John 19:31

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

John 19:31

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

Since the verse is pointing out that the day was a high day, does that imply that it was ok to leave someone on a cross on a normal weekly Sabbath?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: John 19:31

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by rstrats]

No I don't think so; I think John's comment was rather an aside to idenfity the signficants of the the day but isn't there a scripture that says that bodies were not to be left on stakes over night?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
No I don't think so; I think John's comment was rather an aside to idenfity the signficants of the the day but isn't there a scripture that says that bodies were not to be left on stakes over night?
He was crucified by the Romans and they would not have been too troubled over local superstitions.

All the same, they seem to have been remarkably accommodating in their concessions about Christ's body.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
He was crucified by the Romans and they would not have been too troubled over local superstitions.
No doubt but since it was the Jews that hurried to get the body down before the Sabbath, my question was regard to them (The Jews, ie the same people that were concerned with what would happen to the body, in relation to their Jewish tradition).
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

dio9
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]

I thought Romans left the crucified bodies on the cross for a while to horrify the population. A crucified body was usually left to decay on the cross. (Wikipedia)