Moderator: Moderators

RonE
Scholar

Proof of the Christian God

Post #1

Post by RonE »

In a current topic there was the following post:
Kenisaw wrote:
theStudent wrote: Merely saying something is true does not make it true….
We as humans like to have proof.
Gullible people accept things, because it suits them…
And yet theists continue to claim that a creator being exists and that it made everything, despite repeatedly failing to provide any evidence to substantiate the claim....
I’ve seen other posts in the past on this site where theist claim to have scientific evidence of God. I never seen this actually done, usually their evidence is never presented, if something is presented it is invariably misquoted, or doesn’t say what the presenter claims it does.
So, to help us not be “gullible people�. This topic will be dedicated to theists to provide that which has been claimed but never provided, to my knowledge, real scientific evidence of the Christian god.
First, some definitions and parameters for debate:
1. Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support, or counter, a scientific theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and interpreted in accordance with scientific methods. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls applied. Wikipedia
2. The scientific hypothesis you will be trying to support with your evidence goes like this: “there is a god as defined in the Christian bible who is omnificent, omnipotent, omniscient, etc. and creator of the universe�.
3. This is not a debate about evolution, disproving evolution is not a proof that your god exists. Nor is it about attempting to debunk other scientific hypothesis or theories, unless doing so is direct proof that your god exists, disproving the theory of gravity is not evidence of your god.
4. Please follow the forum rules. “the Bible or other religious writings are not to be considered evidence for scientific claims.�

The rules for this debate are simple:
1) present your scientific evidence of your god
2) see #1

If you don’t have the evidence, please don’t waste everyone’s time.
If you don't like the OP create one for your own topic.
*"On the other hand, we have people who are believers who are so completely sold on the literal interpretation of the first book of the Bible that they are rejecting very compelling scientific data about the age of the earth and the relatedness of living beings." Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
*The Atheist has the comfort of no fears for an afterlife and lacks any compulsion to blow himself up.
* Science flies to you the moon.... religion flies you into buildings.
* Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.

Neatras
Guru

Re: Proof of the Christian God

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 1 by RonE]

It's no good, Ron. theStudent is the kind of person for whom the scientific process is nothing more than a scapegoat for him to parade his anti-intellectual egotistical grandstanding about how deluded we all are for believing in evolution.

He makes the sweeping claims that literally all evidence in the entire universe is automatically evidence for Creationism, and will resort to the same arguments from complexity and incredulity to try and pass off any criticism. It's a sick game he's playing, and one that has expertly slipped under the radar of the forum's rules under the guise of friendly debate. In reality, he uses it as his own personal hammer to smack down all evidence to the contrary by asserting that it isn't even evidence at all, because it doesn't explain some arbitrary point that wasn't even related to the discussion.

This is what I expect to see, and what I anticipate will follow from this OP's premise. It's hopeless.

RonE
Scholar

Post #3

Post by RonE »

[Replying to post 2 by Neatras]

Yes, your exactly correct. I don't really expect him to show up but hope he does.
*"On the other hand, we have people who are believers who are so completely sold on the literal interpretation of the first book of the Bible that they are rejecting very compelling scientific data about the age of the earth and the relatedness of living beings." Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
*The Atheist has the comfort of no fears for an afterlife and lacks any compulsion to blow himself up.

JLB32168

Post #4

Post by JLB32168 »

RonE wrote: The rules for this debate are simple:
2) see #1
Present evidence produced by the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment of your entity whose existence is attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

I’ll get right on that. :roll:

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 2 by Neatras]

:warning: Moderator Warning

Is is in extremely poor taste, and against the rules, to criticize another member on the forum, especially when he isn't even debating on that particular thread. To avoid future warnings, please stick to the debate topics.

Thanks

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

RonE
Scholar

Post #6

Post by RonE »

[Replying to post 4 by JLB32168]
JLB32168 wrote:
RonE wrote: The rules for this debate are simple:
2) see #1
Present evidence produced by the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment of your entity whose existence is attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.

I’ll get right on that. :roll:
Good, by the way you might see if there is something you can do to backup your claims that your god exists in the supernatural world, some evidence that such a thing exists for your god to exist in. Get it? Extraordinary claims require... ah you know the rest.

JLB32168

Post #7

Post by JLB32168 »

RonE wrote: Good, by the way you might see if there is something you can do to backup your claims that your god exists in the supernatural world, some evidence that such a thing exists for your god to exist in. Get it? Extraordinary claims require... ah you know the rest.
Supernatural claims cannot be verified by natural methods. If they could then they wouldn’t be called “supernatural.�

I can’t prove God exists. Is the fact that you don’t have proof; therefore, you don’t believe He does exist, supposed to be of some import to me?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 7:
JLB32168 wrote: Supernatural claims cannot be verified by natural methods. If they could then they wouldn’t be called “supernatural.�
I submit they can't be verified by any means.
JLB32168 wrote: I can’t prove God exists.
I've yet to find anyone that could.
JLB32168 wrote: Is the fact that you don’t have proof; therefore, you don’t believe He does exist, supposed to be of some import to me?
I propose that if it weren't important to you, you wouldn't have posted twice now in this thread.

Don't it beat all, the Christian finds it so important to tell us all about their favored god, they just don't find it important to show they speak truth.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 2:

Paraphrasing to eliminate reference to any individual...
Neatras wrote: It's no good, Ron. [Some theists are] the kind of person for whom the scientific process is nothing more than a scapegoat for him to parade his anti-intellectual egotistical grandstanding about how deluded we all are for believing in evolution.
We shouldn't be too shocked when the promoters of a book so full of violence and vitriol for others set to violencin' and vitriolin'. They know no better, poor things.
Neatras wrote: [They make] the sweeping claims that literally all evidence in the entire universe is automatically evidence for Creationism, and will resort to the same arguments from complexity and incredulity to try and pass off any criticism. It's a sick game he's playing, and one that has expertly slipped under the radar of the forum's rules under the guise of friendly debate. In reality, he uses it as his own personal hammer to smack down all evidence to the contrary by asserting that it isn't even evidence at all, because it doesn't explain some arbitrary point that wasn't even related to the discussion.
That ain't no hammer, it's a rubber mallet, incapable of driving nails in the coffin of science.
Neatras wrote: This is what I expect to see, and what I anticipate will follow from this OP's premise. It's hopeless.
I predict you've effectively headed off such arguments. And, I find it fun just watchin' 'em flail about, nothing hopeless in that :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

JLB32168 wrote: I can’t prove God exists. Is the fact that you don’t have proof; therefore, you don’t believe He does exist, supposed to be of some import to me?
It IS important in honorable, reasoned debate to avoid making claims that cannot be shown to be true and accurate.

Joey says it well
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence