The Supports The Golden Rule User Group.

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

The Supports The Golden Rule User Group.

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

I have created a User Group called "Supports The Golden Rule." The description is as follows:

The "Supports The Golden Rule" user group is for those who feel that almost all of the world's interpersonal problems would be solved if we all just treated each other in the way we would like to be treated ourselves.

Seriously, I don't care if you are the most "pie in the sky" religious fundamentalist, or one of us horrid atheists, who doesn't support the Golden Rule?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: The Supports The Golden Rule User Group.

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by Tired of the Nonsense]

I do not support the Golden Rule (Ethic of Reciprocity) because it requires that everyone be treated as WE want to be treated.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: The Supports The Golden Rule User Group.

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: The "Supports The Golden Rule" user group is for those who feel that almost all of the world's interpersonal problems would be solved if we all just treated each other in the way we would like to be treated ourselves.
How do you figure that?

What if other people don't want to be treated the way you would like to be treated?

Isn't the Golden Rule a bit presumptuous?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #4

Oaky, Z and DI are OUT OF MY GROUP. No soup for you!
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Oaky, Z and DI are OUT OF MY GROUP. No soup for you!
So is that how you would like to be treated? :tongue:

By the way, I don't mind because I just made up some of my own homemade soup.

So there. 8-)

Besides I have my own user groups,

Earthling

And

Lover

There seems to be quite a few Earthlings, but not too many lovers.

I'm waiting for Peds Nurse to join my Lover Group. ;)
[center]Image
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #6

[Replying to post 5 by Divine Insight]
Divine Insight wrote: So is that how you would like to be treated?
Actually, yes. Give the other guy the benefit of the doubt. And if he punches you in the face, punch him back just as hard as you can.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Divine Insight]
Actually, yes. Give the other guy the benefit of the doubt. And if he punches you in the face, punch him back just as hard as you can.
Hmmm? So that's how you use the Golden Rule? To justify retaliating against violence.

How would that make the world a better place? Aren't people reacting violently to violence already?
[center]Image
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #8

Divine Insight wrote:
Hmmm? So that's how you use the Golden Rule? To justify retaliating against violence.

How would that make the world a better place? Aren't people reacting violently to violence already?
I never suggested being a turn the other cheek kind of a guy. Give the other guy the benefit of the doubt, and treat him with the same dignity and respect you would hope to be treated with. If that doesn't work and an butt-kicking becomes necessary, apply said butt-kicking generously. I am getting a bit long in the tooth to be administering butt-kickings these days, but I have been involved in a few in the past.

I understand that not everyone is going to follow the golden rule. When that occurs it becomes necessary to show them the error of their ways.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

I never suggested being a turn the other cheek kind of a guy. Give the other guy the benefit of the doubt, and treat him with the same dignity and respect you would hope to be treated with. If that doesn't work and an butt-kicking becomes necessary, apply said butt-kicking generously. I am getting a bit long in the tooth to be administering butt-kickings these days, but I have been involved in a few in the past.

I understand that not everyone is going to follow the golden rule. When that occurs it becomes necessary to show them the error of their ways.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your philosophy on life. But I do question whether this is the meaning or intention of the Golden Rule.
[center]Image
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #10

[Replying to Divine Insight]
Divine Insight wrote: I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your philosophy on life. But I do question whether this is the meaning or intention of the Golden Rule.
I do not see the golden rule as an invitation to be abused and taken advantage of. Ideally, if everyone would just follow the golden there would be no conflict in the first place. Realistically, miscreants will still need to be dealt with. But one must have a standard to aspire to.