Do most Catholics agree with the current pope?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Do most Catholics agree with the current pope?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Do most Catholics agree with the current pope?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

I'm not Catholic but I think that they must as he is the leader of their church.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

I'm not a Catholic anymore, but I still know some who are. I can definitely say not all Catholics agree with the new pope. The new pope is not 'fundamentalist' or 'conservative' enough for some. All this openness and love towards others who are either 'sinning' or 'not Catholic' has really rankled some of the firmly entrenched.

I actually find this pope refreshing and a far better 'spokesperson of Christ' (as I would imagine such a person to strive to be) than any other pope or Catholic I've ever seen.

In many ways it seems this pope is facing much the same criticism as Jesus is said to have faced. It's ironic, amusing, and mind boggling all at the same time watching it happen.

I wish this pope well in trying to bend his followers to an actual life of love rather than being concerned with following entrenched positions or personal interpretations of long dead, anonymous authors.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Wootah]

Agree with him about what?

And why is this in the political section?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 3 by benchwarmer]
I wish this pope well in trying to bend his followers to an actual life of love rather than being concerned with following entrenched positions or personal interpretations of long dead, anonymous authors.
Am I assuming you are claiming Catholics do not live an actual life of love? Could you possibly give an example? That's quite a prejudiced sweeping comment.

As for being entrenched in 'personal interpretations'? Doesn't that actually describe every other religion? Most Christian religions do not believe in an authoritative Church, rather they believe the Bible is our only authority which then leaves everything up to 'personal interpretation' with no audible earthly infalible guide to insure we are getting it right.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #6

Post by benchwarmer »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to post 3 by benchwarmer]
Am I assuming you are claiming Catholics do not live an actual life of love?
No, you assumed wrong. I was trying to point out that, much like Jesus is said to have done, this pope seems more concerned with actually trying to love others rather than gripping tightly to church tradition and rules written in a book. In other words, actual loving action should always win regardless of whatever rules you've been told to follow.

Often times it seems clear what the loving thing to do is, but if it goes against church tradition or some rule you've interpreted out of your holy book, love sometimes loses.

Example: Church tradition and the Bible say you shouldn't do work on the Sabbath. Now let's say your neighbor has a tree collapse on his home and there's a hole in the roof. Do you say "Sorry, we'll clean this up on Monday" or do you immediately pitch in and do whatever work is necessary to get your neighbor back on his feet regardless of what day this happened?
RightReason wrote: As for being entrenched in 'personal interpretations'? Doesn't that actually describe every other religion? Most Christian religions do not believe in an authoritative Church, rather they believe the Bible is our only authority which then leaves everything up to 'personal interpretation' with no audible earthly infalible guide to insure we are getting it right.
My point was that when some Catholics get rankled at what the pope is saying, they will run to their Bibles and start interpreting things to prove why they are right and the pope is wrong.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to benchwarmer]
No, you assumed wrong
Did I?
I was trying to point out that, much like Jesus is said to have done, this pope seems more concerned with actually trying to love others rather than gripping tightly to church tradition and rules written in a book. In other words, actual loving action should always win regardless of whatever rules you've been told to follow.
I think you, like many, do not understand that neither Sacred Tradition or Sacred Scripture (rules written in a book) contradict love. “The rules� don’t trump love. “The rules� allow it.
Example: Church tradition and the Bible say you shouldn't do work on the Sabbath. Now let's say your neighbor has a tree collapse on his home and there's a hole in the roof. Do you say "Sorry, we'll clean this up on Monday" or do you immediately pitch in and do whatever work is necessary to get your neighbor back on his feet regardless of what day this happened?
I don’t know a Catholic who would tell his neighbor to wait until Monday, because the Catholic would know that not helping is not what “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath� means. The Catholic Church has never taught otherwise. The Church has always recognized the meaning of keeping the Sabbath. Have you read Scripture? Jesus gets rebuked for curing the sick on the Sabbath. The point of that Scripture was to show we are intended to understand the meaning of the law. This is something the Catholic Church teaches. You get that, right?

My point was that when some Catholics get rankled at what the pope is saying, they will run to their Bibles and start interpreting things to prove why they are right and the pope is wrong.
Hmmmmm . . . are you sure you know very many practicing Catholics? Most of the Catholics I know get more rankled at what the culture and others say, then the Pope. And most Catholics I know (and I’m pretty sure the Pope, himself) recognize that their personal interpretation of the Bible is irrelevant. That’s the cool thing about the Catholic Church – we don’t think someone can just pick up the Bible and say it means whatever Tom, Dick, or Harry thinks it means. Thank God.

