What If...?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

theStudent
Guru

What If...?

Post #1

Post by theStudent »

Currently, I am doing what was suggested by some on these forums.
I am researching information both for, and against evolution, and trust me - I am doing so objectively.
While I am still researching, I want to put this out, to hear the different views on it.

During my research I discovered that lately, just over the last decade or so, a lot of informations has been surfacing about fake fossils.
In fact it has now become common place for fossils sold at museums to be checked for genuineness.
I find this interesting.

Why now, is this happening?
Could it be that evidence as it always does, is now surfacing?

For example
Remember the dinosaur hoax - the one that was said to be put together using different bones?
It has recently been found out that it wasn't a hoax after all.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/02/ ... ecies.html

That is quite interesting.

The fossils aren't the only things that were/are claimed to be fake.
There are the drawings, and pictures as well.
Right now, I am going through a very long document considered a case against some of Darwins picture illustrations.
But have you ever come across this one?

Pictures from the past powerfully shape current views of the world. In books, television programs, and websites, new images appear alongside others that have survived from decades ago. Among the most famous are drawings of embryos by the Darwinist Ernst Haeckel in which humans and other vertebrates begin identical, then diverge toward their adult forms. But these icons of evolution are notorious, too: soon after their publication in 1868, a colleague alleged fraud, and Haeckel’s many enemies have repeated the charge ever since. His embryos nevertheless became a textbook staple until, in 1997, a biologist accused him again, and creationist advocates of intelligent design forced his figures out. How could the most controversial pictures in the history of science have become some of the most widely seen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Haeckel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Haec ... eks4-6.jpg
English: The pictures illustrate Ernst Haeckel's biogenetic law. In the beginning embryos of different species look remarkable similar, later different characteristics develop. The images initiated controversies and charges of fraud.

All of this lends to a possibility.
Consdering the fact that fossils can be faked, we must accept the fact that Darwin, and other scientists could have lied.

My question here, isn't whether he did lie or not, but rather, Does this not place evolutionists in the same position as the Christians they claim are believing in fables?

Consider:
Christians accept the Bible, as the word of God.
Here are just a few facts about the Bible.
With estimated total sales of over 5 billion copies, the Bible is widely considered to be the best-selling book of all time.
It has estimated annual sales of 100 million copies.
It has been a major influence on literature and history, especially in the West where the Gutenberg Bible was the first mass-printed book.
It was the first book ever printed using movable type.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible

Archaeological findings of the Dead Sea Scrolls, also called the Qumran Caves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

The evidence is there however, that the book we hold in our hand today (the Bible), contains information written centuries ago.

Atheist call the book fables - the reason I have yet to find out.
Maybe one of the reasons is that they have not seen God, or seen him write any book - whatever.
So they claim that Christians' belief in them and what they present is blind faith, and belief in stories.

However, is this not the case with those who accept the theory of evolution, where all they have to go by, is what scientists claim to be evidence?

By the way...
No one, to this day have seen them recreate the theories.
Any data they give you on species, is usually what already existed (at least what I have come across so far).
As regards other claims, all we have are pictures, and claimed fossils, which could have been edited.

So evolutionists are really believing what men claim - without any substantial proof of their claim.
How is this different to believing a book?

And what if Darwin, and others lied?

I'm just interested in you different opinions and thoughts, on the above.
Here is a nice short video of someone's opinion. Reasonable too.
John 8:32
. . .the truth will set you free.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: What If...?

Post #21

Post by Divine Insight »

theStudent wrote: When it comes to evolution, however - let me first give my personal opinion.
I think when some people get to a certain level of education, they think that they have a big advantage over "less educated" or "common" people.
Well educated people do have an advantage over less educated people when it comes to understanding things like physics, chemistry and biology, etc.
theStudent wrote: So they feel they can use terminology that they believe people will not understand, or even misunderstand. And they feel this gives them the advantage, because they can twist or bend these fancy words to deceive or confuse people.
This sounds like paranoia to me. Why would you assume that educated people are out to deceive you? :-k

Educated people are most likely trying to help you understand things that you are clearly having difficulty with. Clearly you have difficulty understanding why evolution makes perfect sense.
theStudent wrote: But they fail to realize one thing - We don't live in the dark ages no more. We live in an age where knowledge is available to the youngest child, who can read.
Well, I only looked at the first video you posted a link to because I don't have all day to spend on your post. However, I would suggest that if you are truly interested in understanding evolution you would be far better off taking some serious biology and chemistry courses. Then you could become a well-educated person yourself and stop being paranoid about your imagined motivations of educated people.

theStudent wrote: Here is what I get in a nutshell on evolution being responsible for life on earth.
(I'm not interested in the evolution that involves adaption - this is evident even in what we know as our immune system. We understand adaptation.)

All life on earth may have originated from a common ancestor.
That common ancestor - chemistry, or chemical reaction.
Where did this chemistry come from? Probably outer space.
A living cell somehow made it through the turbulent atmosphere and survived to reach earth and survive in that atmosphere as well.
And get this - the common ancestor that gave life to all life on earth, is a four footed land animal, but where did the chemical reaction take place? In water.
This demonstrates your lack of education in this area. To begin with Biological Evolution does not cover Abiogenesis. A-biogenensis refers to the genesis of life "before biology". This would be a process of Chemical Evolution, and not Genetic Evolution. To get a feel for what this would entail would require an education in Chemistry. Chemistry is considered one of the toughest scientific subjects to study. It requires a knowledge of physics, mathematics, and if you are interested in abiogenesis it also requires some knowledge of basic biology.

This is not something you are going to learn very well from just watching a few videos on the web.

Our "common ancestor" would have been a single-cell organism that arose naturally from chemical processes due to the effects of entropy. Yes, that's right. Most under-educated people believe that entropy actually states that everything is headed to a state of disorder, but this isn't at all true. To the contrary, that is only the case when no energy is being added to the system. Actually when energy is being added to a system entropy demands that precisely the opposite happens: Things tend to become more highly ordered. And this is precisely the situation we have on planet earth with the sun adding energy to the Earth. This drives chemistry to create complex structures.

So it's actually totally within our understanding of physics that complex structures should arise on planet earth. Abiogenesis (the creation of biological life) is well within the principles of physics or the "laws of nature" if you like.

So the idea that "life" had to have come from somewhere extraterrestrial is simple not required.
theStudent wrote: All guess work - unreliable guess work. And they are still guessing.
I can come up with a theory, and then try to fit what is evident around me to my theory.
Someone asked what I consider to be two reasonable questions.
If all life on earth originated from a common ancestor
1. What do humans and plants have in common in order to say that they are related?
Molecular Biology and DNA sequences.
theStudent wrote: 2. How did humans develop morals - which is clearly lacking in animals, and plants?
Wow!
I could actually imaging a teenager without a degree asking such questions.
The human subjective idea of morality arises naturally with sentience. It's a natural thing for any sentient being to subjectively invent. So the emergence of sentience explains subjective morality entirely. And because humans are a socially dependent species our subjective morality becomes "objective" with respect to our species as a whole. It's still clearly subjective though. How many humans would think we should give precedence over say the life of an Ape, versus the life of a human? Obviously there are some animals rights fanatics that might actually give the life of an Ape more value than the life of "some humans". :D

But overall, most humans would say that it's moral to kill an ape, but not moral to kill a human. You see, this is Subjective Morality with respect to the Human Species in general. Although we could say that this sense of morality is "Objective with respect to Humans". In other words, humans created this sense of morality and it's clearly patterned after their own desire for the survival and welfare of their own species.

So human morality is entirely "subjective" to the human species. And we should expect this in any sentient species. If Apes were sentient they too would develop moral values as well. And just like Humans, Apes would feel that its more important to protect the life of other apes than it is to protect the life of a Human.

