Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

(Preliminary: this thread is not about "The Bible". It is about an historical situation--i.e. the origins of the early church--i.e. the claimed resurrection. No document will be judged "better" or "more reliable" simply on the grounds that "it's in the Bible". We will use the same thing used in all historical investigations--common sense and historical methodology)

It seems that folks on this thread still do not understand how history is done and what amounts to historical evidence; analogies between N.T. studies and present day courtroom scenes are made— since we cannot cross examine so-called eyewitnesses of the N.T., clearly Christianity is a sham. As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!

As Aristotle pointed out to us, every science yields its own degree of knowledge and to require more is not an indication of the science’s weakness but of your own. History is conducted by analyzing and comparing documents; the degree of knowledge it yields ranges from implausible to beyond reasonable doubt. One can always doubt an historical claim; whether one can do so reasonably is another question. Anybody claiming on a thread entitled “Historical Evidence for the Resurrection� that “eyewitness testimony is not evidence� simply does not know what he is talking about and should refrain from commenting on such threads. There is just no point in debating with such a person on the level of history—stick to geometrical problems.

To reinforce the initial preliminary, I quote DI
The reason that Christianity is a "sham" is because it doesn't merely claim to be history, it claims to be the TRUTH. And it even accuses everyone who refuses to believe in it of having "rejected God" and having chosen evil over good etc.
This is an historical investigation. Please drop all questions about the ancient documents' "divine status"; all assumptions that you know what "Christians believe" or even what "Christianity has believed" about the Bible are to be suspended. We will treat them as we treat Josephus or an anthology of ancient Roman historians.

To begin this thread, I analyze what is probably the earliest Christian creed we have, from 1 Cor. 15. I ask that we do some real, mature history: the kind of history done with all ancient documents.

I care very much for structure, and so here is how I’ve structured my argument: 1) I give the proposition with a defense; 2) I voice a common objection; 3) I meet that objection in a rejoinder; 4) I give my conclusion.

1 Cor 15:1—8: (I have italicized what is probably not part of the original creed—that is, certain phrases which disrupt the rhythm of the Greek, and are “Pauliocentric�. These are most likely editorial or introductory remarks from Paul. I have also emboldened two key words. Everything in plain print I (as well as numerous scholars) believe to be original to the oral tradition.)

Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received,

that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried,
and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5 and that He appeared to Cephas,
then to the twelve.
6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
7 then He appeared to James,
then to all the apostles;
8 and last of all, as it were to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. (1Co 15:1-8 NAS)

Proposition #1 Paul recalls to the Corinthians a list he received of persons whom he claims saw the risen Jesus.

Defense: The two terms in bold are in this context technical terms signifying both the transmission of oral tradition and its reception—Jews highly valued the importance (almost sanctity) of oral tradition; Paul was no different, even when the tradition was regards Jesus and not Torah (Cf. Gal 1:14). The Corinthians received what Paul handed over to them; what Paul handed over to them Paul claims he himself received.

Objection: Paul is lying.

Rejoinder: 1) This is conjecture without any historical warrant: you are just making stuff up. 2) If Paul were lying, he would surely have left out all names, and said that most if not all of the recipients of this encounter were dead. That is how good liars work—leave no room for investigation or keep the circle very, very small. Instead, Paul gives leads for readers to investigate: Peter, James, and just less than 500 whom the Corinthian church could’ve inquired into (i.e. we know they sent him a letter; we know he had visited them). 3) And yet we have no paper trail calling Paul out for a lie. We know that the Corinthian church was not shy of criticizing Paul—yet they never cried out “Liar� regards his list of witnesses. What we do have is at least three independent attestations of one apostle, James (1 Cor, Acts and Josephus). Outside of the Corinthian correspondence we have named apostles who are resident at the letter’s designation (Rom 16:7). People traveled back then more than today; they didn’t have the telephone or the internet; traveling is how information was conveyed—someone somewhere was always traveling with some news. A lie on the level of Paul in 1 Cor. (as well as in other letters where he names apostles) would have exposed him as a sham and the probability of that sham appearing in history is overwhelming--the very fact that Paul's letters continued to circulate as authoritative is evidence that no one called "liar"--and we know from his own letters (GAlatians and Corinthian correspondence) that people were willing to impugn him publicly.
So, 1) We have ZERO paper trail of Paul lying about this list 2) the list itself is vulnerable to investigation—it gives names and is made up of at least 500 individuals.

Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.

Next Question (after hearing reasonable responses): When did Paul receive this creed and from whom? Is there a paper trail of this transmission?
Last edited by liamconnor on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #461

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

Kenisaw wrote: There is no scientific backing for that philosophical exercise, because no one knows if the universe began to exist or how or why it began if it did have a beginning.
I guess that is why there are all of these "pre-bang" models out there. If the universe never began to exist, why would we need any "pre-big bang" models? Where did the oscillating model come from? Or the steady state theory? Or the quantum fluctuating model? Or String theories?

If the universe never began to exist, then why is there a history of cosmologists attempting to get the universe back to an "eternal" state, you know, what it originally was before the discovery of the big bang?

The universe began to exist, Keni. Point blank, period.
Kenisaw wrote: Since cause and effect is a time dependent transaction, and time would not have existed until space began, there is no reason to think a "Cause" as understood in a universe with an arrow of time is needed.
It is called simulatenous causation, and in this context, both time and space began to exist at the exact same point. One did not precede the other, it was simulataneous.
Kenisaw wrote: In addition, the universe is not something from nothing. It is nothing from nothing, which has been repeatedly shown in study after study. You do not need a cause to get nothing from nothing.
Still equivocating nothing, are we?
Kenisaw wrote: That is why cultists have to rely on philosophical arguments , because they require no empirical data or evidence which allows for premises to be baseless. Once they try to debate scientifically, they usually need a spoonful of sugar to make that medicine go down...[/
Actually, with the KCA, we use both philosophical and scientifc evidence to support premise 2, that the universe began to exist.

It is actually the philosophical argument that does more damage to your worldview, unfortunately.

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #462

Post by Inigo Montoya »

[Replying to post 460 by For_The_Kingdom]

The universe began to exist, period..

Well, the universe began to expand, sure. The constituent matter/energy comprising the universe can't be said to have begun to exist, because we simply don't know.

You are confusing the inflation of the universe with the sudden appearance of it. These are two different ideas, and you are abusing both.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Re: Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #463

rikuoamero wrote: In which case, how does one distinguish between various proposed hypotheses of origins, if one does not use empiricism? If I'm not mistaken, one is at that point in a stalemate.
Ok, so based on the 5 things that I mentioned, using whatever empiricism, you like, explain the origins of those 5 things.

Since we both know that you can't, your above question/point becomes invalid.
rikuoamero wrote: What is it you think I'm claiming that I haven't backed up with science? As I said before, I'm careful to make claims and statements ONLY when I can back them up (or when the topic is so unimportant that there's no point to actually digging up the evidence required e.g. there's no point to posting evidence that I once scored a 146 IQ at 9 years old)
Ok, again...using empiricism, back it all up. Same thing as above.
rikuoamero wrote: They're proposed attributes for a theoretical God. Can you provide evidence to show that they're true?
Those are the attributes that are NEEDED to explain the origins of a universe which began to exist. After all, these are the attributes that was "given" to God long before cosmology was even on the radar.

Theists were saying that the universe began to exist long before it was cool to even say such things...and now science has proven what theists were saying for the past 3,000 years.

I will ask again; what can be the cause of space, time, energy, and matter? You tell me.
rikuoamero wrote: We all have a personal standard of morality, you, me, Claire Evans, everyone else.
Yeah, but our standard would be SUBJECTIVE, wouldn't it?
rikuoamero wrote: Besides, it's kinda hypocritical to describe a personal god that nevertheless in your eyes cannot be judged by whatever morality you hold to?
Well, if there is a thing such as objective morality, then there has to be an objective standard that transcends contingent human beings.
rikuoamero wrote: Because it's her standard of morality.
And why should anyone care about her standard of morality? I sure don't.
rikuoamero wrote: God may pass your standard, but he sure as heck fails mine. I know of course that I don't know everything, but everything that I do know and understand tells me that the god creature described in the Bible does not meet my standard of morality, just like Emperor Palpatine, Lord Voldemort or any typical dark lord villain from a fantasy novel does.
Ok. That is your subjective opinion, which you are entitled to. On judgement day, I'm sure you will tell God all about it, and him. LOL.
rikuoamero wrote: If I am wrong, then I'm wrong, but I won't believe that I am wrong unless I am given the pertinent information. The God of the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, acts just like Morgoth from Tolkien's mythos - he has a favoured race, to whom he promises land and riches, he demands worship and is only all too quick to react with extreme violence at the slightest hint of non-compliance.
Just like any parent...obey me and I will act favorably towards you...disobey me, and be punished. Just imagine God as a parent, but on a cosmic scale :D .

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #464

Hey gang,

I am getting ready to make preparations for an up coming debate on here. Plus, I am going to start posting threads relating to the various theistic arguments for the existence of God.

I probably won't be responding to any more posts on here. I have bigger fish to fry :D

Stay tuned.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #465

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 462 by For_The_Kingdom]
I will ask again; what can be the cause of space, time, energy, and matter? You tell me.
This is nothing more than a God of the Gaps, and a false dichotomy. When I inevitably reply back with a "I don't know" to this question, you then insert your god as the answer, and all without any evidence.
Those are the attributes that are NEEDED to explain the origins of a universe which began to exist.
This is nothing more than an assertion on your part. Where is your evidence that shows that universes that begin to exist can only do so if done by an entity with those attributes?
Last I checked, we have only the one universe.

It astonishes me that you honestly think you have solved the grandest mystery of all (or that a bunch of Jews 2,000 years ago did) - the origin of the universe.
Theists were saying that the universe began to exist long before it was cool to even say such things
Without evidence, mind you. Theists also made it uncool to speak about science, at one point - Galileo comes to mind.
Yeah, but our standard would be SUBJECTIVE, wouldn't it?
Yes, and I'm saying yes to that question because that is where the evidence leads. Unlike yourself, who demands that morality be objective, the evidence be damned.
Well, if there is a thing such as objective morality, then there has to be an objective standard that transcends contingent human beings.
We haven't proven the objective morality part yet. Nor that it requires an objective standard that wouldn't simply be Divine Command Theory in disguise.
And why should anyone care about her standard of morality? I sure don't.
Thrown right back at you. Why should anyone care what you claim is objective morality? In my eyes, it looks just like your own subjective opinion of what you believe to objective.
Ok. That is your subjective opinion, which you are entitled to. On judgement day, I'm sure you will tell God all about it, and him. LOL.
Who is 'him'? You say God and 'him' as if there are two separate entities? Anyway, should it come to pass that your god is real and I end up in front of him (something I don't believe) then yes, I will say it. I will say that I hold fast to my standards, that I didn't compromise my standards of evidence and morality to believe in something with insufficient evidence to back it, and to worship what is in my eyes the most evil dark lord ever concocted in all of literature.
If your god actually is kind and loving and all the jazz that you make him out to be...he will forgive me, because that would be the kind thing to do.
If instead he actually IS the dark lord I describe him to be...then I will stand vindicated in never having bent knee to a tyrant.

Do you see the dilemma there? I would only be punished if your god turns out to be as ruthless and evil as my interpretation of the Bible makes him out to be. An actual kind, loving god would not do anything negative to me.
Just like any parent...obey me and I will act favorably towards you...disobey me, and be punished. Just imagine God as a parent, but on a cosmic scale
Parents don't flood planets. Parents don't send plagues. Parents don't send messages through intermediaries saying "Believe I exist, worship me or I'll destroy you!", all the while providing insufficient evidence to justify said belief.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #466

Post by Zzyzx »

For_The_Kingdom wrote: The universe began to exist, Keni. Point blank, period.
“Arguing about the origin of the universe strikes me as comparable to two ants crawling across the sidewalk in front of the WTC rubble and telling each other what happened.� Anonymous

The same goes for origin of life, “infinity�, “the meaning of life�, “creation�, etc. Those who claim to KNOW are blowing smoke. Those who claim to KNOW that Goddidit have been sold a bill of goods (old expression meaning “to get someone to believe something that isn't true; to deceive someone�).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

polonius
Prodigy

Post #467

Post by polonius »

[quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.
RESPONSE:

Not correct. Paul wrote his letter to the Corinthians living 817 miles from Jerusalem. Paul's letter was written about 20-25 years after the fact and he was not a witness to the event.

