Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

The story of Lot tells us that a couple of angels visited Lot and that a gay mob demanded they be brought out so they could have their way with them. Lot then did the absolutely atrocious act of offering up his daughters to them to protect the angels.

The question I have about this story and I can never get a straight answer is why would angels need to be protected anyway? Angels are spiritual beings and even if they somehow manifested in human bodies I still don't see what harm could possibly befall them.

So why did these angels need to be protected from the angry gay mob?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

tam
Savant

Post #2

Post by tam »

They didn't need to be protected (though they had manifested physical bodies). That does not mean that Lot knew this, at least not at first, or that he knew they were angels (rather than men from God, or just simply strangers passing through the city that he hoped to protect), and simply took them into his house and tried to protect them from the mob.

He learned soon enough that they did not need protection, but rather, they protected Lot and his family.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #3

Post by Inigo Montoya »

I don't believe a word of that, but that was a perfect answer. Kudos.

Willum
Savant

Re: Why would angels need protecting from a raging mob?

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

God needs to destroy a city, don't get in the way of the plot.
If I recall, Lot knew they were angels.

But look at what that says about homosexuals. Destroying an entire because everyone had an alternative lifestyle?

All of them were evil? I hope it wasn't because of one determining variable.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

If inhabitants were exclusively homosexual a wise god would realize that it need not do anything to depopulate a city -- simply wait one generation.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #6

Post by DanieltheDragon »

They didn't
11Then they struck the men who were at the door of the house, young and old, with blindness so that they could not find the door.
The situation was resolved without violence. Indeed if they had intended to rape these angels then a punishment should be levied, however death seems a bit extreme especially in the context of killing everyone else who was not involved.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #7

Post by Elijah John »

Inigo Montoya wrote: I don't believe a word of that, but that was a perfect answer. Kudos.
Moderator Comment

This can be considered a "one-liner" that does not advance the debate. If one does not believe "a word of that" please indicate why, and/or if one wishes to simply affirm approval for a particular post or comment, please use the token MPG system, or the "like" feature. Thank you.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #8

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Ah, yes. I don't believe a word of Tam's explanation because angels, gods and stories in the bible can't be shown to be anything other than stories. Apologies. It really was a fine answer on her part though.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #9

Post by Youkilledkenny »

If memory serves (which, at my age, may be failing) but didn't Lot offer up his daughters to these people? And God was A OK with this but not the peopel of the city?!?!
Really?
Seems to me God was more concerned with his angels than with Lot's innocent daughters.
Sniff sniff...something's fishy with this story
Again, if memory serves

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

Inigo Montoya wrote: Ah, yes. I don't believe a word of Tam's explanation because angels, gods and stories in the bible can't be shown to be anything other than stories. Apologies. It really was a fine answer on her part though.
Moderator Clarification
Hi IM,

The issue really isn't just a one liner because here you are simply adding words to the same idea and still violating the one liner ethos. The issue is that this thread is presuming the Bible and therefore God and it does not care about what we believe. It is not fair to the topic to then have people air their views on what they believe about God or anything.

It's basically off topic.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."