Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Is adultery illegal?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Is adultery illegal?

Should it be? Why?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Savant

Re: Is adultery illegal?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Is adultery illegal?

Should it be? Why?
I don’t know any secular law that says it is illegal.

I think people should love others. If they would do so, adultery would never happen.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Is adultery illegal?

Should it be? Why?
The state issues "Marriage Licenses". Do those licenses include any contracts?

Is marriage a legally binding contract?

If so, then the laws associated with binding contracts would apply.

If not, then state marriages are pretty meaningless aren't they?

I mean, they might be good for tax purposes, or other financial benefits, but as far as being any good for the actual "marriage" itself they would be pretty meaningless.

In short, wouldn't adultery be the breaking of a marriage "contract"? Unless that marriage contract specifically stated that it is "open" to extramarital sex.

But that brings up the question, "Would extramarital sex even qualify as adultery in an open-sex marriage?"

Clearly it wouldn't qualify from any legal perspective since the marriage contract doesn't forbid it.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

beeswax
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by beeswax »

Don't tempt me! ;)

What tends to be forgotten is our laws tended to be based on canon law before we had parliamentary systems and secular law making and the ones administering it in those early feudal systems and societies was the Church itself and so things like this must have been almost sacrosanct. So much so that the Catholic Church even today will uphold this standard as virtually non negotiable and quasi illegal. Its was not actually 'illegal' at any time, even in Jesus's day. It was just a means of deciding grounds for divorce.

Its the other side of it that needs addressing by the Church and that is believers should not be excluded as they are now when they are divorced and are able to remarry in the church if they want to..I think the Pope is trying to alter this.

I can't believe we are even discussing this in the 21st century?

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Peds nurse »

Mr. Z!!!

I don't think it's illegal, but certainly lacks moral standards for most. When I took my vows with my husband, I am sure that we meant our marriage to be mutually exclusive to other sexual relations. Besides....I am just way too tired for an affair! :D

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Peds nurse wrote: I don't think it's illegal,
Actually, PN, adultery IS illegal in 21 states -- a misdemeanor in some and a felony in others. Those are holdovers of some of the "Blue Laws" (any puritanical law that forbids certain practices, especially drinking or working on Sunday, dancing, etc) that are gradually being phased out and are widely ignored (often not prosecuted in living memory)
Peds nurse wrote: but certainly lacks moral standards for most. When I took my vows with my husband, I am sure that we meant our marriage to be mutually exclusive to other sexual relations.
Marriage is generally considered a civil contract that may or may not include fidelity clauses. Morals are, as always, in the eye of the beholder. Some couples regard an "open marriage" as being moral for them -- and who are we to say otherwise (for them)?
Peds nurse wrote: Besides....I am just way too tired for an affair!
Tis an evil male plot to "keep 'em barefoot and pregnant (or perhaps too tired)"
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bjs
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by bjs »

Zzyzx wrote: Is adultery illegal?
In some places yes; in other places no.

Zzyzx wrote: Should it be? Why?
What do you mean by “should�? Unless you are talking about some kind of objective morality the idea that things “should be� a certain way is meaningless.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »