Bathroom police really?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

playhavock
Guru

Bathroom police really?

Post #1

Post by playhavock »

Do people really LIKE the bathroom laws that are being put into place? Anyone feel better now? I mean, seriously people - REALLY?! WHY IS THIS A THING?

bluethread
Savant

Post #51

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
bluethread wrote: However, unless you are suggesting that public restrooms and showers be outlawed, the "civil rights" argument is going to place even market driven facilities into this same problem.
I don't see why they would need to be outlawed in general. However, if people want to provide public restrooms or showers why should the state make laws about who can legally use them? :-k
It was the transgendered that brought this up because they were being denied access to the bathroom of their choice. They want the state to make laws about who can legally use restrooms. They just don't like the rules that some jurisdictions came up with.
In the case of state or federal funded facilities it could be mandatory that no public restrooms or showers be constructed. After all, if the state is funding these projects they can mandate whatever like want in terms of what facilities need to be built into these buildings.

While doing the memorial walk in DC this summer, I was very grateful for federal funded facilities.
Private schools and organizations can do whatever they want, but then like I said above, why should the state make laws about who can legally use their public restrooms or showers?
Good, I am glad we agree that private facilities can restrict access however they please. However, how about privately owned public facilities, i.e. in Washington State and business, open to the public,with a table and chairs, must provide public facilities. Is that government overreach?If not who gets to decide on the rules of access?
I think moving toward private facilities is way overdue. This is something I would have supported the very first time I was forced to use public facilities in schools. I never did care for public showers, even when I'm showering with other people of my own sex.
Oh, you mean facilities that provide individual privacy, not private or ownership. If you are right about the ability to construct them at no additional cost, I suggest you patent that process and start a company to do so. You will make a fortune.
Back when I was a kid I never even considered the option of refusing to use public facilities. I wasn't mature enough at that time to realize that I could even complain about. In fact, back in those days (the 50's and 60's) kids pretty much had to do whatever the authorities told them to do. If you complained about anything you were seen as being rebellious and refusing to obey authority figures.

Also, in the 60's there was the whole "Hippy movement" with "Make Love not war" being the anti-Vietnam chant, and so being openly sexual was something we saw on the news pretty much every night. Complaining about public shared restrooms or showers in that era would have been laughed at.

Even the women were burning their bras and going topless to protest against male chauvinism and stand up for women's right.

What the heck, if women are exposing their breasts on the street how could it hurt to take a shower with them? :D
You are all over the map here. First, it appears that you are arguing for facilities that provide for individual privacy. Now you seem to be saying that the need for individual privacy is bunk. The current situation tries balance individual privacy with reasonable access. The problem is that some people want absolute privacy and some want unfettered access. We can't do both,unless there are multiple facilities. If there are multiple facilities,who gets to decide the access to each of those facilities?