Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

logical thinking
Apprentice

Why do you believe in God?

Post #1

Post by logical thinking »

What specific argument or evidence is it, that persuades you?

Can you please outline the argument or piece of evidence that you believe is the STRONGEST reason to believe in God?

For example, is it the beauty and majesty of trees? Is it the Kalam Cosmological argument? Pascal's wager? Is it that you witnessed what you believe is a miracle? Is it the fact that you think the Bible contains prophecies? Is it because it feels good to believe in something greater than yourself?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #231

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 230 by Zzyzx]

So you are claiming superiority for non-belief or non-affiliation? Are you claiming to be part of an "elite" group that is fundamentally better than the majority?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Re: Why do you believe in God?

Post #232

Post by Justin108 »

EduChris wrote: I believe in God for the simple reason that there is absolutely no good reason to believe in any alternate theory that has ever been proposed.
Having no alternative explanation is not a good reason to believe in a given one. If you tell your child that babies come from storks, is he justified in believing this claim simply because he has no alternative? There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know where we came from"
EduChris wrote:As humans, we are inveterate makers of meaning. Only theism can infuse consciousness with meaning. Non-theism renders consciousness absurd; theism, by contrast, allows the possibility that reality--at its most fundamental level--consists of a living, loving, relational agency which intends to create a symphony of unique, individual, conscious agents also capable of sharing loving relationships.
In short, theism sounds nicer. It sounds preferable. But whether something is preferable or not has nothing to do with whether it is true. This is like saying "I don't believe in the Holocaust because I prefer it if the Holocaust never happened". Yes, theism sounds nicer, but so what?

JLB32168

Post #233

Post by JLB32168 »

Zzyzx wrote:Thus, a blanket statement is justified if one member of a group says something. Right?
I made no blanket statement, “Atheists are . . .� I commented on one specific atheist’s comment and used it as a teachable moment for a/theist alike. That you were offended by good advice – “People who live in glass houses should not throw stones� – is your affair.

KenRU
Guru

Post #234

Post by KenRU »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 230 by Zzyzx]

So you are claiming superiority for non-belief or non-affiliation? Are you claiming to be part of an "elite" group that is fundamentally better than the majority?
Wouldn't that sentiment be better applied to virtually every religion ever created? Being favored (or chosen) by a (supposedly existent) all powerful entity is about as elite as one can get, no?

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg