homosexuality is NOT a sin

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Talishi
Guru

Re: homosexuality is NOT a sin

Post #11

Post by Talishi »

bluethread wrote: Another commandment says, "Thou shalt not commit adultery.", and there are penalties for rape. So, by that way of thinking, unending consensual orgies among people who have no marriage commitment are OK? OK, right? I know Paul doesn't like it, but what does he know, right?
You're asking me? Sure it's okay, as long as the gala involves consenting adult humans and/or robots. Leave the kids and puppies out of it.

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

Talishi wrote:
bluethread wrote: Another commandment says, "Thou shalt not commit adultery.", and there are penalties for rape. So, by that way of thinking, unending consensual orgies among people who have no marriage commitment are OK? OK, right? I know Paul doesn't like it, but what does he know, right?
You're asking me? Sure it's okay, as long as the gala involves consenting adult humans and/or robots. Leave the kids and puppies out of it.
Well the commandments don't specifically limit age either. So, according to your way of interpreting the Scriptures, why not kids?

JoeyKnothead
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

bluethread wrote: Well the commandments don't specifically limit age either. So, according to your way of interpreting the Scriptures, why not kids?
Informed consent.

Kids ain't considered mature enough to know all the wherefores and the whatnots of sexual relations.
Some say it came from Memphis down in Tennessee
Or it drifted in from Georgia about 1953
Just as long as it's greasy, as long as it's fast
As long as it's pumpin' honey, it's gonna last

It's the hillbilly rock, beat it with a drum
Playin' them guitars like shootin' from a gun
Keepin' up the rhythm, steady as a clock
Doin' a little thing called the hillbilly rock
- Marty Stuart

JLB32168

Post #14

Post by JLB32168 »

JoeyKnothead wrote:Kids ain't considered mature enough to know all the wherefores and the whatnots of sexual relations.
Lots of twenty-one year olds are as immature as lots of seventeen year olds. Lots of seventeen year olds are as mature as lots of eighteen year olds.

Lots of minors make better parents than lots of adults.

If one wants to interpret the Scriptures in ways based upon the absence of evidence, leaving out common sense inference, then one can get anything out of it.

And of course, all of this presupposes that the Bible is authoritative and that God exists, which are two presuppositions that don’t have to be defended on this board, but are allowed as being Truth™.

bluethread
Savant

Post #15

Post by bluethread »

JoeyKnothead wrote:
bluethread wrote: Well the commandments don't specifically limit age either. So, according to your way of interpreting the Scriptures, why not kids?
Informed consent.

Kids ain't considered mature enough to know all the wherefores and the whatnots of sexual relations.
That was not her argument. Her argument was that if it is not directly forbidden, it is acceptable. There may be reasons why one would or would not accept a particular behavior, but the principle that what is not directly forbidden in detail is acceptable does not hold.

bluethread
Savant

Post #16

Post by bluethread »

JLB32168 wrote:
If one wants to interpret the Scriptures in ways based upon the absence of evidence, leaving out common sense inference, then one can get anything out of it.
I agree with most of your post, but, if I may, I would like to point out that "common sense inference" is a fallacy. There is historical, grammatical and cultural inference, but these things are not common knowledge. They must studied.