You say,
theStudent wrote: I could actually imaging a teenager without a degree asking such questions.
I would hope that even a teenager without a degree could understand the answers I just gave. :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #22

Post by Divine Insight »

theStudent wrote: The choices are ours to make.
Each one has decided on their faith.
Evolution - a faith in scientific theories.
Creation - a faith in a creator, as is represeted in the Bible.
This is the fallacy of your position in a nutshell. You attempt to make out like an understanding of evolution is based on nothing other than "faith" thus attempting to REDUCE the science of evolution to have no more merit than your faith-based religious views.

This is your attempt to place religion on a level-playing-field with science. That's absolute baloney right there, and to use the point you previously made, even a teenager who has no degree should be able to see the fallacy of your argument here.

Also, why would a "Creationist" place their faith in the Biblical picture of God? :-k

There are many other religions out there that claim to have "Creator Gods", why bother with the Biblical God?

Also, since you are just shooting blindly from the hip proclaiming EVERYTHING to be nothing more than "Faith" in an effort to put everything on a level playing field, then how could you possibly object to Muslim Fundamental Extremists who place their FAITH in Islam and the Qur'an?

You couldn't object to them at all. You would necessarily need to give them your seal of approval for their "faith-based" beliefs.

In fact, even if you place those that you call "Evolutionists" on your "level-playing-field" then you still couldn't say anything against them placing their faith in evolution. What would be wrong with that? :-k

Once you claim that FAITH is a level playing field then faith in anything has precisely the same merit as faith in anything else.

By trying to bring science down to the level of your faith-based religion all you end up doing is pulling the rug out from under everything, including your own religion. Even your religion wouldn't have any special merit on this level playing field.

~~~~~

Finally, you mentioned morality in your previous post wondering how morality could evolve. I explained that humans have created their own subjective morality. We place human life ABOVE the lives of other non-sentient animals.

We could even claim that we place more value on sentience than on non-sentient life. And humans are the only animals we know of that are truly sentient, at least in obvious ways at our level of sentience.

However, if that would be WRONG. Human have historically treated other human cultures as being of lesser value than member of their own cultures. We have even come to refer to this as "Race".

Even the Biblical God that you keep referring to has condoned slavery of sentient humans of other cultures. He has condoned the mass genocide of other sentient humans by his "favored people". The Bible was used to support racism and black slavery in the American South.

Why in the world would you point to the Bible if you are interested in morality? The Bible has no copyright on morality. To the contrary its filled with immorality condoned by its very God.

The God you are supporting is not even a moral God.

Evolution explains morality far better than the Bible does. We have even culturally evolved to have far better morality that the people who actually wrote the Bible. In short, if the Bible were truly the "Word of God", then we have evolved to have higher moral values than our very creator. Because we no longer support slavery, and the taking of virgin girls as sex slaves during wars. The Bible actually represents what we consider today to be extreme immorality

So pointing to the Bible as a rational alternative to evolution is simply nonsense.

~~~~~

Edited to Add: Even teenagers who don't have a degree are recognizing what I have just stated above to be the TRUTH of reality. And this is why the millennials are leaving religion in DROVES.
[center]Image
[/center]

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #23

Post by Kenisaw »

