Placing Human-Life Value on an Embryo. Is it logical?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Placing Human-Life Value on an Embryo. Is it logical?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Many Christians take the stance that from the moment of conception an embryo/zygote/whatever has become a human life and has "human life value". Aborting it would be wrong because its "human life value" outweighs the issues of the woman who has to go through the pregnancy.

Is this logical? Can you be an atheist and still place "human life value" on an embryo? Can you be an atheist and be pro-life?

(pro-life is the politically neutral term for being against abortion in all or most cases).

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Placing Human-Life Value on an Embryo. Is it logical?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

jgh7 wrote: Many Christians take the stance that from the moment of conception an embryo/zygote/whatever has become a human life and has "human life value". Aborting it would be wrong because its "human life value" outweighs the issues of the woman who has to go through the pregnancy.

Is this logical? Can you be an atheist and still place "human life value" on an embryo? Can you be an atheist and be pro-life?

(pro-life is the politically neutral term for being against abortion in all or most cases).
Yes, I know at least one atheist who is pro-life.

One can oppose abortion on philosophical grounds, not just on religous grounds.

The fertalized egg has unique DNA, not the mother's only, nor the father's.

It is a human life, at the very beginning of the continuim of development.

Seems to me, that when in doubt the benefist of the doubt should always be in favor of Life.

That would include the life of the mother...If the mother is in danger of death, then an exception should be made to save the mother's life...that serves the life principle more, in that case.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

jgh7 wrote: (pro-life is the politically neutral term for being against abortion in all or most cases).
The statement quoted above is simply untrue.

Pro-life activists are extremely politically active. They are not merely against abortion, but they want to put into LAW making abortion illegal under the claim that is is "murder".

This would politically force every pregnant person to take their pregnancy to term lest they be branded by the political legal system as a "murderer".

So to claim that pro-life is a "politically neutral term" is simply untrue by a long shot.

Pro Choice, on the other hand is politically neutral because it supports that individuals should be free to make this choice on their own without any governmental laws dictating what they must choose.

So Pro-Life is extremely political.

Pro-Choice is not political at all.

Pro-Life is out to force other people's behavior via the LAW.

Pro-Choice is out to protect the rights of people from being dictated by the LAW.

Also, Pro-Choice does not mean that anyone is "for abortion". A Pro-choice person could choose to never have an abortion. All they want is the right to make that choice on their own rather than having it shoved down their throats by Pro-Life political activists via the LAW.

I'm Pro Choice, but this doesn't mean that I stand behind the decisions that other people make. It simply means that I stand behind their right to make those decisions.

Pro Choice does not equate to Pro Abortion at all. Not in the least. But Pro Lifers would like to misrepresent Pro Choice in this way. So Pro Lifers tend to also be dishonest in their politically active tactics. They claim that they are politically neutral (which is false) and they claim that pro choice = pro abortion, which is also false.

Someone who is Pro Choice can actually be against abortion to the hilt. They just realize that putting that into law is NOT a good idea.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
Pro-Choice is not political at all.
This is not true. As you stated, "Pro-Choice is out to protect the rights of people from being dictated by the LAW." That is a proposed policy and politics is all about establishing policy. Some times it involves enacting laws and other times it involves opposing the enactment of laws. In fact, Roe vs. Wade is not the absence of law, but an interpretation of law.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #5

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 3 by Divine Insight]

I am by no means Pro-life however, I am also not entirely on-board with the pro-choice movement. At some point the fetus does develop consciousness at some point it does become a life. While at the same token an embryo and early stages of development it is clearly only the potentiality for life. We have come a long way since Roe v. Wade perhaps we should revisit somethings and re-examine abortion in the states. In the current political climate I just don't see how this is possible though.

To clarify:

1.Exceptions need to be made for rape/incest
2.Exceptions need to be made for children incapable of bearing children(9-13yrs)
3.Exceptions need to be made for the life of the mother
4.Exceptions should be available for fetuses with severe genetic and birth abnormalities

If the mother is dead we should let her pass if the family wishes it and not use the body as a grotesque baby farm.

I wish there could be a civil debate on abortion its uses and its regulation. I just don't really see that happening though.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

jgh7

Post #6

Post by jgh7 »

I think I incorrectly used "politically neutral". I simply meant it's the most accepted term for that side. They prefer it over "anti-abortionist", just like pro-choicers prefer the term "pro-choice" over "pro-abortionist". I guess they feel it describes them the best.

It's too late for me to edit my OP, but if I could I would simply remove the "politically neutral" part of it as it can cause confusion.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Paprika »

jgh7 wrote: Many Christians take the stance that from the moment of conception an embryo/zygote/whatever has become a human life and has "human life value"....

Why not?

It's elementary. We just look at the biology: is the embryo a human life? If it is, then it is trivial that whatever value a human life has (aka "human life value") the embryo also possesses.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #8

Post by Bust Nak »

Divine Insight wrote: Pro Choice, on the other hand is politically neutral because it supports that individuals should be free to make this choice on their own without any governmental laws dictating what they must choose.
Surely pro choice is not politically active simply because we've already won on the political front and merely want to maintain the status quo?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

It is logical for those of us (like myself) that believe life is from God and begins when an individual is formed in the womb of his mother.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Mountainmanbob
Student

Post #10

Post by Mountainmanbob »

jgh7 wrote:
A few probably are pro life.
Ones who care for and love babies.
MB