Joel Osteen

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Joel Osteen

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

I wonder, could Joel Osteen be the best preacher of our time?

Sure he is slick, but I for one do not detect any phoniness in him.

No "us vs them" condemnation for unbelievers, just positive, faith-inspiring preaching.

He picks a theme, and hammers it home with effective repetition drawing examples from the characters and stories of the Bible.

This week's theme was "God's 2nd touch" alluding to Jesus healing the blind man, taking two touches to do it, and brilliantly expounding on how God uses that principle in many varied circumstances and applications.

His messages are simple, but profound.

I cannot think of anyone who is more effective....like Billy Graham, only with a little less dogmatism.

If not Joel, who is YOUR favorite publicly known preacher?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

puddleglum
Sage

Re: Joel Osteen

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
No "us vs them" condemnation for unbelievers, just positive, faith-inspiring preaching.
That is the worst thing about hie preaching. He doesn't warn sinners that they need to repent and be saved. Here is what God says about a preacher's responsibility:

The word of the LORD came to me: “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.
(Ezekiel 3:16-18 ESV)

Joel Osteen tells people things that make them feel good about themselves rather than warning them about their sins. Here ls more information about him:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/229-joel-osteen
John MacArthur is a good preacher and his messages are true to the Bible. Here is his website:

http://www.gty.org/
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
That is the worst thing about hie preaching. He doesn't warn sinners that they need to repent and be saved. Here is what God says about a preacher's responsibility:

The word of the LORD came to me: “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.

Joel Osteen tells people things that make them feel good about themselves rather than warning them about their sins. Here ls more information about him:

John MacArthur is a good preacher and his messages are true to the Bible. Here is his website:

Besides his emphasis on the postive aspects of Chistianity, (Heaven, faith and virture and not sin and hell) does anyone do positive preaching better? Not that I know of.

There is a place for the fiery prophetic style preaching of social criticism, but doesn't Joel fill a legitmate role too?

I don't think Osteen would deny the existance of Divine justice, or it's necessity. (Whatever form that may take)

John Hagee (sp? )does a good job of that.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Elijah John wrote:
puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Besides his emphasis on the postive aspects of Chistianity, (Heaven, faith and virture and not sin and hell) does anyone do positive preaching better? Not that I know of.

There is a place for the fiery prophetic style preaching of social criticism, but doesn't Joel fill a legitmate role too?

I don't think Osteen would deny the existance of Divine justice, or it's necessity. (Whatever form that may take)

John Hagee (sp? )does a good job of that.
Saw the clip of Osteen, and I gotta say, I like him even MORE now! I don't see him as a "prosperity evangelist" at all, but one who teaches Bible principles for everyday life.

He leaves the judging to God, and that one thing I like about his message.

-YHVH is LORD

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

How can someone who teaches truth and falsehoods (even if in ignorance) be considered a good preacher at all?

He sounds like the flip side of the same coin... in that he is less judgmental about what he preaches, but he is still preaching falsehoods along with a bit of truth. I suppose he could be deemed the 'best preacher of our time', but then that is not saying much about the 'preachers of our time.'

I am not judging the man, himself, or anyone who listens to him. I just don't see the merit in listening to any of them, when we have Christ, who does not teach any lies, and we can (and are told to) listen to Him.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Paprika »

Elijah John wrote:
He leaves the judging to God, and that one thing I like about his message.
Yet the pastor is not supposed to merely praise and motivate but also rebuke and judge and warn.

'Best' in terms of numbers is hardly the appropriate measure in a world full of people who seek to hear what their itching ears drive them to.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

What falsehood is he teaching? Seems just a difference of emphasis to me.

Also, I'm not talking numbers, but just about effectiveness and content of his preaching...content AND deliverly...He shows how Bible principles can be applied to everyday life.

And has a gift for boiling down concepts to their essence, ,for easy consumption.

Also, is a Pastor's admonishing role to preach hellfire and damnation to folks that differ on matters of theology, or is it his admonishing role to chide society for it's decadent values?

If the latter, I could agree...but to condemn folks who don't agree on every point of theology seems a role best left to the Father.

But even then, does the fact that a given pastor feels a calling to emphasize one part of Bible teaching over another make one a "false prophet"? Or just an incomplete one?

-YHVH is LORD

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Paprika »

Elijah John wrote:

Also, is a Pastor's admonishing role to preach hellfire and damnation to folks that differ on matters of theology, or is it his admonishing role to chide society for it's decadent values?
The first and foremost task of the pastor is to manage his own flock. This will of course necessarily involve condemning behaviours in society not for the sake of 'look at those bad people they're all going to hell so let's grab some popcorn and rejoice' but in terms of 'don't do X because X is bad in these ways', and this is necessary because many societal practices are enticing or are supported by peer pressure.
But even then, does the fact that a given pastor feels a calling to emphasize one part of Bible teaching over another make one a "false prophet"? Or just an incomplete one?
To use an analogy, he would be providing his congregation with a diet very deficient in several key nutrients.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

Any other candidates for the "Billy Graham of our time"? Was not impressed with MacArthur.

Not considering this just from a content point of view. Preaching is an art form, Americana.

So if not Osteen, who best combines captivating stem-winding style, with solid content in easy to understand and apply form?

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

Paprika wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

The first and foremost task of the pastor is to manage his own flock. This will of course necessarily involve condemning behaviours in society not for the sake of 'look at those bad people they're all going to hell so let's grab some popcorn and rejoice' but in terms of 'don't do X because X is bad in these ways', and this is necessary because many societal practices are enticing or are supported by peer pressure.
To use an analogy, he would be providing his congregation with a diet very deficient in several key nutrients.
Well, just as one book complements another in the Bible, one Gospel complements another, ...why cannot one pastor complement another in the Body of Christ?

Why must they all be complete undo themselves in their preaching?

Anyway, who do you like...any examples of a more complete preacher? One whose content is more complete and equal to their effective delivery?

-YHVH is LORD