theStudent wrote:
Evolutionists
A person who believes in organic evolution

Evolutionism
(biology) a scientific theory of the origin of species of plants and animals
I would suggest that a definition of the theory of evolution is the change in inheritable characteristics of groups of animals over given time periods. To say "origins" might make some people thing abiogenesis is included in there, which it isn't.
When it comes to evolution, however - let me first give my personal opinion. I think when some people get to a certain level of education, they think that they have a big advantage over "less educated" or "common" people.
So they feel they can use terminology that they believe people will not understand, or even misunderstand. And they feel this gives them the advantage, because they can twist or bend these fancy words to deceive or confuse people.
But they fail to realize one thing - We don't live in the dark ages no more. We live in an age where knowledge is available to the youngest child, who can read.
Then why are so many believers so busy asking questions that they could be answering themselves? Why are believers constantly confusing evolution with abiogenesis? While I agree that everyone is going to be at different knowledge levels about ANY topic of discussion at this or any other website, I also know that anyone can increase their knowledge if they really desire to.
I have all the written information on evolution I think possible to find on the internet.
I've collect all the definitions to the fancy terms as well.
I can use these, if that's preffered.
However, I find video, easier to watch, and these ones I find are explained in a simple "down to earth way" not above your head scientific terms.
I apologize if this is out of line, but I don't believe that claim. You didn't even bother to look up see if blood clotting evolution has been studied before asking "what about that proves that evolution was responsible", and now you want to tell us you have all the written info possible, and know all the "fancy" terms". Ugh.
Here is what I get in a nutshell on evolution being responsible for life on earth.
(I'm not interested in the evolution that involves adaption - this is evident even in what we know as our immune system. We understand adaptation.)
Let me stop you right there. You immune system does not evolve. Yes it does CHANGE, adding information as you encounter more and different infections in your life. That does not get passed down from generation to generation though, and is not inheritable. That's why we all have to go through the same illnesses as our parents did.
All life on earth may have originated from a common ancestor.
That common ancestor - chemistry, or chemical reaction.
Where did this chemistry come from? Probably outer space.
A living cell somehow made it through the turbulent atmosphere and survived to reach earth and survive in that atmosphere as well.
And get this - the common ancestor that gave life to all life on earth, is a four footed land animal, but where did the chemical reaction take place? In water.
No, a living cell probably did not come to Earth through the atmosphere. The components for the first protobiont quite possibly did, as amino acids and sugars and alcohols and other complex carbon molecules, which can and do exist in deep space on objects, some of which fall to Earth. These things got together probably in the water, and probably near thermal vents. Since this is NOT evolution however, but abiogenesis, let's move on...

The common ancestor to all life on Earth is a four footed animal? You sure you have all the written information one can find on the internet about evolution??? No one states that anywhere.
All guess work - unreliable guess work. And they are still guessing.
I can come up with a theory, and then try to fit what is evident around me to my theory.
Someone asked what I consider to be two reasonable questions.
If all life on earth originated from a common ancestor
1. What do humans and plants have in common in order to say that they are related?
2. How did humans develop morals - which is clearly lacking in animals, and plants?
Wow!
I could actually imaging a teenager without a degree asking such questions.
There is no guesswork about the theory of evolution, which for the hundreth time you are merging with the theory of abiogenesis (how life began). Abiogenesis is definitely at a working stage. The scientific theory of evolution is as solid as it gets in science.

For question 1: Look it up yourself. I thought you already had all the written information for evolution, right? Then why can't you answer that yourself? Hmmm...

For question 2: Look it up yourself. I thought you already had all the written information for evolution, right? Then why can't you answer that yourself? Hmmm...

And before you suggest otherwise, I do know the answers to that. But it's time to stop spoon feeding you and see if you can walk on your own...
Conclusion:
They have not found out, how life came into existence.
That is a fact.
Which is not the theory of evolution. It's ridiculous how many times you have made this mistake.
Yet persons here are telling me that the evidence is there.
What evidence?
For which theory? I can't even tell which one you want to discuss anymore...
That every living thing produces according to it's kind?
I know little children who already know that, and they did not learn it from science.
I thought you had all the written material that is out there on the internet about the theory of evolution. If that is true that you can certainly understand that a species isn't born from another species in just one generation...right?
The Bible said it.
When God told Noah to take two of every animal into the ark, what could one possibly think he was doing - make manure?
No.
Genesis 7:2, 3
. . .the male and its mate; and of every animal that is not clean just two, the male and its mate; also of the flying creatures of the sky by sevens, male and female, to preserve their offspring alive over all the earth.
The Bible also said plants came before the Sun. It said man came after the animals and then said man came before the animals. This is the document you want to use to support your claims?

