New Civility Test

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

New Civility Test

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

My suggestion for testing civility and whether a personal remark goes over the line:
"What would Jesus Do?"

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Hamsaka »

Paprika wrote:
Danmark wrote: Just to get the ball rolling with a few examples:

The Pharisees… preach, but do not practice.
They do all their deeds to be seen by others.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

You make him twice as much a child of Hell as yourselves.

Woe to you, blind guides….You blind fools!

You… have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness.
…. You blind guides…!

You serpents, you brood of vipers! How are you to escape being sentenced to Hell?

These are from Matthew 23.
Most inspirational.

Christians should meditate upon these and other such passages and learn when and how to emulate Jesus.

;)
From your post to God's ears . . . .

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Paprika »

...our prayers rise and are heard...

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Danmark »

[Replying to post 12 by Paprika]

Bless you my son. Now, go. Sell everything you have and give the money to the poor.
... and quit following me.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Paprika »

Danmark wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Paprika]

Bless you my son. Now, go. Sell everything you have and give the money to the poor.
Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Danmark »

Paprika wrote:
Danmark wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Paprika]

Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge.
Ruth! You've just got to stop this cross dressing!

tam
Savant

Post #16

Post by tam »

Peace to you!

I realize the thread might just be some light humor, but it does touch upon something important.

Perhaps you might consider that Christ is less concerned with civility than He is with truth. Because truth is what comes from love. Civility, not necessarily so. For example, speaking to someone in a gentle soothing tone might simply put them to sleep, or allow them to keep sleeping, when we are supposed to WAKE UP! Lying to someone - ie, tickling the ears - and telling them what they want to know so that they are not offended may simply allow them to remain in their lies/errors.

Christ did not worry about the Pharisees being offended by what He said. He simply spoke truth.

Peace to you!
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Hamsaka »

tam wrote: Peace to you!

I realize the thread might just be some light humor, but it does touch upon something important.

Perhaps you might consider that Christ is less concerned with civility than He is with truth. Because truth is what comes from love. Civility, not necessarily so. For example, speaking to someone in a gentle soothing tone might simply put them to sleep, or allow them to keep sleeping, when we are supposed to WAKE UP! Lying to someone - ie, tickling the ears - and telling them what they want to know so that they are not offended may simply allow them to remain in their lies/errors.

Christ did not worry about the Pharisees being offended by what He said. He simply spoke truth.

Peace to you!
tammy
When you think about it, telling people what they want to hear (tickling the ears) is neither civil or uncivil -- it's just being dishonest.

'Civility' is a tone that is easy to 'hear' in written speech, which is what we do here. When you respect the personhood of whom you debate with, regardless of disagreement, 'civil tone' comes out naturally. I'd go further to say it is a more effective vehicle for 'truth' than an uncivil tone.

In what online situation, on this forum especially, is it crucial to convey TRUTH without regard to being civil?

You, Tam, have the most civil tone in your posts when just about anyone else would be foaming at the lips :D . You set an example for everyone in that way. I've witnessed you maintain civility when no such civility was given to you. Whatever you are doing or from whatever source your civility comes from, it's working :) and inspiring, and real in my opinion.

tam
Savant

Post #18

Post by tam »

I had to learn. I have certainly lost my cool in the past (not swearing or anything like that, but definitely angry). I don't remember the last time that happened, and that is to the credit of my Lord.

Plus this place, oh my goodness... so civil and respectful compared to a previous forum that I will not name. Vitriol here? Next to none, and when it pops up, it is stopped in its tracks. That is to the credit of the mods and the members respecting the place.

So... I'll just say thanks... and that is enough about me :D

Moving back to Christ:

The words that are written from Matthew don't have to be read in an angry or shouting tone to make an impact. Christ did not add the exclamation points to the writing ; )

You can speak those words calmly and quietly, and/or with sadness, and/or simply straightforward and firm because they are true. They don't lose their impact, might even add to their impact. Or if one is feeling really adventurous, one could even ask Him to read those words to them, to hear His tone for themselves.

Peace to you Hamsaka!
tammy (who has not seen you lose your cool either, even under difficult circumstances)

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Paprika »

Danmark wrote:
Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge.[/quote]
Ruth! You've just got to stop this cross dressing![/quote]
Transphobe!

Hang on while I go start a 'Why is transphobia tolerated here' thread.

help3434
Guru

Post #20

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 16 by tam]

OF course telling the truth is important, but The whole reason for debate is because people honestly don't agree on what the truth is. Declaring what you believe is truth without giving arguments for why people should believe it is preaching rather than debate. Keep in mind that posters on a forum like this are likely already familiar with biblical warnings that you want to "wake people up" with.