Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Denomination Recomendations

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Hey gang...

I'm looking for a church that features long, informative Bible based sermons and old fashioned hymns...

Not necessarily to join, but to learn, to visit.

Any suggestions as to which denominations feature these?

Not looking for liturgical Churches...nor am I looking for modern "mega-churches"...just an old-fashioned type Protestant church..
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I'm not sure just picking a denomination would fulfill your requests. Churches within a denomination vary. But, I find Presbyterians are comparitively deep in their sermons. We have been visiting one, though it's a mega-church, we go to their chapel service where they sing traditional music.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

otseng wrote: I'm not sure just picking a denomination would fulfill your requests. Churches within a denomination vary. But, I find Presbyterians are comparitively deep in their sermons. We have been visiting one, though it's a mega-church, we go to their chapel service where they sing traditional music.

Thanks, Otseng...sounds like a good starting point. I suspect that the structure with a given nomination is similar from one to another...but that some are more fulfilling than others.

I'm thinking Baptist, Congregarionalist too? A good old fashioned traditionalist church.

I attended a Methodist church not too long ago, and was surprised at how liturgical it was, very much like the RCC without kneelers though.

Guess being an offshoot of the Anglican church, that should not be too surprising.

-YHVH is LORD

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Elijah John wrote: I'm thinking Baptist, Congregarionalist too? A good old fashioned traditionalist church.
Baptist churches I find in general like traditional songs. Sermons though are often simplistic.
I attended a Methodist church not too long ago, and was surprised at how liturgical it was, very much like the RCC without kneelers though.
We just recently visited Germany and decided to attend a Lutheran church. It was highly liturgical, but I liked it. Lots of scripture reading and reciting the creeds. And since everything was in the bulletin, as a visitor, I knew exactly what was going on.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Denomination Recomendations

Post #5

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote: Hey gang...

I'm looking for a church that features long, informative Bible based sermons and old fashioned hymns...

Since you are not differentiating between Calvinist or Arminian protestantism, I will suggest that the sermons will be quite different between them. Also the experience in a Pentecostal church will be different from a non-pentecostal service though the sermon content might be similar.

I can only think of the United Church of Canada as having a broad scope:
wiki wrote: The United Church was founded in 1925 as a merger of four Protestant denominations with a total combined membership of about 600,000 members:[3] the Methodist Church of Canada, the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec, two-thirds of the congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, and the Association of Local Union Churches, a predominantly prairie-based movement. The Canadian Conference of the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined the United Church of Canada on 1 January 1968.[4]
but I do not know of the US version. The UC of C is long on how then should we then live but short on theology in my limited opinion.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote:

Since you are not differentiating between Calvinist or Arminian protestantism, I will suggest that the sermons will be quite different between them. Also the experience in a Pentecostal church will be different from a non-pentecostal service though the sermon content might be similar.

wiki wrote: The United Church was founded in 1925 as a merger of four Protestant denominations with a total combined membership of about 600,000 members:[3] the Methodist Church of Canada, the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec, two-thirds of the congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, and the Association of Local Union Churches, a predominantly prairie-based movement. The Canadian Conference of the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined the United Church of Canada on 1 January 1968.[4]
but I do not know of the US version. The UC of C is long on how then should we then live but short on theology in my limited opinion.
Thanks Ted,

I know that historically, the Presbetyrian (sp?) church was Calvinist...but does that distinction even matter anymore?

Also, is United Church of Christ Calvinist?

I think New England Congregationalists were founded as Calvinist too.

-YHVH is LORD

puddleglum
Sage

Post #7

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 6 by Elijah John]
I know that historically, the Presbetyrian (sp?) church was Calvinist...but does that distinction even matter anymore?
Presbyterians are split into several different groups. Some are Calvinist and some are apostate. I know that the Orthodox Presbyterian Church is true to the Bible because I know someone only who is a member of it.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote:
ttruscott wrote:

Thanks Ted,

Also, is United Church of Christ Calvinist?

I think New England Congregationalists were founded as Calvinist too.
Calvinism is very pro determination and is opposed by Arminianism which is pro free will. On Christian sites they squabble fiercely. Inside a service with a homily rather than a doctrinal sermon they would sound the same.

I've no experience of the United Church of Christ. Most denominations have their ideology posted online and sometimes their history.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Yahu »

Not necessarily to join, but to learn, to visit.

Any suggestions as to which denominations feature these?

Not looking for liturgical Churches...nor am I looking for modern "mega-churches"...just an old-fashioned type Protestant church..
As long as your not interesting in a church that follows the gifts of the spirit, the Plymouth Brethren would be a good option.

They are similar to Baptists on bible studying steroids whereas Baptists are so focused on salvation, salvation, salvation... the Plymouth Brethren do in depth study of scripture.

They don't tend to be mega churches. They follow the exact teaching of the bible on how to organize a church. There is no fixed pastor but a board of elders that alternate teaching and have traveling evangelists that travel from congregation to congregation to teach.

I was raised in the Plymouth Brethren but the family left when we became aware that the gifts of the spirit had not ceased as was taught in that denomination but we had a firm foundation is scripture by that time as a family. I was very young when we left, about 8 years old if I remember right.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Yahu »

ttruscott wrote: I've no experience of the United Church of Christ. Most denominations have their ideology posted online and sometimes their history.
From my experience, the Church of Christ is very legalistic. I dated a girl that was Church of Christ and she was very offended at my church because there was instrumental music for example.