By the way, which member of Noah's family got to carry the human diseases? Gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, chlamydia, HPV, yellow fever, hepatitis (all of them), rubella, whooping cough....just to name a few. Who was it?
Evoluton, which is being challenged, has nothing to do with how living things function. They function because their designer made them to function, in the way they do.
Evolution that is being challenged is
the theory that the first living organism developed from lifeless matter. Then, as it reproduced, it is said, it changed into different kinds of living things, ultimately producing all forms of plant and animal life that have ever existed on this earth. All of this is said to have been accomplished without the supernatural intervention of a Creator.
It doesn't seem possible that someone could mix up two different scientific theories after all the times it has been explained to them in other threads that they are mixing up two different scientific theories when they say evolution and "the first living organism developed from lifeless matter" in the same sentence. Yet here it is, in black and white for all to see. I'm sorry, I don't know how to explain it any better than I have. Perhaps someone else can help out...

In the mean time, I've repeatedly asked you for even one piece of evidence for a creative being, and you've yet to produce the goods. Time to pony up...
the theory in biology postulating that the various types of plants, animals, and other living things on Earth have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations. The theory of evolution is one of the fundamental keystones of modern biological theory.
A theory that I cleary stated was not proven to be factual, but yes is considered factual, even though those who promote it use such terms as, possibly, may have, are not certain.
And the research I have done now has not changed that.
It has only verified it.
Yes you've clearly stated it. What you haven't done is shown that you've even looked at any of the data or evidence for the theory of evolution. Not surprising, since you haven't even shown you understand what the theory states. But you've "done research" on a theory that you keep mixing with another separate theory. You've found all the "written" material available on the internet though.

Sorry to call you out like this, but it isn't going to help you out by sugar coating the rather flagrant mistakes you keep making in regards to this topic...
Evolution has not provided any evidence for the origin of life on earth.
I would wholeheartedly agree. Since evolution has nothing to say about the origin of life on Earth, that statement only makes sense.
Take this one for example:
Miller–Urey experiment
it was conducted in 1952 by Stanley Miller, with assistance from Harold Urey, at the University of Chicago and later the University of California, San Diego and published the following year.
After Miller's death in 2007, scientists examining sealed vials preserved from the original experiments were able to show that there were actually well over 20 different amino acids produced in Miller's original experiments. That is considerably more than what Miller originally reported, and more than the 20 that naturally occur in life. More-recent evidence suggests that Earth's original atmosphere might have had a different composition from the gas used in the Miller experiment. But prebiotic experiments continue to produce racemic mixtures of simple to complex compounds under varying conditions.
Not evolution.
Does this make sense to you?
55 years!
A whole 55 years to discover that the experiment produced more than the 10 amino acids produced in Miller's experiment.
In fact, according to those who made the discovery 55 years later, the amino acids were little above the amount needed for life (20).
Well, of course, after running a few more experiments, and putting in just what is needed, it is possible to get it right after 55 years.

But did they mention that those amino acids still did not meet the requirements for life, even if they were 100 of them?
No. Of course, they left that part out.
How could they ever accomplish this?
In real life, nearly all amino acids found in proteins are left handed, almost all polymers of carbohydrates are right handed, and the opposite type can be toxic to the cell.
In Miller's experiment, equal quantities of both right- and left-handed organic molecules always were produced.

Now why would that piece of information be so important?
Life cannot exist, if they don't get it right.
And that is just one of the hundreds of problems evolution has failed to solve.
Not evolution.
No wonder Fred Hoyle, English astronomer, cosmologist, and mathematician, compares the likelihood of life appearing on Earth by chemical reactions "as equivalent to the possibility that a tornado sweeping through a junkyard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein".
Not evolution.
It's the same story with the big-bang theory.
http://www.britannica.com/topic/big-bang-model
The big-bang model is based on two assumptions.
Awesome! Why stop at mixing two separate scientific theories in one post. You've added a third, unrelated topic to stir in with the first two. Well done you.
Thanks guys I have done (and I am not finished all) the research.
If the above information in the videos is wrong, please let me know.