Are we seriously to believe that such an event happened in Jerusalem under the eyes of the Romans and non-Jews and nobody, including others the 500 "witnesses"would have told, left any written record? And the Jewish authorities and the Romans never conducted any inquiry?

How about instead a fictional report by Paul? Certainly an unsubstantiated one! Are we seriously supposed to build a faith on that? :(

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #468

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to For_The_Kingdom]
For_The_Kingdom wrote: If the universe never began to exist, then why is there a history of cosmologists attempting to get the universe back to an "eternal" state, you know, what it originally was before the discovery of the big bang?

The universe began to exist, Keni. Point blank, period.
You and I began to exist as well. But we are led to understand that a good deal of things were going on prior to our conception, including the events that led to our conception. And the material that became us then, and which makes us up today, already existed prior to our conception and our birth. What evidence can you provide which would establish that this is not true for the universe itself?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Student
Sage
Location: UK - currently dusting shelves 220 - 229, in the John Rylands Library

Post #469

Post by Student »

[Replying to tfvespasianus]Hi TFV,
You certainly know how to spot a can of worms.

Based upon the Loeb edition of the apostolic fathers, the oldest Greek witnesses to the Ignatian epistles of the Middle Recension, are as follows:

Smyrnaeans 3.3 - 12.1 is found in Berlin papyrus 10581 (P), which is dated to the 5th century CE.

Romans is found in Codex Parisiensis-Colbertinus, a 10th or 11th century manuscript.

Ephesians, Magnesians, Trallians, Philadelphians, Smyrnaeans and Polycarp are all found in Codex Mediceo Laurentianus, dated to the 11th century CE.

However, it should be noted that the text of these epistles contain numerous interpolations and variant readings usually excluded from the authentic text. Furthermore, Codex Mediceo Laurentianus includes five letters ascribed to the Long Recension, namely: to Tarses, Philippians, Philadelphians, Antiocheans and to Heron, deacon of the Antiocheans. Consequently it must be observed that the manuscript tradition for many epistles of the Long Recension, is no poorer than for those of the Middle Recension i.e. they can be dated to the 11th century CE.

In fact the epistles of the Middle Recensions do not have a manuscript tradition independent of the other four or five (or however many) epistles that comprise the Long Recension. The only letters that can be rejected on purely textual and historical grounds are those found solely in Latin comprising letters to and from Mary (the Mother of Jesus) and the two letters to the Apostle John.

The text of the Middle Recension recension, is a theoretical construct; it is not based on any textual witness but was recovered / reconstructed by Bishop Usher from two Latin texts (one of which is now lost) of the mid 15th Century.

Finally we come to the Short Recension. In 1845 William Cureton published three manuscripts in Syriac. The first of these, containing the epistle to Polycarp he dated to the first half of the 6th century CE. The other two, containing Polycarp, Ephesians and Romans, he dated to the 7th - 8th century CE*. These three epistles have been designated as the Short Recension.

Cureton's recension was vigerously opposed by Lightfoot, who, in 1885, reaffirmed what it now the consensus, that there are seven genuine letters.

*[Cureton's dating of the latter two manuscripts was later challenged in 1870-72 by W. Wright, who assigned them to a date in the 10th century CE.]
In religion and politics, people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
Mark Twain

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

tfvespasianus
Sage

Post #470

Post by tfvespasianus »

[Replying to Student]

Student,

Stellar information as always. Thank you. I intend to pick up the Loeb edition as soon as I can get rid of a few more books (heresy, I know).

In any case, the state of the MSS is even more poor than I had thought. In fact, I think the reliability of the so-designated ‘lucky seven’ is a stretch in that we would have to put aside questions of interpolation and their coexistence among obvious (at least obvious now) pious frauds and then consider an interpretation of the internal evidence.

I appreciate the work you did on this question even if it seems we won’t be kicking around the question of whether the Ignatian epistles are solid evidence for the existence of canonical Luke cira 108 ad. I had never heard that apologetic before and I has suspicions as to why…

Take care,
TFV