Are you a tolorant Christian?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Are you a tolorant Christian?

Post #1

Post by postroad »

Is it right or wrong to do so even if you are certain they are incorrect. Or does correct belief not play into salvation?

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Re: Are you a tolorant Christian?

Post #2

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 1 by postroad]

What do you mean by tolerating? If you mean embracing them...no. If you mean choosing to love, rather than being correct, I would say, yes. This does not mean that if we see someone demeaning or being uncivil to someone in the name of Jesus, that we should remain silent.

Blessings

postroad
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by postroad »

I was thinking about the harsh words Jesus had regarding the Pharisees as well as the dispute between Paul and the Jerusalem based believers including Peter.

Also the dispute between Paul and Barnabas that caused them to split along doctrinal lines.

It seems that correct belief was considered essential to salvation at that time.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

As a young Christian I was very intolerant of views that appeared to go against bible teachings. I got involved in debates with those of other religions, even ones who believed in Jesus and was quite judgmental and attacking. I was anti-catholic, morman, JW, 7th day adventist and many others.

However as I started to think more critically and I started to realise that my views on the bible perhaps weren't always right, I began to soften my stance against many of these other Christian religions. Perhaps we don't know it all? Perhaps we don't have all the answers and maybe sometimes we see things wrongly. It made me more tolerant.

It also set me on the path to Atheism. Once you start considering that maybe your beliefs can be wrong and there may be other ways of looking at things, you can start to question even the most fiercely held beliefs.

Best, if you are a Christian to remain stubborn and unyielding. Keep the arrogant approach and never take anything that violates your own views into consideration. It's the only way you can really stay a Christian. IMHO.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Yahu »

postroad wrote: Is it right or wrong to do so even if you are certain they are incorrect. Or does correct belief not play into salvation?
That would depend on the doctrine. If the doctrine is a false way to salvation, that is a problem. If the doctrine just limits your spiritual growth, that's not as bad but still a problem.

I am far harsher on those that teach doctrines of works based salvation then say someone like a JW that thinks Hell just means 'the grave'. One drives people away from Yah thinking they have to be perfect religiously to be saved while the other just limits understanding of more advanced doctrines that equate to spiritual growth.

No, correct doctrine is not part of salvation (unless the doctrine is a false way to salvation of course). Correct doctrine is one of the errors to overcome that gains rewards in the kingdom for the overcomers. You have to overcome the false doctrines within your own church to gain that reward. It won't effect your salvation but will effect your standing within the eternal kingdom. Who wants to be a poor, blind, naked beggar in the heavenly kingdom? You have to overcome false doctrine to gain in position and glory within the eternal kingdom. One way to earn that glory is to lead others into righteousness. So leading people out of false doctrine carries a reward while teaching false doctrines carries a penalty.

If you don't know what your talking about and just spouting standard denominational positions, you are better off to keep your mouth shut. Spreading false doctrines carries too steep a penalty within the kingdom to make it worth while.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 4 by OnceConvinced]
Best, if you are a Christian to remain stubborn and unyielding. Keep the arrogant approach and never take anything that violates your own views into consideration. It's the only way you can really stay a Christian. IMHO.
Maybe for some. Not for this Christian.

I have changed or modified my views on a number of issues over the years. I am an iron sharpens iron person.

My stand seems to be that I am probably right, and therefore welcome a challenge that will either confirm it or give me new insight.

It is never too late to learn, and never a bad idea to be reminded of what Paul said, that our ability to see is blurred and indistinct, which makes it a series of riddles, an enigma, to us. [that was my paraphrase of 1 Corinthians 13:12a!]

As you said:
Perhaps we don't know it all? Perhaps we don't have all the answers and maybe sometimes we see things wrongly.
It made me more tolerant.
Me too, mostly.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 4 by OnceConvinced]
Maybe for some. Not for this Christian.

I have changed or modified my views on a number of issues over the years. I am an iron sharpens iron person.
But I wonder, do you stay within the bubble? I too as a Christian changed my views many times, but always within the confines of Christianity.

eg, I changed my views on end times teachings.

However if the view violated anything to do with the bible, it quickly got rejected.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 7 by OnceConvinced]
But I wonder, do you stay within the bubble?
Yes, if by "bubble" you mean, remain a theist, remain a Christian.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 7 by OnceConvinced]
But I wonder, do you stay within the bubble?
Yes, if by "bubble" you mean, remain a theist, remain a Christian.
No, I mean by keeping within the confines of the bible. Do you allow yourself to challenge those teachings? Do you ever consider that the bible might be wrong?

That's what I mean by staying in the bubble. As soon as you do that then you are only ever changing your views to other Christian views. Nothing really all that radical.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 9 by OnceConvinced]
Do you ever consider that the bible might be wrong?
Nah, life's too short, most of which I have already lived.

No turning back for me, no future in that.

What I consider to be wrong are the positions taken by atheists, former Christians, and Christians who misunderstand or misuse Bible verses in some way.

But when any I have named do get it right, as I see it, on some issue or Bible passage, I recognise and welcome that truth being expressed.