Religious freedom

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Religious freedom

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

A woman who belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is allowed to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo due to religious beliefs, the AP reports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /75862946/
A Portland man finally has his driver's license after a nine-month appeal for a religious exemption. The man, who goes by Bishop, wanted to wear a fox hat in order to honor his spirit animal.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... to_id.html

At what point does a society (or should a society) stop allowing religious freedom and start using common sense?
Have we reached this point yet? Or does it need to get worse before we stand up and use common sense in many attributes of society.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Isn't "Religious Freedom" already a discrimination against the freedom to believe just anything simply because a person wants to believe it?

Why should the claim that a "religion" is behind a belief give it any special merit? Especially in a day and age when people are "onto" religions and realize that any claim of a belief in a "Higher Deity" qualifies as "religion".

In Pennsylvania where I live it's basically impossible to legally register and drive a rat rod like the one shown in the photo below:

Shouldn't I be able to claim "Religious Freedom" by appealing to my belief in the Rat Rod Goddess as my excuse to drive a rat rod as my legal vehicle?

I don't see why not? I'm sure an entire religion could quickly be built-up around the Rat Rod Goddess. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Monta
Guru

Re: Religious freedom

Post #3

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 1 by Youkilledkenny]

It appears the legislators do not know what religion is so anything goes.

They should go further and claim tax exemptions.

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: Religious freedom

Post #4

Post by Kenisaw »

Youkilledkenny wrote: A woman who belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is allowed to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo due to religious beliefs, the AP reports.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /75862946/
A Portland man finally has his driver's license after a nine-month appeal for a religious exemption. The man, who goes by Bishop, wanted to wear a fox hat in order to honor his spirit animal.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... to_id.html

At what point does a society (or should a society) stop allowing religious freedom and start using common sense?
Have we reached this point yet? Or does it need to get worse before we stand up and use common sense in many attributes of society.
As long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of another, any action deemed religious by that person should be allowed. It's not hurting anyone if someone wears spaghetti or a fox hat on their head for their license picture. They look moronic in my opinion, but it's their right to be morons...

Donray
Guru

Post #5

Post by Donray »

These are not religious freedom legislation. Christians want legislation to make it legal for Christians to be bigots and racists. Christians want to make it legal for Christians to discriminate and not live under common laws that apply to every one.

Why do all these laws that allow Christians to be bigots don't apply to atheists? I guess atheists are not bigots and only Christians want to be bigots.

So, why don't Christians want atheists to have freedom to be bigots?

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

The real issue is that of government licensing in the first place. As with the marriage license issue, a license is an indulgence from the state to do something that one can usually do anyway without a license. This is an abridgement of freedom. As such, the burden should be on the state to prove that and any other abridgement is warranted. Presuming a picture license to be warranted, the state must prove that the nature of that photo violates the stated purpose, ie identification. What is interesting is that a photograph is one of the less reliable forms of ID, fingerprint, retinal and DNA are much better. Photo ID is just more acceptable to the lemmin ... general public.

Monta
Guru

Post #7

Post by Monta »

Donray wrote: These are not religious freedom legislation. Christians want legislation to make it legal for Christians to be bigots and racists. Christians want to make it legal for Christians to discriminate and not live under common laws that apply to every one.

Why do all these laws that allow Christians to be bigots don't apply to atheists? I guess atheists are not bigots and only Christians want to be bigots.

I really do not know what you are talking about.
Please state which particular laws do Christians want to change in order to be bigots and racists.

Donray
Guru

Post #8

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote:
Donray wrote: These are not religious freedom legislation. Christians want legislation to make it legal for Christians to be bigots and racists. Christians want to make it legal for Christians to discriminate and not live under common laws that apply to every one.

I really do not know what you are talking about.
Please state which particular laws do Christians want to change in order to be bigots and racists.
You should keep up with the news: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/28/us/georgi ... gbt-bills/

Christians want laws so they can be bigots.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and- ... ation.aspx

All these laws allow Christians to be bigots and racists. What would you call a law that allows someone to discriminate against gays?

Monta
Guru

Post #9

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 8 by Donray]

"All these laws allow Christians to be bigots and racists. What would you call a law that allows someone to discriminate against gays?"

I can't read whole articles, which laws exactly concern you?

I don't know the exact wording of 'discriminate against gays' as anything can be seen as discrimination.
Christians, Christian religion, is being discriminated against all the time; it is form of entertainment.

Donray
Guru

Post #10

Post by Donray »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Donray]

"All these laws allow Christians to be bigots and racists. What would you call a law that allows someone to discriminate against gays?"

I can't read whole articles, which laws exactly concern you?

I don't know the exact wording of 'discriminate against gays' as anything can be seen as discrimination.
Christians, Christian religion, is being discriminated against all the time; it is form of entertainment.
Sorry you don't have the capability to read much.

These laws allow Christians to discriminate against gays, other religions, atheists, etc.

Tell me exactly what laws discriminate against Christians?