretty damn good, unlike the Bible.

You can compare it to the Bible in a hypothetical sense; they preach strong morals and willpower, good traits and characteristics, but they can sometimes exaggerate the truth.

Only one of the books fills this profile, and it is A Million Little Pieces.

The Bible often tells valiant and brave tales of violence and slaughter "in the name of God", while Frey acknowledges his wickedness for what it truly is, and he condemns it. It would be absurd for Frey to say, "Well, yes I did cocaine, but it was in the name of God or good."