Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

The story of Lot tells us that a couple of angels visited Lot and that a gay mob demanded they be brought out so they could have their way with them. Lot then did the absolutely atrocious act of offering up his daughters to them to protect the angels.

The question I have about this story and I can never get a straight answer is why would angels need to be protected anyway? Angels are spiritual beings and even if they somehow manifested in human bodies I still don't see what harm could possibly befall them.

So why did these angels need to be protected from the angry gay mob?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

William
Savant

Re: Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Post #51

Post by William »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:18 pm
William wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 pm [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #45]
the Mangler Argument Fallacy
Did you make that up?
Have you never heard of that before?
No. That is why I asked.
Why not google it?
My bad. I thought to write that I had tried googling it. The word "Mangle" was struck out of the search.
I then re-searched instructing google to include the word and came up with stuff which appears to show the word used is not the one from the English language
" Ad hominem-argument

Begrunnelse rediger. Lær mer. Mangler referanser: Dette avsnittet trenger flere eller bedre referanser for verifikasjon."
and
"Bilde mangler". Informal Fallacies. Douglas. Walton Bok · Engelsk · 1987 ... What is a Fallacy?; NOTES; CHAPTER 4: LOGICAL DIALOGUE-GAMES; 1. Different ...
Argument Types and Fallacies in Legal Argumentation

Forfatter: info mangler. Bog. Denne udgave; Bog, paperback; Engelsk. Indgår i ... Legal argumentation Absence of Evidence Ad Hominem Fallacies Anti-Theoretical ...
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #52

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to William in post #51]
Very well! I plan to explain the Mangler Argument Fallacy in a separate thread soon!

Stay on and be very very ware!
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #53

Post by TRANSPONDER »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:36 pm [Replying to William in post #51]
Very well! I plan to explain the Mangler Argument Fallacy in a separate thread soon!

Stay on and be very very ware!
I had a look and it could not be found. I did find the Wiki argument had an interesting comment - that today, some informal logical fallacies are being questioned, at least whether they always work.

I have argued for a long time that a 'you too' is valid if the other side is trying to claim the high moral ground, but they do just as bad, but it is valid in that an you to argument does not invalidate the point. e.g "That aircraft design will never fly." "Well you designed one last year and that didn't fly." It is invalid as the failure of the critic to make a better plane does not make the one being designed a good one - that depends only of the merits of the design. Of course with 'moral ground' it may be valid. If he claimed to be a better engineer and thus his critique was valid, his failure to make as good a plane himself would scupper that argument.

Bottom line, William could easily say what the 'mangler' argument was and we could evaluate it. I'll check - he may have done that rather than chucked in 'That fails because of the Mangler argument'. which would of course be worthless without saying why.

Ad! "But now I want to add another thought to the Mangler Argument Fallacy that arises everytime one assumes angels to be pure spiritual beings:" This is clear. It is of course a strawman argument or related to it. One is debunking an argument using a wrong understanding of thet the argument is.

It is the (valid - partly) argument when atheists argue about the God -claim. 'God climbed aboard another man's wife, without even asking her first" "But I'm not talking about That god".

Atheists do have to deal with Baggage getting in the way. It is nearly always Biblegod being disgussed and if it is something else, the debator ought to make that clear to begin with.

But here we have a 'mangler' argument that seems itself a stawman. Angels are spirit beings (or at least divine) and do not need protection from a mob. IF one argues that they lose their super -powers just to make the story work, then they do need to be protected. If they do not, then it requires that their protector only believed they would need protecting.

Yes this 'mangler' - 'That's not the kind of god (or angels) I was talking about" - is valid and we do hear it. But if it isn't mainstream church dogma we are discussing, then that ought to be made clear at the start, not sprung on the other side like a booby trap later on.

William
Savant

Post #54

Post by William »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:36 pm [Replying to William in post #51]

Crickets are chirping. Perhaps you have been distracted?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #55

Post by The Nice Centurion »

William wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:19 pm

Crickets are chirping. Perhaps you have been distracted?
Hey, I am in good company there❗🌴🍀

Jesus did Say He’d Return within His Disciples’ Lifetimes❗🔮🏦

And yet he didnt arrive already❗🐼
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/arti ... lifetimes/

But yer right! The Mangler Argument Fallacy needs explanation soon!

Where again is the certain thread of this forum that is most suitable for presenting New Fallacys❓🍄
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"