However, the fact remains, believing in scientific theories is still a matter of faith in what another says, without substantial evidence.
It also takes faith to believe that life on earth originated by pure chance, and without having any substantial evidence.
I don't know what you've been doing this whole time, but it isn't learning and researching about the theory of evolution...

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #24

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by theStudent]

I hope this isn't off topic, but can I ask why you seem to need evolution to be a lie? What if after all your research you conclude that evolution is a real thing? Will this change your belief in the existence of a God? If there is a God, maybe evolution is part of the design.

I don't understand theists who constantly rail against science. One would think that understanding as much as possible about the universe would only bring them closer to understanding their God.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #25

Post by Divine Insight »

benchwarmer wrote: [Replying to post 1 by theStudent]

I hope this isn't off topic, but can I ask why you seem to need evolution to be a lie? What if after all your research you conclude that evolution is a real thing? Will this change your belief in the existence of a God? If there is a God, maybe evolution is part of the design.

I don't understand theists who constantly rail against science. One would think that understanding as much as possible about the universe would only bring them closer to understanding their God.
I agree. A far stronger theological argument would be to accept that if there is a God then God used evolution to create life. The Catholic Church has already embraced this approach and doesn't seem to have suffered for it at all. If anything they have gained respect for having done it.

Also theStudent's attempt to "bring science down" to a faith-based status in an effort to place it on a level playing field with religion does nothing to elevate the religion. To the contrary, if religion and science are BOTH equally faith-based then it wouldn't matter which one a person chose to place their faith in. :D

Placing faith in either one would necessarily be equally rational, reasonable, and respectable.

And far more important than this, is that once the argument is made that everything is "faith-based" then this also places all religions on precisely the same level playing ground. Therefore a Christian could hardly say anything negative toward Fundamentalist Muslims, or Islam, etc.

If everything is "Faith-based" then all beliefs and religions are on precisely equal ground. A Christian could not only not object to a Muslim, or a Buddhist, or a Hindu, or a Scientist, but a Christian couldn't even object to an Atheist either.

The argument that everything is "faith-based" actually backfires in the worst way. All it does is proclaim that everything is a GUESS and it doesn't really matter which guess anyone makes since all guesses are on precisely EQUAL faith-based ground.

It's a lose-lose argument that results in nothing more than demanding that everything is faith-based and that NOTHING can actually be known with any degree of knowledge or understanding.

How would this help the Bible? It wouldn't.

It doesn't help the Bible at all. All it does is bring science down to the meaningless level of pure faith-based religion.

And if a person had decent reasons to believe in their religion, then they would be far better off trying to argue for those reasons rather than taking a stab and trying to belittle science.

The mere fact that "belittling science" is the thrust of the argument here speaks volumes of how there is actually no rational support for this religion at all. Because if there were any rational support for the religion it wouldn't be necessary to belittle science. Instead of focusing on belittling science he could just present a positive case for his religion. Clearly he doesn't have a valid argument for the religion thus the only option left is to try to belittle science.

This is like trying to scrape at the bottom of a theological barrel whose bottom has already been completely scraped off. There's nothing left to scrape at now but science. Theology clearly has nothing left to offer. The Catholics knew better than to take that path.

When the Catholics hit the bottom of the theological barrel they found science. :D
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #26

Post by Divine Insight »

Kenisaw wrote:
theStudent wrote: And get this - the common ancestor that gave life to all life on earth, is a four footed land animal, but where did the chemical reaction take place? In water.
The common ancestor to all life on Earth is a four footed animal? You sure you have all the written information one can find on the internet about evolution??? No one states that anywhere.
Exactly. And if theStudent claims to have all the information one can find on the internet about evolution then why would he think that anyone is more educated on evolution than he is? And how could anyone possible use "big words" or scientific jargon that he isn't already well-familiar with?

I don't even claim to have "all the information one can find on the internet about evolution". That would be one WHALE of a lot of information. I'm quite sure that there are many studies, findings, and evidence for evolution that I've never even seen. I don't need to see it all to realize that the evidence for it is already overwhelming.

Also theStudent has demonstrated repeatedly that he does not understand the difference between biological evolution and abiogenesis. In spite of the fact that this has been explained to him repeatedly for well over a week now. Yet he continues to treat biological evolution and abiogenesis as if they are the same thing.
[center]Image
[/center]

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #27

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 15 by theStudent]

Sure, start with the most famous observed instance of evolution, Lenski and co's long term evolution experiment:
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... real-time/

Fossils discovered in situ, and a transitional one to boot:
http://www.nature.com/news/rival-specie ... rd-1.16469

As for the discovery of fossils coming before the concepts of dinosaur, outside of the discovery of bones of dragons etc. in antiquity, the first modern discovery was in 1676, and it wasn't until over a century later was "dinosaurs" is a thing in 1841:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalosau ... and_naming

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #28

Post by Bust Nak »

ttruscott wrote: Calling the micro changes of living things that we can see and breed for by intelligent intervention to be the same thing as the un-proven random change from one species to another is not yet acceptable. afaIk
Okay, but that's moot since we have repeatable macro changes of living things that we can see evolve into another species naturally, are you suggesting that empirical evidence isn't acceptable either?

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 10 by theStudent]

Hi, theStudent.

It's good that you want to investigate the TOE.
It's no use to fall for religious propaganda and misinformation.

Scientists don't have an answer for EVERYTHING.. but that doesn't mean they know NOTHING.
theStudent wrote: Hi
Would you tend to agree that when you get a cut, you bleed?

I think that everyone can agree with that.

theStudent wrote:Would you also agree that when you bleed, if the cut is not extreme, that after some time, you notice the blood congeal?
Again. Yes.
theStudent wrote:Is this not a natural function that we humans have come and found, and after scientific research, learned about it, and got a bit of understanding as to how it works, and why it works?
Pretty much, I guess.
theStudent wrote:So, what about that proves that evolution was responsible?
Scientists don't pretend to be able to PROVE everything, if anything at all.. with limited HISTORICAL data... we just don't have a time machine to go check all the animals that ever existed to answer your question perfectly. IF you can generally trust scientists to do their JOBS... you might want to take them seriously.

We are talking about scientists, not preachers.

I found this.. and it's a bit technical.. actual science is, generally:

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/ ... tting.html

The last paragraph sums it up...

"Now, it would not be fair, just because we have presented a realistic evolutionary scheme, supported by gene sequences from modern organisms, to suggest that we now know exactly how the clotting system has evolved. That would be making far too much of our limited ability to reconstruct the details of the past. But nonetheless, there is little doubt that we do know enough to develop a plausible and scientifically valid scenario for how it might have evolved. And that scenario makes specific predictions that can be tested and verified against the evidence."
theStudent wrote:We observe things every day don't we? But, we don't form an opinion about it, based on a belief we have, do we?
And that's NOT how good science happens. The TOE is a scientific THEORY, and not a BELIEF. The theory can be TESTED against the facts.

Maybe that's how CREATIONISM happens. Belief in creation first, opinions to support the belief, later.

I guess it's who you are more likely to TRUST to tell you about the TOE... a preacher or a scientist?

:)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #30

Post by Clownboat »

theStudent wrote:I prefer to be the reasonable person.
Darwin himself admitted
To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/

Why must you be dishonest? Is it OK to lie for your god?
This is Darwin and is the part you left out of your dishonest quote mine above:
"Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certain the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, should not be considered as subversive of the theory."
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ce/3/part8.html

theStudent wrote:Let me repeat it for the last time hopefully.
I... Do... Not... Have... A... Problem... With... Science...
I... Have... A... Problem... With... The... Claim... That... EVOLUTION... Is... Responsible... For... Life... On... Earth.
Gah! Only creationists and others that don't understand evolution say such things.
You might as well be saying that marshmallows are responsible for life on earth.
:no:

I must assume that you have a desire for evolution to be false so you can maintain some religious belief. I say this after noting your dishonest quote mine and your continued lack of understanding of both evolution and abiogenesis.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb