Gun Control

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Gun Control

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Gun control in America is a very hot topic right now. Do religious views factor at all into swaying someone to be for or against gun control?

I'm also just plain interested in the topic of gun control and whether it's right or wrong. I know this site is meant for topics to be relating back to religion, but for this topic in addition to religious views I'd also just like to know people's general opinions of gun control.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

Gun control is a Biblical issue.
And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?�

They said, “Nothing.�

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.�
(Luke 22:35-37 ESV)
Jesus taught that it is permissible to own weapons for self defense. There should be restrictions to keep criminals and children from obtaining guns and some weapons such as machine guns should be banned but a law abiding citizen should be able to legally obtain weapons so he can protect himself.

Whenever a mass shooting takes place there are demands for increased gun control but such controls are attacking the symptoms of the problem rather than the cause. I am 74 years old and I remember a time when guns were easy to obtain and yet we didn't have the mass shootings we have today. There was one other difference. Most people believed the Bible and the standards of morality it taught. Today people know little about the Bible and many reject it. As a result children grow up without solid standards of right and wrong. The real problem we face to day isn't the availability of guns but the fact that so many people don't see anything wrong with using them to kill innocent people.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 2 by puddleglum]
There is no easy answer to fix the "cause" of people thinking it's okay to shoot innocent people. There is however an way for addressing the symptoms. Surely you have a moral duty to fix the symptoms?

puddleglum
Sage

Post #4

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 3 by Bust Nak]
Surely you have a moral duty to fix the symptoms?
Of course we should treat the symptoms but in the long run that won't do any good unless we also deal with the underlying cause.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 4 by puddleglum]

I presume by "we should treat the symptoms," you are for stricter gun control? I wasn't sure when you said law abiding citizen should be able to legally obtain weapons, aren't the guns used in recent mass shooting legally obtained?

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

The root is the break down in community and "militia" mentality that the 2nd amendment refers to. The best defense is for people to be aware of their surroundings. In a true community, not the PC groupings based on characteristics, people know one another and are on notice as to who is a risk and who is not. That is why I like open carry because it puts everyone on notice. Also, in a healthy mentality the citizenry accepts personal responsibility for the health of the community. The expansion of the "right of privacy" into the public square has undermined our security. As long as people can claim the "right" to do whatever they want wherever they want without criticism we are leaving ourselves open to attack. In the recent case, the man's father complained about his son being permitted to build an arsenal. What? Why didn't the father know this himself and why does he consider it to be the governments responsibility to do something about it, when he wasn't.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

I am a pacifist who will not be a victim, nor let anyone victimize my family. Non-violence is a choice not a default because I'm incapable of self defence.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Hamsaka »

puddleglum wrote: Gun control is a Biblical issue.
And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?�

They said, “Nothing.�

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.�
(Luke 22:35-37 ESV)
Jesus taught that it is permissible to own weapons for self defense. There should be restrictions to keep criminals and children from obtaining guns and some weapons such as machine guns should be banned but a law abiding citizen should be able to legally obtain weapons so he can protect himself.
Wasn't Jesus advising his disciples before sending them out to teach his message, knowing they would be in danger along the way? It seems to specific to the situation he was sending his disciples into for guns to be a Biblical issue. I guess if you are looking for scriptural support, you could find it in nearly every book or letter.

Considering Jesus' much more pacifist Sermon on the Mount, I'd think assuming Jesus commanding his followers in general to be armed is quite a stretch. Besides, no one here can rightfully claim to know if Jesus meant for gun enthusiasts to take their direction from his instructions to his disciples. I can see it, but it looks awfully convenient for the gun enthusiast's purposes . . .

I own two hand guns and would rather keep them, exactly for those 'just in case' reasons most people own hand guns, rather than flatter myself that my God makes guns a 'Biblical issue'.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #9

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 2 by puddleglum]
There is no easy answer to fix the "cause" of people thinking it's okay to shoot innocent people. There is however an way for addressing the symptoms. Surely you have a moral duty to fix the symptoms?
I am not so sure the symptoms can be fixed there is already what 300,000,000+ million guns already in circulation?

Let's say we ban gun ownership is the government going to go in and take the guns away? what happens in that situation?

50% of the country is going to resist any meaningful gun regulation so let's say on a state level some states pass strong regulation and others don't. Well people are just going to go across the border to get guns.

In the event that real meaningful legislation looks like it is going to get passed, people are just going to go to gun stores in droves and buy up as much as they can while they can.

I hate to be cynical but the issue is a cultural issue. We can pass all the gun regulations we want but unless it falls short of banning all non-hunting weapons entirely it is moot. Because a significant portion of Americans lose their marbles when it comes to guns.

I own a .270 Win a 20 gauge Remington and a compound bow. Frankly, I really don't care if the wait time is moved from 3 to 5 days. Are we all really in such a hurry that we can't wait 2 whole days to get guns?

Then we have morons like the idiot the other day that tried to be a hero and stop a shop lifter except this "hero" just started taking pot shots at the person as he climbed into an SUV. It is MORONS like that who don't need to own guns. Delusional hero types can often be the most dangerous here's looking at Zimmerman.

The question is how do we regulate it and how do we police it. Since there is no way to really pysche evaluate everyone.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #10

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 8 by Hamsaka]
Wasn't Jesus advising his disciples before sending them out to teach his message, knowing they would be in danger along the way? It seems to specific to the situation he was sending his disciples into for guns to be a Biblical issue.
He was addressing a specific situation but his command does reveal a general moral truth; it is permissible to own weapons for protection.