Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Did Jesus Lose His Temper?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

I believe it was Paul who said, "Be angry, but sin not."
Nothing wrong with a little anger. It's generally it's counterproductive and makes us stupid and makes us do foolish things, not to mention having an adverse effect on our health. Still... I don't suppose there's much dispute that Jesus got angry.

The question is, did he lose his temper?
A few examples from Matthew 23:

The Pharisees… preach, but do not practice.
They do all their deeds to be seen by others.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!

You make him twice as much a child of Hell as yourselves.

Woe to you, blind guides….You blind fools!

You… have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness.
…. You blind guides…!

You serpents, you brood of vipers! How are you to escape being sentenced to Hell?

From Matthew 21:12, Mark 11:15, John 2:15,

So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Did Jesus Lose His Temper?

Post #11

Post by Danmark »

Peds nurse wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

Yes, Jesus got angry. Notice however, who he got angry with, and why. He was angry with the leaders of the church because they had so many rules that it made it next to impossible for people to know God. He was also angry when the people were selling animals to be offered as sacrifices to benefit themselves (pocket money). It wasn't about offering sacrifices to God, is was about gaining money for themselves.
Yes, I get angry about the same things; church leaders and other hypocrites pretending they know God when they are just yelling about petty rules about homosexuality while they pull down a $880,000 salary like Frank Graham.

The things Jesus got angry about are the same things both Christians and atheists get angry about today. You gotta wonder if some of these people read their own Bibles. They sure don't focus on the same things Jesus did.

Dropship
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by Dropship »

Jesus was half-human, so it's to be expected that his angry human half would show through at times-
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look clean on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean!" (Matt 23:27)

And Moses had a zero-tolerance policy towards slave-drivers-
"He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand" (Exodus 2:11)

And Jesus's righthand man Peter was no slouch-
"Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear" (John 18:10)

Paul said "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil" (Eph 6:12), so Christianity want rebels and daredevils who aren't afraid to go against the grain..:)

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Peds nurse »

Danmark wrote:
Peds nurse wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

Yes, Jesus got angry. Notice however, who he got angry with, and why. He was angry with the leaders of the church because they had so many rules that it made it next to impossible for people to know God. He was also angry when the people were selling animals to be offered as sacrifices to benefit themselves (pocket money). It wasn't about offering sacrifices to God, is was about gaining money for themselves.
Danmark wrote:Yes, I get angry about the same things; church leaders and other hypocrites pretending they know God when they are just yelling about petty rules about homosexuality while they pull down a $880,000 salary like Frank Graham.

The things Jesus got angry about are the same things both Christians and atheists get angry about today. You gotta wonder if some of these people read their own Bibles. They sure don't focus on the same things Jesus did.
I would agree that sometimes church leaders are more interested in publicity than preaching His truth. It is little excuse for those who know Jesus, and I think it has less to do with reading the Bible, and more to do with believing the Bible.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Peds nurse »

Divine Insight wrote:
Peds nurse wrote: Yes, Jesus got angry. Notice however, who he got angry with, and why. He was angry with the leaders of the church because they had so many rules that it made it next to impossible for people to know God.
Divine Insight wrote:And exactly why would a God who supposedly wants people to know him have allowed his very own Temples and Chief Priests to get so far out of control?
It is because we are given free will. We can follow and teach His truth, or not. Jesus told the pharisees the truth, but they didn't really want to hear what He had to say. I believe it is the same today.
Divine Insight wrote:A God who has absolutely no control over his own temples and priests isn't much of a God to begin with.
I think of it to be more true that Priests who insist on their own foolish rules, and put God's teaching aside, are not much of a Priest to begin with.
Divine Insight wrote: The very idea that there is an actual God associated with this religion is absurd to begin with.

Moreover, even if this was the case, this God having to send his own son to earth only to be crucified at the demands of the very priests he's upset with makes even less sense. That itself would have been an extreme act of desperation by a God who has absolutely no control over anything.
The priests were merely carrying out the will of God. It was an act not of desperation, but unyielding love.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Danmark »

Dropship wrote: Jesus was half-human, so it's to be expected that his angry human half would show through at times-
This is certainly not orthodox doctrine. The church claims the opposite. Jesus was fully God and fully human at the same time, but definitely not half and half. This is necessary to believe, otherwise he was not tempted as other men were.

It's a fiction of course. It's every bit as contradictory as the trinity.
Jesus was a man, fully human, and not a god at all.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Peds nurse »

Danmark wrote:
Dropship wrote: Jesus was half-human, so it's to be expected that his angry human half would show through at times-
This is certainly not orthodox doctrine. The church claims the opposite. Jesus was fully God and fully human at the same time, but definitely not half and half. This is necessary to believe, otherwise he was not tempted as other men were.
Danmark wrote:It's a fiction of course. It's every bit as contradictory as the trinity.
Jesus was a man, fully human, and not a god at all.
He was the Son of God, in flesh. If this weren't the case, then His sacrifice wouldn't mean anything. The sacrifice for our sins had to be blemish free.

Dropship
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by Dropship »

Danmark wrote:
This is certainly not orthodox doctrine. The church claims the opposite...
...Jesus was a man, fully human, and not a god at all.
You can follow "orthodox church doctrine" if you like, but include me out; we don't need them to do our thinking for us!
And yes I agree with you about Jesus being a human, he made that clear a number of times! But he did have a direct internet connection to God, which is where he got his downloads of spiritual power from that enabled him to do miracles and stuff that even David Blaine would be hard-pressed to copy..:)

Jesus said- "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does....For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 5:19/12:49)
It's a POWER thing-
"After Jesus spent the night in prayer,everybody tried to touch him because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #18

Post by OnceConvinced »

Anger is fine, it's wrath that is the sin and we can see by the story about Jesus going on a rampage in the temple that he was unleashing wrath. Imagine how much damage he did to their property? This is definitely Jesus losing his temper and definitely a sin.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Zzyzx »

Peds nurse wrote: He was the Son of God, in flesh. If this weren't the case, then His sacrifice wouldn't mean anything. The sacrifice for our sins had to be blemish free.
The blemish-free sacrifice concept may have evolved when preachers discouraged offerings of diseased, damaged or almost-dead creatures (perhaps when they wanted better quality meat for themselves).

The "sacrifice for the sins of mankind", "100% man and 100% God" (200%), the "Trinity" may be believable to those who choose to take the word of ancient preachers, writers and religion promoters. However, they make no sense to those who doubt the word of those people or their modern equivalents.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Danmark »

OnceConvinced wrote: Anger is fine, it's wrath that is the sin and we can see by the story about Jesus going on a rampage in the temple that he was unleashing wrath. Imagine how much damage he did to their property? This is definitely Jesus losing his temper and definitely a sin.
Sin? Probably. But I liked it. :D I respect people who believe enough in fairness to break a few rules. Who wouldn't enjoy it if somebody punched Trump in the nose during one of his obnoxious rants. Yes, no one should do it. It would be wrong. It would make me laugh tho'.