G.K. Chesterton sums up the beauty of the Catholic Church, “I don’t want a church to be right when I am right. I want a church to be right when I am wrong.�

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #8

Post by benchwarmer »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to benchwarmer]
No, you assumed wrong
Did I?
Yes. You thought I meant one thing, I meant something else. The fact that I wasn't clear enough to be understood in my meaning doesn't make your assumption correct.
RightReason wrote:
I was trying to point out that, much like Jesus is said to have done, this pope seems more concerned with actually trying to love others rather than gripping tightly to church tradition and rules written in a book. In other words, actual loving action should always win regardless of whatever rules you've been told to follow.
I think you, like many, do not understand that neither Sacred Tradition or Sacred Scripture (rules written in a book) contradict love. “The rules� don’t trump love. “The rules� allow it.
Yes, that's the easy out. The rules define love. Any other definition is wrong.
RightReason wrote:
I don’t know a Catholic who would tell his neighbor to wait until Monday, because the Catholic would know that not helping is not what “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath� means. The Catholic Church has never taught otherwise. The Church has always recognized the meaning of keeping the Sabbath. Have you read Scripture? Jesus gets rebuked for curing the sick on the Sabbath. The point of that Scripture was to show we are intended to understand the meaning of the law. This is something the Catholic Church teaches. You get that, right?
Umm, what was my point that started all this? Oh ya, the pope is acting like Jesus and some Catholics are getting mad.

Let me ask you this. As a practicing Catholic, what do you have to do when you miss Mass because you had to spend all day Sunday helping your neighbor clean up the mess (and you didn't go to 5:00pm mass on Saturday). Just shrug your shoulders and go next week? Or perhaps you have to go to confession and explain what happened? Please enlighten us.
RightReason wrote:
Hmmmmm . . . are you sure you know very many practicing Catholics?
I guess the church was filled with non practicing ones. And the ones who kept complaining about the pope all over my facebook feed, which I eventually blocked, weren't practicing ones either. Nope, I guess I don't know very many.
RightReason wrote: Most of the Catholics I know get more rankled at what the culture and others say, then the Pope. And most Catholics I know (and I’m pretty sure the Pope, himself) recognize that their personal interpretation of the Bible is irrelevant. That’s the cool thing about the Catholic Church – we don’t think someone can just pick up the Bible and say it means whatever Tom, Dick, or Harry thinks it means. Thank God.
Right, but when the pope seems to be doing something that goes against the Bible and church tradition? I guess it's just the non practicing Catholics that I've been hearing moan over the pope. Don't get me wrong, they complain about the culture and others as well, but the pope is becoming the new target.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 8 by benchwarmer]
Umm, what was my point that started all this? Oh ya, the pope is acting like Jesus and some Catholics are getting mad.
Are you really that oblivious to the possible bias in your assessment? LOL! First, your Facebook feed isn’t exactly scientific research. Second, you start with the assumption that the Pope is acting like Jesus. Perhaps if someone is unhappy about something he is doing it could be because they actually don’t see his behavior as “Jesus-like� Have you ever thought of that? I have actually seen some argue that abortion is not wrong because Jesus would have had compassion for the women who find themselves in an unplanned pregnancy. They rationalize that their “pro choice� stance is acting how Jesus would. LOL! One can be both compassionate and yet not compromise truth. Third, don’t believe everything you read in the media. Contrary to popular opinion the current Pope did not make any changes in Church teaching, even though the media loves to suggest he has.

Again, if you have something specific you could give as an example regarding the Pope “acting like Jesus� and a large number of Catholics getting mad at this, please do share.

Let me ask you this. As a practicing Catholic, what do you have to do when you miss Mass because you had to spend all day Sunday helping your neighbor clean up the mess (and you didn't go to 5:00pm mass on Saturday). Just shrug your shoulders and go next week? Or perhaps you have to go to confession and explain what happened? Please enlighten us.
Well, the beauty of the Catholic Church is she makes it quite convenient for all her members to fulfill their Sunday mass requirement. Within 10 minutes of my house are at least 5 different churches with varying Sunday mass times, within 20 minutes that number increases to at least 10-15. We have churches less than 15 minute drives that offer 5pm, 7pm, and even a 9pm (college campus near us) Sunday mass. So, it would be quite easy to both be able to help out my neighbor AND not miss mass. However, if there was some emergency, even simply a sick child or something like that, it would not be a sin to miss mass. The Church is simply not nearly as legalistic as many make her out to be.

Right, but when the pope seems to be doing something that goes against the Bible and church tradition?
Again, I will really need an example of what you are referring to. Perhaps you don’t know Scripture or Tradition as well as you think you do.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #10

Post by JP Cusick »

Wootah wrote: Do most Catholics agree with the current pope?
I see the more pertinent question is this = Does God agree or approve of Pope Francis?

My answer to that is YES, Yes, yes.

It surely does not matter to my view whether the Catholics or any one else likes the current Pope or not.

I really can not comprehend the mentality of concern as to whatever the people or the sheep think or do when it only matters what the King of Kings declares or supports.

When we know about the reality of God then that becomes the most important aspect for any equation or determination, IMO.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: