Theists believe in gods

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
JLB32168 wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: It must be very, very difficult for some to understand that:

Theists believe in gods
Atheists do not believe in gods

Some Theists expound upon their beliefs. Some Atheists expound upon their non-belief (or challenge claims, stories, testimonials offered by Theists as though such things constituted evidence of knowledge of one or more of the thousands of proposed invisible, undetectable, supernatural entities).

Not all Theists say the same thing or have the same “world view�. Not all Atheists say the same things or have the same “world view�.
I understand the spin and my calling it “spin� pretty much shows why I reject it.
What about the above can be rationally disputed?

What, if anything, is "spin".

What is to be rejected?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

SkyChief
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by SkyChief »

I don't see any "spin" in the statement.

It all makes sense to me. I dislike the term "atheist worldview" because it is so utterly non-descriptive.

A person's worldview could be anything, the modifier "atheist" in front of it only means that person doesn't believe in gods.

But not believing in gods per se, is not a worldview.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

SkyChief wrote: I don't see any "spin" in the statement.

It all makes sense to me. I dislike the term "atheist worldview" because it is so utterly non-descriptive.

A person's worldview could be anything, the modifier "atheist" in front of it only means that person doesn't believe in gods.

But not believing in gods per se, is not a worldview.
Many people do not believe that there is a Santa Claus. But not believing in Santa is never described as a "world view." A case could be made I suppose that there are those that hold a "make believe" world view, and those that do not. But even those that hold a make believe world view generally recognize that the overwhelming majority of make believe, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc., is not real. Atheist simply take not subscribing in make believe to it's logical conclusion.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

JLB32168

Post #4

Post by JLB32168 »

SkyChief wrote:It all makes sense to me. I dislike the term "atheist worldview" because it is so utterly non-descriptive.
Except that it’s no not-descriptive and theists believe this because atheists by and large all articulate the same moral/ethical positions on almost all subjects. A rudimentary search of the internet will produce thousands of hits on “atheist worldview� that are written by atheists themselves.

The reason you guys are always rebutting this and it won’t die is because your argument – that “atheist worldview� is a nonsense concept simply isn’t true – even among atheists, and it is exceedingly hard to defend a manifestly false position.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

JLB32168 wrote:Except that it’s no not-descriptive and theists believe this because atheists by and large all articulate the same moral/ethical positions on almost all subjects.
That may be so, but not because we are atheists, but because we are liberals - by and large we atheists articulate the same moral/ethical positions on almost all subjects with liberal theists.
A rudimentary search of the internet will produce thousands of hits on “atheist worldview� that are written by atheists themselves.
I am going to ask you to give me some numbers on that. I googled it and only one article from 3 pages of results is written by atheist supporting the concept, and even there he calls it a proposal.
The reason you guys are always rebutting this and it won’t die is because your argument – that “atheist worldview� is a nonsense concept simply isn’t true – even among atheists, and it is exceedingly hard to defend a manifestly false position.
That doesn't stop you from trying it.

JLB32168

Post #6

Post by JLB32168 »

Bust Nak wrote:That may be so, but not because we are atheists, but because we are liberals - by and large we atheists articulate the same moral/ethical positions on almost all subjects with liberal theists.
“Liberal theist� is a laughable oxymoron. They overwhelmingly believe only in this world. They have neither experience nor knowledge of, nor faith in the other world. The liberal theist has to elevate the mundane to the miraculous such as the “miracle� of birth, an alleged extraordinary manifestation of divine intervention in human affairs that’s been done seven billion times in the past five decades [eyeroll].

Most of all, they believe in a “god� who is not powerful enough to raise men from the dead. They should chuck theism for its opposite and then they would be honest.
Bust Nak wrote:I am going to ask you to give me some numbers on that. I googled it and only one article from 3 pages of results is written by atheist supporting the concept, and even there he calls it a proposal.
Several thousand, such as “Atheism as a Positive Worldview,� “AN ATHEIST'S WORLD VIEW Blogspot,� a YouTube video called “Atheist on the Atheist Worldview� explained that the Atheist world view was “it’s the exact same worldview – pretty much – as everyone else, except for we don’t think there’s a god.� Another says, “Atheist Ireland is an Irish advocacy group. We promote atheism and reason over superstition and supernaturalism, [. . .]. Atheist Ireland is a member of Atheist Alliance International, an umbrella organisation of groups and individuals in the United States and around the world committed to promoting and defending reason and the atheist worldview.� Another The Atheist Missionary says, “For those who follow the discussion threads on this blog, you will see that several theist commentators have been criticizing the atheist worldview as devoid of meaning.� Andy the atheist says, "The atheist’s worldview is driven by pure rationality, reason, and the scientific method. The result of this is that most atheists hold the theory of evolution to be true, and they reject the possibility of the spiritual world and an afterlife." "[He] believes that atheism is the most rational and reasonable worldview, sometimes because of the ‘damage’ done by religion throughout the centuries, but mainly because it seems to be the most consistent with the observable world according to the scientific method." I can find more if you’d like.

Suffice it to say that the definition of “worldview� is varied. Oxford says, “a particular philosophy of life or conception of the world.� Merriam-Webster says it’s “a comprehensive conception or apprehension of the world especially from a specific standpoint.� Another said that a worldview was the word “commonly used to describe an individual's set of beliefs which affect the way they see and respond to the world.�

Atheist organizations have various and sundry stated purposes such as “to develop and propagate a social philosophy in which humankind is central and must itself be the source of strength, progress, and ideals for the well-being and happiness of humanity,� which is a particular philosophy that is comprehensive in nature and for them is how they conceive or apprehend the world and how mankind should proceed to “promote the study of the arts and sciences and of all problems affecting the maintenance, perpetuation, and enrichment of human (and other) life,� and “to encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical system stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual in relation to society.�

That sounds like a worldview to me (and would to most reasonable people) and it comports with all of the definitions that I provided. As I stated previously you guys always have to address this because to say that “atheist worldview� is a nonsense talk simply isn’t true unless you guys introduce a novel definition of “worldview.� You are constantly having to address this because it is exceedingly hard to defend a manifestly false position, namely “There is no ‘atheist worldview’.� Clearly there is.

KenRU
Guru

Theists believe in gods

Post #7

Post by KenRU »

JLB32168 wrote:
SkyChief wrote:It all makes sense to me. I dislike the term "atheist worldview" because it is so utterly non-descriptive.
Except that it’s no not-descriptive and theists believe this because atheists by and large all articulate the same moral/ethical positions on almost all subjects. A rudimentary search of the internet will produce thousands of hits on “atheist worldview� that are written by atheists themselves.

Or, and hear me out now, we protest it because it is not true. It is not true on a definitional level, it is not true on a philosophical level and it is not true on a common sense level.

People can invent whatever spin or philosophy they like - it doesn't make it true.

If I began asserting that I am a Christian, but I don't believe Christ was the son of god, that there was no virgin birth, that he never performed miracles, and that god was a female Muslim sitting on top of Mount Olympus reading the Bhagavad Gita. Would that make me, by any definition, a Christian?

No, and nothing stops me from asserting it, and so what. My asserting it means nothing.

There are certain properties that make one a Christian, as I'm sure you would agree.

And, shockingly, there is a certain criteria that makes one an atheist. A lack of belief in god or gods. That's it. Just look up the word in the dictionary and it tells you what that criteria is.

Anything beyond that falls into the invented and made up category. And it in no way shape or form relates to the definition of the word.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

JLB32168

Re: Theists believe in gods

Post #8

Post by JLB32168 »

KenRU wrote:Or, and hear me out now, we protest it because it is not true.
Yes – I know. While some atheists might refer to their “atheist worldview,� and while various and sundry definitions of “worldview� might comport 100% with the stated “Aims and Principles� (the American Atheists organization’s exact words) of atheist organizations, we should in no way infer that this implies such a thing as an “atheist worldview.�
  • [font=Times New Roman]
  • Marsha said, “But how can you say that in the face of this evidence?â€�
  • John reached for a cigarette and responded vitriolically, “Don’t confuse me with facts!!â€�[/font]
KenRU wrote:People can invent whatever spin or philosophy they like - it doesn't make it true.
I suppose the irony of that statement is lost on many.

KenRU
Guru

Re: Theists believe in gods

Post #9

Post by KenRU »

JLB32168 wrote:
KenRU wrote:Or, and hear me out now, we protest it because it is not true.
Yes – I know. While some atheists might refer to their “atheist worldview,� and while various and sundry definitions of “worldview� might comport 100% with the stated “Aims and Principles� (the American Atheists organization’s exact words) of atheist organizations, we should in no way infer that this implies such a thing as an “atheist worldview.�
  • [font=Times New Roman]
  • Marsha said, “But how can you say that in the face of this evidence?â€�
  • John reached for a cigarette and responded vitriolically, “Don’t confuse me with facts!!â€�[/font]
KenRU wrote:People can invent whatever spin or philosophy they like - it doesn't make it true.
I suppose the irony of that statement is lost on many.
Why don't we just look at what you wrote instead: "... and while various and sundry definitions of “worldview� might comport 100% with the stated “Aims and Principles� (the American Atheists organization’s exact words) of atheist organizations, we should in no way infer that this implies such a thing as an “atheist worldview.�"

It is the world view of the American Atheists Organization. Seems like a simple concept to me.

The only irony I see is that your own post plainly states that the American Atheist Organization has (and other atheist organizations have) a world view. The organizations.

Perhaps this will help...

What is a theist's worldview?

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

JLB32168

Post #10

Post by JLB32168 »

KenRU wrote:It is the world view of the American Atheists Organization. Seems like a simple concept to me.
Right – an atheist organization articulates a set of positions that they say comprise an atheist worldview, and you say that it’s their “atheist worldview.�

Earlier you said, “People can invent whatever spin or philosophy they like - it doesn't make it true.� Are your opinions more true than American Atheists’ opinions? If an internationally known organization refers to their atheist worldview, is there any reason that I should defer to the opinions of some atheists on the DebatingChristianity.com website instead?
KenRU wrote:The only irony I see is that your own post plainly states that the American Atheist Organization has (and other atheist organizations have) a world view.
Right – several atheist organizations speak about their advocacy for an atheist worldview, but you say that “atheist worldview� is a nonsense word and you’re right and anyone who agrees with the other atheists is misrepresenting/lying/fill in the blank.

“Who are you, a theist, to tell me that an atheist worldview exists?!?�

“I didn’t tell you that an atheist worldview exists. Other atheists have. You guys need to get together, get on the same page, and stop harping on the divisions w/in Christianity. in other words, sweep off your own front porch. Sheesh!