Justin108
Banned
Banned

Do humans look like God?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

dianaiad wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Man was made in God's image. As most modern Christians interpret this, it means we have a soul.
OK. Actually, I believe that we look like Him, not the other way around, but...OK.
Do humans look like God? Wouldn't it be pointless for God to have hands, feet, teeth, etc. when he can literally do anything? Why have feet when you're everywhere at all times? Why have teeth when you never eat? Why have hands? Does God ever need to pick something up? Does God have a penis? Does he need to urinate or reproduce? Does God need a nose to smell? It seems entirely nonesensical to assume that if a god existed that he would look even remotely human.

Willum
Savant

Re: Do humans look like God?

Post #21

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 20 by catnip]

I didn't mention pantheism this go-around, however, the point is well taken.
If god is all powerful, he can be one god or three, three gods or twelve. No limits, correct?

He can be whatever he needs to be to (presumably) get his message across? To accomplish whatever goals he may have, right? So the general point is something all powerful can have any attributes.

An all powerful entity is certainly not constrained by any words in any book, or by the feeble interpretation of those attempts at descriptions of the indescribable by man. Even those fundamental truths, for example do not necessarily apply, for to one who can murder then resurrect, where is their sin, or dishonesty?

So saying god is a spirit, does not remove the possibility of a god having an image. He would be a spirit with a presence. Matthew 19:26-"...with god all things are possible..."

I am sorry if you aren't particular about All-Powerful, me either, but it is usually a default of the Christians' god.

Willum
Savant

Post #22

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 18 by FreeBird]
If you're telling me that God has human qualities, such as muscles, a digestive system, moving bowels, lungs to breath, a heart to pump blood, a penis to urinate and ejaculate sperm (when fully erected), reproduce with a female, regardless if she's still a virgin or not, then you are awfully confused about the Abrahamic God.
God impregnated a girl, presumably two gametes became one cell, one cell, two, multiplied, specialized into muscles, a digestive system, moving bowels, lungs to breath, a heart to pump blood, ..., so, I would presume it is you are, in your own words, confused about the Abrahamic God.

FreeBird

Post #23

Post by FreeBird »

[Replying to post 22 by Willum]
God impregnated a girl, presumably two gametes became one cell, one cell, two, multiplied, specialized into muscles, a digestive system, moving bowels, lungs to breath, a heart to pump blood, ..., so, I would presume it is you are, in your own words, confused about the Abrahamic God.
Where did you get all this interesting information which is not in the bible?

Willum
Savant

Post #24

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 23 by FreeBird]

That is an excellent point. I do have to work backwards, however.

When Jesus was stabbed in the side releasing blood that put him in the coma he eventually woke up from, he had blood. Blood implies a need for blood.
He moved so he had muscle.
He ate so he had a stomach and digestive track.
Respiration is usually required for the above.
He gestated the normal time months, implying the process of development was the same.

Actually this is very telling. It means that gods DNA did not cause any difference in mitosis time. It's genetics that children look like their parents.

Etc., etc., and have I mentioned the an all powerful god can make dry water, spirits that have physical form, travel through time, and do everything, apparently, except create proof of existence?

But ultimately, I was just quoting you. Using what you submitted as proof against itself. Perhaps there was irony or other meaning I missed?

FreeBird

Post #25

Post by FreeBird »

[Replying to post 24 by Willum]
... except create proof of existence?
there was irony or other meaning I missed?
Yeap, you obviously missed something. It's called a pragmatic view of reality.
As for proof of existence; the only existence you've proved is that wild, animated, deceptive, unsound fairy tales are a dime-a-dozen.

I'm not confused about the Abrahamic God, neither are Christians. You clearly know a lot about your own invention of a god who travels through time. I hope he brings enough food and drinks with him and has a reliable porta-potty.

You're either taking too much medication or not enough. Go check with mommy and tell her that Mr. FreeBird said you're wasting his time.

catnip
Guru

Post #26

Post by catnip »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 20 by catnip]
I didn't mention pantheism this go-around, however, the point is well taken.
If god is all powerful, he can be one god or three, three gods or twelve. No limits, correct?
Of course, in the Christiian religion we believe in one, but it is easily seen that we humans could perceive the various aspects of God as individual gods/goddesses.
He can be whatever he needs to be to (presumably) get his message across? To accomplish whatever goals he may have, right? So the general point is something all powerful can have any attributes.
I think "all powerful" is more often misunderstood than the way you have just reflected. The rank and file would probably call what you reflected "omnipresent". Like ourselves, God has a nature and we may not conceive that nature at all well. Yeah, he could have any attributes, but by the same token, we must be careful about what attributes we claim he has. He is not human.
An all powerful entity is certainly not constrained by any words in any book, or by the feeble interpretation of those attempts at descriptions of the indescribable by man. Even those fundamental truths, for example do not necessarily apply, for to one who can murder then resurrect, where is their sin, or dishonesty?
Yep. But I don't think God crucified Jesus. That isn't the scenario written in the Gospels.
So saying god is a spirit, does not remove the possibility of a god having an image. He would be a spirit with a presence. Matthew 19:26-"...with god all things are possible..."
It is also possible that we supply an image in the imagination of our hearts. I perceive God as light--intense light--or, on occassion, as intense blackness surrounded by a light blue horizon or cloud.

The world over, there are beings like what we in the Judeo-Christian tradition call angels that do what angels do. And in each religion believers think they have seen these beings, but in each, the way we describe them differs according to our religious expectations. Hindu angels don't have wings, for example.
I am sorry if you aren't particular about All-Powerful, me either, but it is usually a default of the Christians' god.[
As a Creator of the Universe, I would say God would have to be pretty powerful--certainly something beyond the personal God we wish to claim with our petty little concerns, especially "us against them". I think the descriptive is misunderstood, but I don't make any claims that God can't do anything or apply limitations. Of course, in my practice I dispense with all preconceived notions, emptying my mind to discover what is. I do perceive God as the author and sustainer of life and I perceive the power of love emanating from all living things.

Willum
Savant

Post #27

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 26 by catnip]
I think "all powerful" is more often misunderstood than the way you have just reflected. The rank and file would probably call what you reflected "omnipresent". Like ourselves, God has a nature and we may not conceive that nature at all well. Yeah, he could have any attributes, but by the same token, we must be careful about what attributes we claim he has. He is not human.
I have tried to open this very discussion a few times. Even in "Doctrine." It goes nowhere.

What you are saying is god can be scoped. We may not do it accurately, but you've certainly set down some parameters that could be discussed.

What I don't understand is that if god bred with Mary, why wouldn't Jesus look something like dad? Wouldn't the converse be true?

Frankly I am at a loss to understand why there is such trouble believing god just doesn't look like a man. He walked in the garden, etc..
There is no reason, however, that he had to keep any form for any length of time.

There is certainly more words in the Bible. "In his image..." is the same context as "Thou Shalt not make graven images."

It's all in scripture.

marco
Savant

Post #28

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 22 by Willum]

"God impregnated a girl, presumably two gametes became one cell, one cell, two, multiplied, specialized into muscles, a digestive system, moving bowels, lungs to breath, a heart to pump blood, ..., so, I would presume it is you are, in your own words, confused about the Abrahamic God."

Funny but pointless. The hypostatic union removes any problem regarding Mary's pregnancy. You have a liking for omnipotence - that too would cover any difficulties God might experience with the incarnation.

marco
Savant

Post #29

Post by marco »

Do humans look like God? Perhaps we should reverse the question. The God of the Old Testament displays all the tantrums and tempers of a man, particularly an old nomad. It is more likely that the God who laughed and slapped Satan's shoulders as they bullied Job is the creation of imperfect humans. Voltaire got it right.

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #30

Post by Ancient of Years »

marco wrote: Do humans look like God? Perhaps we should reverse the question. The God of the Old Testament displays all the tantrums and tempers of a man, particularly an old nomad. It is more likely that the God who laughed and slapped Satan's shoulders as they bullied Job is the creation of imperfect humans. Voltaire got it right.
I presume you mean Si Dieu nous a faits à son image, nous le lui avons bien rendu.

My favorite is Qui est en droit de vous rendre absurde est en droit de vous rendre injuste.
(The English translation misses the intimate grammatical linkage.)
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake