Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

The story of Lot tells us that a couple of angels visited Lot and that a gay mob demanded they be brought out so they could have their way with them. Lot then did the absolutely atrocious act of offering up his daughters to them to protect the angels.

The question I have about this story and I can never get a straight answer is why would angels need to be protected anyway? Angels are spiritual beings and even if they somehow manifested in human bodies I still don't see what harm could possibly befall them.

So why did these angels need to be protected from the angry gay mob?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Re: Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Post #11

Post by Paprika »

OnceConvinced wrote: The story of Lot tells us that a couple of angels visited Lot and that a gay mob demanded they be brought out so they could have their way with them...

The question I have about this story and I can never get a straight answer is why would angels need to be protected anyway? Angels are spiritual beings and even if they somehow manifested in human bodies I still don't see what harm could possibly befall them.

Seriously? This is a debate question? It's pretty obvious in the story the angels as visiting incognito, and that Lot thought they were normal humans.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Willum
Savant

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by Paprika]

If he thought they were normal humans, (of divine beauty, suspiciously) why didn't he let them be; it all becomes a little paradoxical, unless, someone, including the author perhaps, knew the ending.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Paprika »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Paprika]

If he thought they were normal humans, (of divine beauty, suspiciously) why didn't he let them be
Hospitality.
The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth and said, “My lords, please turn aside to your servant's house and spend the night and wash your feet. Then you may rise up early and go on your way.� They said, “No; we will spend the night in the town square.� But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Justin108 »

Paprika wrote:

If he thought they were normal humans, (of divine beauty, suspiciously) why didn't he let them be
Hospitality.
How is telling a mob to rape your daughters hospitality? Would you be this hospitable if a guest stayed at your place? If a mob showed up, would you ask them to rather rape your children than your guests?

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Paprika »

Justin108 wrote:
Paprika wrote:

Hospitality.
How is telling a mob to rape your daughters hospitality?
Defending one's guests is hospitality. Again, a little homework will dispel ignorance:

"In response to the mob, Lot acts like a virtuous host: he steps outside the house and places himself between the visitors and the mob (19:6). Lot's second desperate attempt to safeguard his strangers, offering his two virgin daughters to the Sodomites for sexual pleasure, is morally repugnant but further demonstrates Lot's resolve to fulfill the hospitality protocols at any cost (19:6-8). In fact, he begs the men to cease from their wickedness since the strangers "have come under the shelter of my roof"

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #16

Post by OnceConvinced »

Zzyzx wrote: .
If inhabitants were exclusively homosexual a wise god would realize that it need not do anything to depopulate a city -- simply wait one generation.
But they might have turned straight people from other cities into homosexuals! You know what these gays are like. Always trying to trick people into becoming like them. ;)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #17

Post by OnceConvinced »

Paprika wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: The story of Lot tells us that a couple of angels visited Lot and that a gay mob demanded they be brought out so they could have their way with them...

Seriously? This is a debate question? It's pretty obvious in the story the angels as visiting incognito, and that Lot thought they were normal humans.
Judging by Lot's lack of shock and amazement at what the angels did to the mob, I'd say there is reason to believe he DID know they were angels.

But looking at the story again I would say that it is highly possible he just saw them as humans. However the tale does not tell us that for certain.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Paprika »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Judging by Lot's lack of shock and amazement at what the angels did to the mob
And how do you arrive at this reading? Is it going to be something along the lines of 'absence of evidence is the evidence of absence'?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Justin108 »

Paprika wrote: Defending one's guests is hospitality. Again, a little homework will dispel ignorance:

"In response to the mob, Lot acts like a virtuous host: he steps outside the house and places himself between the visitors and the mob (19:6). Lot's second desperate attempt to safeguard his strangers, offering his two virgin daughters to the Sodomites for sexual pleasure, is morally repugnant but further demonstrates Lot's resolve to fulfill the hospitality protocols at any cost (19:6-8). In fact, he begs the men to cease from their wickedness since the strangers "have come under the shelter of my roof"
Why does he value hospitality over his responsibility to protect his own family?

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Paprika »

Justin108 wrote:
Why does he value hospitality over his responsibility to protect his own family?
That is a great question. Remind me to ask that on the Last Day.