Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

secondboy

Post #1

Post by secondboy »

if Jesus was (is) a human like us?
are christians monotheist while they believe in three Gods?
is there more than one God for christians?
what does Jesus do that he is God or like God?
please don't say that 3=1 this statement dosn't justify a wise guy.
thank you.

Tilia
Guru

Re: Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God?

Post #2

Post by Tilia »

quote="secondboy"
Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God? if Jesus was (is) a human like us?

The Tanach says that the Messiah would be God, made man. Jesus said that he was God, though not in those words. Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies of the Messiah, lived a perfect life, performed miracles, was killed, but rose from the dead.
are christians monotheist while they believe in three Gods?
Orthodox Christians believe in one God, not three. Roman Catholics and other heretics believe in a 'trinity' and are thus tritheistic, though they deny it. Many people are confused about this.

Lotan
Guru

Post #3

Post by Lotan »

Tilia wrote:The Tanach says that the Messiah would be God, made man.
More correctly, Tilia says that the "Tanach says that the Messiah would be God, made man." The Jews don't see it that way...

"Jews do not believe that the messiah will be divine. A fundamental difference between Judaism and Christianity is the Jewish conviction that God is so essentially different from and beyond humanity that he could never become a human.
Moreover, Jews find no foundation in the scriptures for such a belief about the messiah. Passages viewed by Christians as indicating a divine messiah (such as the suffering servant of Isaiah 33) are viewed by Jews as speaking of the people of Israel."
...from here.
Tilia wrote: Jesus said that he was God, though not in those words.
Again, a small correction is in order...
The anonymous authors or possibly later redactors of the unprovenanced gospels say that "Jesus said that he was God". Though not in those words.
Tilia wrote:Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies of the Messiah, lived a perfect life, performed miracles, was killed, but rose from the dead.
Oh my...
The gospel stories say that"Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies of the Messiah, lived a perfect life, performed miracles, was killed, but rose from the dead." There might not even be any stories about Jesus if the gospel writers didn't have so much material from the OT to work with!
secondboy wrote:please don't say that 3=1 this statement dosn't justify a wise guy.
How about 3=0?
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

juliod
Guru

Post #4

Post by juliod »

The anonymous authors or possibly later redactors of the unprovenanced gospels say that "Jesus said that he was God". Though not in those words.
I don't mean to be dense, but does Jesus claim to be god in any words?

DanZ

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

There a lot of different views on what Jesus thought of himself. I doubt he thought he was God maybe as in we shall be as gods or as a child of God as was all of Israel. The Tanach is still being debated as to what it means.
In the American version of Christiaity Jesus is God and has taken the fathers place. Very Freudian.

Bro Dave
Sage

Post #6

Post by Bro Dave »

Jesus,(aka Joshua ben Joseph) is in reality the Sovereign of our Universe, and as a Creator Son of God, created this our local universe. He is one of the "Michael" Sons, of which there are many.

The confusion comes from confusing Jesus with the second person of the Trinity, the Eternal Son.

Jesus came here to reveal God the Father to us, in every way we are capable of knowing him. Hence his statement to the effect, whosever has seem me has seen the Father. Another confusion is that while there is only one First Source and Center, within His creation, there are many divine beings who were “eventuated”.(a term used to describe a process of bringing eternal beings into existence)

Bro Dave
:-k

Lotan
Guru

Post #7

Post by Lotan »

juliod wrote:I don't mean to be dense, but does Jesus claim to be god in any words?
If one is Blessed with the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit, one can find any damn thing one wants to find in Holy Scripture.
There are a few verses in gJohn (eg. "I and the Father are one." John 10:30) that are interpreted by Christians as Jesus' claim to divinity.
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

youngborean
Sage

Post #8

Post by youngborean »

There is this one:

Jhn 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

Jhn 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Jhn 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Jesus here is taking on the name of God as perscribed in Exodus:

Exd 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

He is clearly claiming to be god, hence the stoning. This is very clear in context why Jesus used this wording.

juliod
Guru

Post #9

Post by juliod »

There is this one:
I don't think so. In John 8:48-58 Jesus clearly draws a distinction between himself and the "father", whom he specifically identifies as "whom you claim as your God".

John 8(NIV):
48 The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?"

49 "I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me.

50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge.

51 I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."

52 At this the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death.

53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"

54 Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.

55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word.

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."

In context, this passage does not suggest that Jesus claimed godhood, but that he knew god.
He is clearly claiming to be god, hence the stoning.
No. The text clearly states that they thought Jesus was demon-possessed.

DanZ

juliod
Guru

Post #10

Post by juliod »

There are a few verses in gJohn (eg. "I and the Father are one." John 10:30) that are interpreted by Christians as Jesus' claim to divinity.
Utterly bogus. In this passage Jesus even explains how he is using the phrase metaphorically, yet the faithful still misunderstand. What's wrong with christians?

After saying "I and the father are one" the jews went to stone him, saying:

John 10(NASB):
33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

Jesus replies:

34 Jesus answered them, "Has it not been written in your Law, 'I SAID, YOU ARE GODS'?

Jesus is quoting Psalm 82:

Psalm 82(NASB):
6 I said, "You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.

7 "Nevertheless you will die like men, And fall like any one of the princes."

Obviously, knowing that religious people are not good at identifying metaphor, Jesus explained in detail:

John 10(NASB):
35 "If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?

Clearly there is no claim of godhood here.

DanZ