What did Jesus Really Preach?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

What did Jesus Really Preach?

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Hey everyone, it's been a while for me. I thought I'd pose a debate question and shamelessly plug a request :-D. So first of all, I would like to pose that Jesus did not preach sacrifice and atonement. At the time of the last supper, after 3 years of preaching, the disciples didn't even realize he'd be dying. Clearly he was preaching something other than, "I'm going to die for the atonement of your sins." So what was it and why the heck do Christians focus on bloody atonement instead?

As for my request, I thought you peeps would be the absolute best to help me out. I have written a book called "Christians Are Revolting" which ultimately centers around the question above while walking the reader through the experiences of my psychotic Christendom. I'm looking for a few people willing to proof-read it for me both Christian and non-Christian alike. If you have questions or would like to proofread it, please PM me rather than replying so that this thread focuses on the debate question. Be prepared, it is a full 340-page book of 127,000 words. As a thanks, I can also provide a printed copy when it is complete. Thanks!
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

So for 3 years Jesus went around proclaiming that he'd give his life as a ransom for many and all 12 of them had their ears blocked until after Mary informed them he had risen from the grave? Just because a single verse can be found doesn't mean it's legit. What about the other hundreds of verses that preached everything other than sacrifice? Notably Martin Luther King Jr also "lived it out" so should we just add to his message as well and proclaim him a sacrifice for sins? I could grab a copy of a speach he gave and add in a random line claiming he's giving his life for others. Of course, it might be a little harder to propagate nowadays, but lies do seem to spread via Facebook meme's pretty easily. Ever see the one claiming the Bible says 365 times not to be afraid? I've seen it twice and it's a complete lie. It's amazing what someone will do for money, fame, or attention.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Paprika »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: So for 3 years Jesus went around proclaiming that he'd give his life as a ransom for many and all 12 of them had their ears blocked until after Mary informed them he had risen from the grave?
Quite. They had their own expectations of what the Messiah was to do, and consequently did not understand much of what Jesus plainly said. From Mark 9 we have two examples:

"And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what this rising from the dead might mean...

They went on from there and passed through Galilee. And he did not want anyone to know, for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him. And when he is killed, after three days he will rise.� But they did not understand the saying, and were afraid to ask him."
Just because a single verse can be found doesn't mean it's legit.
What a brilliant methodology to determine 'What Jesus Really Preached'. Just decide on what you want him to have said, and rule out all the inconvenient verses not 'legit'.
What about the other hundreds of verses that preached everything other than sacrifice?

What's wrong with them? We're not saying that he only preached sacrifice, so the existence of teachings on other subjects doesn't pose any problem whatsoever.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 12 by Paprika]

This is an example of a fabricated verse by the NT Evangelist:

saying to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him. And when he is killed, after three days he will rise.."

Jesus is supposedly quoting Scripture here.

But please, WHERE in the Hebrew Bible is that written?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Paprika »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Paprika]

saying to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him. And when he is killed, after three days he will rise.."

Whatever gave you that impression?
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Paprika wrote:
What a brilliant methodology to determine 'What Jesus Really Preached'. Just decide on what you want him to have said, and rule out all the inconvenient verses not 'legit'.
Martin Luther King walked up to a podium and said, "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'" He smiled, and continued, "And after I have died for this dream, I will rise!" The crowd murmured amongst themselves what this could mean.

Okay, now let's apply your logic here. Are you going to pick and choose what parts you want to believe, or is it all or nothing? We all know he said the first quote, so now you have to believe the second quote, right? The all or nothing mentality is not a very good means of determining truth. The only difference here is that we only have the Bible quoting Jesus and nothing else to compare to whereas with MLK there is a lot more info out there you can parse through. But by all means not ALL of it is true about MLK any more than we can assume it is all correct about Jesus. It also doesn't mean that all we can go by to determine what Jesus really said and didn't say is simply what suits our fancy. You could do that, of course, such as feeling it within one's fancy to just accept it all without any rigorous study, but again that is not very honest. If we want truth we must search for it. We can use the meat between our ears to understand the original religion of the Pharisees, the accounts of the stories, the early Christian writings, etc, etc, to make a better picture and make some deductions. Even within the Bible itself it claims that people were corrupting the message and Jesus is quoted as predicting the message would indeed become corrupt. Thus, it does not seem a good idea to me to simply presume the Bible is 100% accurate and depicts everything Jesus said as truth. I am not simply picking what suits my fancy, I have actually studies this in great depth (hence the book I wrote about it).

Back to the disciples confusion, however, if this is a true statement that Jesus said this, what part about it is confusing? Were the disciples that dense? And if this were the crux of Jesus' message as it is of the Christian message, then why did he teach so many other things instead of this? If it were so important, why did they still not understand even at the end of his 3-year stint? Was Jesus that poor of a teacher? Or did he simply focus on other things? Or if he did focus on this point for the 3 years and the disciples remained dumbfounded for 3 years, why the heck would they follow him? This is the kind of reasoning we can use to determine if Jesus truly said these things. To me, it doesn't add up and it seems quite fishy. Especially with the warnings to beware the leaven of the Pharisees and the comments that the dog returns to its vomit and the pig to its mud. It makes sense when realizing that God claimed he never wanted sacrifice. The Pharisees' leavened doctrine was sacrifice and they added it back in to Jesus' message.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by YahDough »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Paprika]
This is an example of a fabricated verse by the NT Evangelist:
Who gave you that idea? The devil? Seriously, where did you get that teaching?

Jesus is talking about Himself here.
But please, WHERE in the Hebrew Bible is that written?
Thye NT is the fulfillment of the Hebrew Bible.

Why do you call yourself a Christian?

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Paprika »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:
Paprika wrote:
We all know he said the first quote, so now you have to believe the second quote, right?
I didn't say that.
I have actually studies this in great depth (hence the book I wrote about it).
That is hardly apparent to me. But if you have done so, do explain why those parts of the texts should be rejected, especially if you're not just picking and choosing as you will.
ack to the disciples confusion, however, if this is a true statement that Jesus said this, what part about it is confusing? Were the disciples that dense?
Resurrection was used as metaphor in Ezekiel, for one. It is quite plausible that against this backdrop they were trying to balance what was Jesus' matter-of-factness in his statement against their own expectations of the Messiah.
And if this were the crux of Jesus' message as it is of the Christian message, then why did he teach so many other things instead of this?
There's need not be just one crux; nor was it necessary to focus on the crux or cruces.
If it were so important, why did they still not understand even at the end of his 3-year stint? Or if he did focus on this point for the 3 years and the disciples remained dumbfounded for 3 years, why the heck would they follow him?
Read Mark again: according to the narrative the teachings about his death and resurrection only occurred after Peter acknowledged that Jesus was the Messiah, before which Jesus and the disciples had already spent some period of time together during which Jesus had travelled around preaching and working miracles. So clearly they would have had some level of trust and loyalty to Jesus already by that point.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by YahDough »

[Replying to post 15 by ElCodeMonkey]
You use a lot of rhetoric to try to cover up your mistake. I suppose it's like a fool writing a book: The more words, the better.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Paprika wrote: I didn't say that.
I have actually studied this in great depth (hence the book I wrote about it).
That is hardly apparent to me. But if you have done so, do explain why those parts of the texts should be rejected, especially if you're not just picking and choosing as you will.
Why should it be apparent to you? You think it can be apparent in a mere 5 posts on a forum? Just because you disagree doesn't mean I'm wrong and thus have not studied it. Let's allow the discussion to flow without resorting to false assumptions and insulting remarks which devalue a person's argument.

I spent many years coming to this conclusion and I certainly don't expect it to be understood with a few measly forum posts. The important point here is that the Bible does not HAVE to reflect Jesus perfectly. And we can indeed use our brains to determine what is more likely. I have already given some input on that idea so you can re-read it if you like. Since you appear to think the Bible is perfect, what brings you to that conclusion? And before you claim Timothy, I can also offer that my words are all perfect for correction and study as well. So if you believe Timothy, the same logic should lead you to believe my writings. So, why believe every verse in the Bible that Jesus purportedly said without further examination of history?

Also, check out the Jesus Seminar which had a bunch of people using their brains to figure out what was authentic and voting what they believed was accurate.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

YahDough wrote: [Replying to post 15 by ElCodeMonkey]
You use a lot of rhetoric to try to cover up your mistake. I suppose it's like a fool writing a book: The more words, the better.
What mistake? Let's substantiate your claims here.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.