Is sex really the greatest threat to Christianity?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

tugofwarstrum
Student

Is sex really the greatest threat to Christianity?

Post #1

Post by tugofwarstrum »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/removingth ... istianity/

So my understanding of sex within the compounds of Christianity is it is a very red hot nuke button, but to be the greatest threat I'm not sure of. I would argue that reason is more dangerous because with reason homophobia, racism, sexism, heck even the bible goes out the window. I say this because with sex being a red hot nuke button reason goes out the window as soon as it get's brought up. So my question for you is this, what do you think is the greatest threat to Christianity?

I want to quickly say fear mongering, debunking whether the christian god exists, or trying to edge someone into doing any of the previous is not the goal nor will I tolerate it.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I view Christianity as a dying dragon taking it's last gasps of air. I don't think it has any single greatest threat. I think it has already been mortally wounded and is in the irreversible process of dying.

I believe that Islam is in the same boat only Islam is being taken far more by "surprise" as the Muslims didn't really see this coming. Christians not only saw this coming but have actually been contributed to the death of their own religion for quite a few decades lately, maybe even for a few centuries.

The Protestant movement against the Catholic church could arguably be marked as the start of the demise of Christianity. The Protestantisms have turned against themselves as they have continued to fracture into more and more disagreeing denominations.

Progressive Christians are the ultimate "Death Blow" to Christianity. Especially those who renounce the church, organized religion, and claim to have a "Personal Walk with Jesus". They have already "killed" Christianity as an organized religion.

They believe that they are somehow keeping Jesus afloat as a meaningful demigod, but in truth they aren't. They are actually as "anti-Christianity" as the atheists are.

Jesus is not "Christianity". And neither can he survive as a meaningful demigod without it.

So actually Christianity has "self-destructed". Modern atheists are just poking at the dying dragon wishing it would quit breathing altogether. As they see it, it just has bad breath and still stinks even as a dying dragon.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JLB32168

Re: Is sex really the greatest threat to Christianity?

Post #3

Post by JLB32168 »

tugofwarstrum wrote: So my understanding of sex within the compounds of Christianity is it is a very red hot nuke button, but to be the greatest threat I'm not sure of.
It seems to be a very red hot nuke button for everyone; every magazine on the supermarket rack discusses it at length. The seem very concerned with who’s sleeping with whom and if s/he is gay or not. Religions, therefore, discuss these things in response.

We call it, “Being relevant.�
Divine Insight wrote: I view Christianity as a dying dragon taking it's last gasps of air. I don't think it has any single greatest threat. I think it has already been mortally wounded and is in the irreversible process of dying.
I partially agree with you in concept. The practice of Christianity is dying, but this was foretold millennia ago:

"And then shall many stumble, and shall deliver up one another, and shall hate one another."

"And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold."

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

The fact that Christian practice is dying comes as no surprise to any Christian.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by tugofwarstrum]

Sex is essential to Christianity:

- Go forth and multiply
- one flesh
- marriage
- song of songs

It's hard to not see Christianity as not being on the side of sex.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 4 by Wootah]
I'll grant you that Christianity says a lot about sex, but is it truly on the side of sex when much of it is about regulating sex?

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Wootah]
I'll grant you that Christianity says a lot about sex, but is it truly on the side of sex when much of it is about regulating sex?
Just frame that differently.

Do we have road rules regulating driving because we care or don't care about driving?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 6 by Wootah]

Neither? We don't have road rules because we care about driving. We have them because care about people's safety without undue burden on drivers or pedestrians. I certainly would not come to the conclusion that the government is pro-drivers from looking at road rules.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #8

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by tugofwarstrum]

I wonder how much of the issue is about sex overall, or sex in certain parts of the world/certain societies. How much does one (sex vs. Christianity) feed into each other and how much of that is related to society. Mostly it seems circular: Prudes (for lack of a better term) were taught Christianity which teaches (rather, interrupted by others) a negative aspect of sex, which is in turn compounded by society, etc.
Does the attitude of sex in an Amazon tribe coincide with the attitude in France vs. the attitude in California, for example.
Probably a lot of reasons as I've found most, with Christianity, very little has one, single answer.
I would say just let your belief impact your life and leave others (straight, gay, single mothers, bachelors, whatever) alone.
But alas, that's not what Christianity likes to teach these days.

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Wootah]

Neither? We don't have road rules because we care about driving. We have them because care about people's safety without undue burden on drivers or pedestrians. I certainly would not come to the conclusion that the government is pro-drivers from looking at road rules.
Oh great so we agree - substitute road rules for sex rules. It's about concern for people without undue burden.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Strider324 »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 1 by tugofwarstrum]

Sex is essential to Christianity:

- Go forth and multiply
- one flesh
- marriage
- song of songs

It's hard to not see Christianity as not being on the side of sex.
In that context oxygen, water, food and safety are also essential to Christianity. Where are the hundreds of verses fixated on these essentials, telling us what kind of oxygen intake is OK, and how much is sinful?
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi