misleading debate posts

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

mms20102
Scholar

misleading debate posts

Post #1

Post by mms20102 »

why moderators doesn't include on topic only discussion to maintain fair debate other than going to sidetracked ?

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

Detours in any debate topic are common universally. More often than not, the point being argued is related to the original post. At any time, people are free to address the diversion and bring the discussion back to the original topic. Additionally, a report option has been made available so that forum goers can actively attempt to request moderator intervention to bring a discussion back to the original topic.

To put it bluntly, your question is hollow.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #3

Post by mms20102 »

Well is the question is easy if i debate a person and he keeps dodging the debate and don't answer the existing evidence and give no evidence how it could be called a debate ?!

A debate means each one give evidence and criticize the other person evidence by logic and stronger evidence until the truth is emerged ..

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 3 by mms20102]
mms20102 wrote: Well is the question is easy if i debate a person and he keeps dodging the debate and don't answer the existing evidence and give no evidence how it could be called a debate ?!

A debate means each one give evidence and criticize the other person evidence by logic and stronger evidence until the truth is emerged ..

Whoever makes the positive claim has the burden of the proof.

When it comes to the "God" debate....

Atheists don't believe in any gods.
Theists do.

Some theist might say something like:

" I believe God exists".

To which an atheist might say something like:

"I don't believe God exists.".

So, you seem to be saying that the atheist has something to prove. Let's say that's the case. In a way, it is.

So, the theist is right to ask:

"Prove that God doesn't exist".

To which, the practiced atheist might reply:

" I can't".

Does that mean the theist won the debate by DEFAULT?

1. If you answer NO,

The burden of the proof goes to the theist. The theist now has to try to prove that God DOES exist.

2. If you answer YES.....

It would mean that everything that the atheist cannot prove exists.

I hope that helps.

:)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

As a moderator, I would say that if we were to put warnings and comments in for every time someone went off topic, most people here would be banned by now, including myself.

It's the nature of forums. You can of course report posts like that, but it's likely action will only be taken if the offender is deliberately trying to cause trouble or is breaking other forum rules in the process.

People also get annoyed when members try to make too many rules with regards to their topics they have started. If you are not a moderator the question for some may be "Why must we follow your rules?"

Maybe Otseng has some comments on this one?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

mms20102
Scholar

Post #6

Post by mms20102 »

I have had tried to making rules myself and i thought its silly to do so but imagine every time you ask some one he just can't answer but keeps on arguing it really makes the debate from being a debate to courses through Christianity or any other religion

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 6 by mms20102]
mms20102 wrote: I have had tried to making rules myself and i thought its silly to do so but imagine every time you ask some one he just can't answer but keeps on arguing it really makes the debate from being a debate to courses through Christianity or any other religion

Answering "I don't know" is a good answer. We don't have to pretend to know everything. Some people can't tolerate that they don't know everything.

Humans really LIKE to know as much as possible, and in fact, some people PRETEND to know... Because they would like to know so much.

Nobody likes to admit that they pretend when they ARE. It happened to me. It was shocking. I used to believe.. and thought I KNEW what I believed was "true". But, bit by bit, I found out that I was really just PRETENDING to know.

When I was pretending like that, it felt good at the time.

But sometimes, we grow up and don't find JUST pretending satisfying. So, to admit that we don't KNOW is alright.

We can't know everything.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #8

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 7 by Blastcat]

its good if you say I don't know and bad at the same time because if you know u can debate If you don't its hard to convince you about something u already don't know

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 8 by mms20102]
mms20102 wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Blastcat]

its good if you say I don't know and bad at the same time because if you know u can debate If you don't its hard to convince you about something u already don't know
Concerning : "its hard to convince you about something u already don't know":

P1. I don't need to be convinced about something that I think I ALREADY KNOW.
P2.
I would perhaps need to be convinced about something that I DON'T ALREADY KNOW.
C3.
THEREFORE, if a theist wants to prove to me that I don't KNOW something ( like a god exists ) they should DEMONSTRATE to me what I don't know. What evidence for the existence of a god DO I NOT KNOW?
If the theist makes a great case, I will also believe. If the theist makes a poor case, I will continue not believing.

Concerning ignorance and the burden of the proof:

P1. I don't know about the Quran very much. BUT I can Google things.
P2. I don't know anything about any god. BUT, I can be explained what others believe about them.
P3. So, if the theist wants to prove something to me, they should explain what they DO believe, and what leads THEM to believe. I will not believe along with theists if their evidence is too poor or if their reasoning is bad.
P4. It's a very common and completely USELESS tactic to attempt to shift the burden of the proof when trying to PROVE something exists, like a god.
C5. Therefore, theists would do well to STOP complaining about the ignorance of others, and just get ON with their demonstrations.

:)

mms20102
Scholar

Post #10

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 9 by Blastcat]

that's the thing you get convinced according to only your standards you ignore others experience ... If you consider more literate people opinion that can help but only accepting your standards is thing we should all give up in fact no matter knowledge we got its not even part of one drop of water in sea